You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this a good lay down or not

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
playing live sng 10runners , 7500 in chips blinds 100/200. Raise from under the gun by very loose calling station i limpwith 77, flop comes 5,6,8 . Station bets 1200 into pot of 1800 i call , turn k i check station pushes all in for 1500 ????????????????????? wot do you do . I fold

Comments

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Is this a good lay down or not:
    playing live sng 10runners , 7500 in chips blinds 100/200. Raise from under the gun by very loose calling station i limpwith 77, flop comes 5,6,8 . Station bets 1200 into pot of 1800 i call , turn k i check station pushes all in for 1500 ????????????????????? wot do you do . I fold
    Posted by sdrltd55
    By the way station has qq and i would of hit str8 onriver :(
  • edited July 2010
    Don't worry about the outcome - results based thinking should be avoided! For me, you need to make decision on the flop so are my 7's with up and down draw good? It's practically the best flop you could see without another 7 so I'm happily shoving over the top as there's no guarantee of getting paid if hit 4 or 9 on turn and we could actually be ahead anyway! There should be minimum of 8 outs (potentially 10) if needed so get the money in and give yourself chance to see turn and river without getting bet off the pot! You're still in the SnG if you lose so be positive with decision on flop rather than passively looking to hit draw!
  • edited July 2010
    fold you equity in the pot is not good now on the turn. you said they are a calling station, be worried when they are betting!!
  • edited July 2010
    i woud have commited or folded on the flop

personally dont like the fold as you are getting the odds here even if you are behind also you have quite a few outs

So in answer to your question no
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this a good lay down or not:
    fold you equity in the pot is not good now on the turn. you said they are a calling station, be worried when they are betting!!
    Posted by harvey23
    +1

The key is that you have him down as a station and he has raised utg and continued firing. It is sometimes easy to label a player as a calling station (loose passive), and then when you revisit the note to just read in your mind 'loose'. There are huge differences between 'loose passive' and 'loose aggressive' playing styles which should not be forgotton.

JC
  • edited July 2010
    In my mind a calling station is a player who rarely opts to open the betting, so an UTG pre-flop raise would set off big alarm bells, I would expect his/her range to be only JJ+, maybe including AK at a stretch. I'm likely to be well behind with my 77, therefore I fold without seeing a flop.

Post flop is a slightly different matter, with 10 likely outs (4x4, 4x9, 2x7), so around 40% equity, a shove becomes more tempting.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this a good lay down or not:
    In my mind a calling station is a player who rarely opts to open the betting, so an UTG pre-flop raise would set off big alarm bells, I would expect his/her range to be only JJ+, AK at a stretch, so I'm likely to be well behind with my 77. Therefore I fold pre-flop. The flop is a slightly different matter, with 10 likely outs (4x4, 4x9, 2x7), so around 40% equity, a shove becomes more tempting.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    calling stations are usually bad players, we know there range is so strong that they are going to stack off with QQ+ on any flop that does not show an overcard, so it is profitable to call here with 77, because when we hit our set, we will get all there chips.
  • ybyb
    edited July 2010
    Fold pre
    As played shove on flop
    As played turn is pretty close but we just about have odds to call

Btw harvey effective stacks are about 18bb's I believe so with a 4x raise coming from a passive fish utg a call is definitely not profitable.