You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Putting the range thing into practise.

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
get the money in all day long, if you had beenn beating up on him previuosly i would just 4bet/call ~ £8

Comments

• edited July 2010
    This guy is a very solid mid stakes (nl30-50) reg.

When he 3 bets me pre flop, I can VERY confidently put him on a range of JJ+ and AQs+

Bearing that in mind, how should I react on the turn.

I had been beating him up all afternoon on 2 tables, so I have to factor in the chance of him losing the plot/tilting/playing a tad wider/3 betting me pre with air (however slim this %age is).

I really can't see him shoving the turn with less than ace king, so is it stupid to fold my hand in this spot? - Or is it sometimes a standard fold?

I kick myself sometimes, about convincing myself a hand is "too good to fold"

Re-assure me, that this is foldable?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    xxxSmall blind  £0.15 £0.15 £27.89
    SadLoner69 Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £83.38
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

DOHHHHHHH Raise  £1.20 £1.65 £97.35
    DOBOSMBSH Fold     
    Tonik Fold     
    xxx Raise  £3.75 £5.40 £24.14
    SadLoner69 Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Call  £2.70 £8.10 £94.65
    Flop

• Q
    • A

xxx Bet  £6.08 £14.18 £18.06
    DOHHHHHHH Call  £6.08 £20.26 £88.57
    Turn

xxx All-in  £18.06 £38.32 £0.00
  • edited July 2010

So my mistake was pre flop?

And u stack off the turn as a no brainer?
  • edited July 2010
    fine to flat AK IP, OOP id rather 4bet/call off.

if the range you put him on is JJ+, AQs+, what is he shoving the turn with, only hands that make sense given your range are AQ/AA/QQ/AK which you are doing bad against.

You say they could be tilted etc etc, have you noticed this in any of there play today? if so id prob call it off, otherwise based purlely on your range, I dont see what you beat.
  • edited July 2010
    I can't see why you would ever fold here, no flush or str8 out, just get it in !
  • edited July 2010

Im calling to split........

He hardly ever has any other hand .... (if ever)
  • edited July 2010
    its a tough spot for sure with the reads you are telling us. I dont know if I like a raise get it in on the flop, because are we folding out better? Do you think they are doing this with AJo? or even gutters like KJ/K10.

I think i would actally like the c-c line more then raise on the flop, as we can get them to bet with worse like KK/ Ax
  • edited July 2010
    Snap call TBH.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Putting the range thing into practise.:
    Im calling to split........ He hardly ever has any other hand .... (if ever)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    He could easily be turning KK/JJ into a bluff here as well if you've been pushing him about, imo.

• edited July 2010
    After analysing this for a while I fold. Realtime I call, make a Homer Simpsonesque noise when he shows AQ or QQ and then console myself by saying so d it i'm still nicely in profit and i'll win back what i've just lost off the other 3 d onks on the table
  • edited July 2010
    what does beating him up mean? how many times have you 3bet him? how many has he 3 bet you etc etc 

Call pre is fine some portion obviously, raise flop smallish is an option if you're going to call 3 bets regularly, once you call flop call turn.
  • edited July 2010
    If his range is exactly AQ, AK, AA, QQ on the turn then you don't have the odds to call.

But... i always call here... how sure are you about your read on this player? I guess that's what it really comes down to...
  • edited July 2010
    Also the whole idea of using the word range is you analyse it on each street not just pf!
  • edited July 2010
    what does beating him up mean? how many times have you 3bet him? how many has he 3 bet you etc etc  Call pre is fine some portion obviously, raise flop smallish is an option if you're going to call 3 bets regularly, once you call flop call turn.
    Posted by beaneh
    Id been 3 betting him lots pre flop, 3 betting/check raising flops, taking him off hands on the turn, and tanking rivers, both with and without the nuts.

He's a realllly solid player, I wud have left if someone was doing that to me, he did well to hold it together.

With all the above comments, the only thing that could convince me that this is a call, is the tilt factor. But I have no evidence that he is tilting (see post below), I just suspect that this may be the start of it....

On the turn, when he shoves....Im almost certain he has ace queen/ace king/QQ or AA. Ace queen is the very bottom of his 3 betting range, and that itself, could indicate abit of tilt.

Like I said in the above post, by calling here, the best I could really hope for is a split pot. The doubt in the back of my mind though, was that he could be tilting.

I just wanted re-assurance that the hand here is foldable, given the reads I have.

.....It seems however, that it aint foldable!
  • edited July 2010
    its a tough spot for sure with the reads you are telling us. I dont know if I like a raise get it in on the flop, because are we folding out better? Do you think they are doing this with AJo? or even gutters like KJ/K10. I think i would actally like the c-c line more then raise on the flop, as we can get them to bet with worse like KK/ Ax
    Posted by harvey23
    He's never 3 betting pre flop with these hands.....

These hands I suppose are possible on the flop, but very unlikely given his narrow 3 betting range.

I suppose I could widen his pre flop range to AJsuited + and maybe TT+ given the way the table had played, but can't stress enough how unlikely TT and AJs are pre flop, and can almost rule them out 100% when he shoves the turn.

Im positive the range of hands he could have on the turn, are AA, AK, AQ, QQ.

The chance of him having anything other than these 4 hands is so slim, that surely it isn't even worth considering? -

As for every hero call I get right (and it would be a hero call with this villain) , Im stacking off all the other times, making this a low percentage play?

I have no reads/evidence that he's tilting, maybe opening more pots than usual across the 2 tables, but havent got to see any of the hands.

He limp raised me pre flop about half an hour before the hand, with ace king, which was unusual for him, and may be an indicator of him trying to make something happen/take a stand, but I would hardly class that as concrete evidence of a guy on tilt.

• edited July 2010
    does he ever 3 bet suited connectors? JTs maybe? if so that alone is more combos with double gutters and possible fds.

IF he's a good player he wont just be 3 betting QQ+. 
  • edited July 2010

To beat nl30 on sky, you don't have to do anything at all.

The standard is woeful (although this week, there has been an influx of multi tabling nl30-ers - I suspect they are Harveys Ipoker m8s, who have definitely spiced things up and made it more entertaining)

I dont think this guy is ever 3 betting suited connectors, there really isn't a need and he knows this.
  • edited July 2010
    To beat nl30 on sky, you don't have to do anything at all. The standard is woeful (although this week, there has been an influx of multi tabling nl30-ers - I suspect they are Harveys Ipoker m8s, who have definitely spiced things up and made it more entertaining) I dont think this guy is ever 3 betting suited connectors, there really isn't a need and he knows this.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

so call lots of 3 bets and make hands and get paid/move him off QQ/KK on A high boards?!

also if he's only 3betting QQ+ i'd be labelling him weak tight not solid. remember you're not 'nl30' thats the other players at the table if he knows what you think you know about him, then him adding a few combos of unexpected hands and he is creating an edge against you.

• edited July 2010
    lol yeh I was thinking that this morning, thats why Ive xx'd his name out, dnt think he uses the forum anyway.

So in conclusion, is it foldable? - How bad wud a fold me?

So many times I lean towards folding, but think my hand is too strong to do so.

.......And of course I made the call, stupidly, I let the idea of him "tilting" get he better of me, and he showed AQ.
  • edited July 2010
    Everything is 'foldable'. Once you dont 4bet ace king though and it comes A xx fd stacking off is pretty normal without very specific reads. 
  • edited July 2010
    4bet pre.

is this fabra btw?  he is capable of tilt 3betting light, he used to do it to me loads; not as much now but he can do it.

but yeah i dont think that you can ever fold this flop when he is less than 100bb deep tho tbh.
  • edited July 2010
    the whole point of 3betting light is to 4bet AK here.

it's not fab it's someone even more weak tight scotty.

he won't think of adjusting btw so you can put that out of your mind but i can't fold.
  • edited July 2010
    Some hands are just meant to be coolers...
  • edited July 2010
    Some hands are just meant to be coolers...
    Posted by BlackFish3
    they don't have to be if you have really good reads though :-)
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Putting the range thing into practise. : they don't have to be if you have really good reads though :-)
    Posted by beaneh
    Lol like calling with bottom pair when villain is bluffin with 95 o/s?

:-)
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Putting the range thing into practise. : Lol like calling with bottom pair when villain is bluffin with 95 o/s? :-)
    Posted by CLIOKID

must be nice to make a pair!