You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

rebuys

edited July 2010 in Poker Chat
is there any1 else on here who is dissapointed that there are now so many rebuy tournaments especially tonights i refuse to enter any now as i feel in a tournament u should be on a level playing feild not playing against someone with a bigger bankroll than urself this was 1 of the things i liked about skys tourneys if u r willing to risk ur chips or outsmart a player they shouldnt be back in 2 mins with more chips that is what cash games are for tournaments should b about ur ability not how many times you can afford to reby in once u r out u should be out anyone else agree

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I never play rebuy tournaments and haven't been following whether or not they are popular on the site.

I have no objection to sky introducing the tournaments but don't like how they have replaced established tournaments, as you say tonight is a prime example where I was looking to play a tournament but have decided against that since it is a rebuy.

• edited July 2010
    See what you mean but do not agree. I don't personally like Re buys but many players do so there needs to be an option to cater for their needs also. The other argument for rebuys is that you can get knocked out of a tournament because of a bad beat or a cooler, in that case having the option of re buying is good for them. If you are able to outsmart a player etc etc then surely you want him to rebuy because this adds to the prize pool and you can just outplay the villain again and make him rebuy again to add even more to the Prize pool - simples :)
  • edited July 2010

I am going to give it a go, though I prefer freezeouts myself. Maybe a 1R1A version would be better?

• edited July 2010
    1r1a tournies are good. rebuys can also be good but raking them is pooooey
  • edited July 2010
    What disappoints me most is the Friday night 2 premium tournaments are now both rebuys, I thought we were meant to get choice?

Dave
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: rebuys:
    1r1a tournies are good. rebuys can also be good but raking them is pooooey
    Posted by beaneh

That had jumped out at me as well. The usual convention is only to rake the buy in, NOTthe rebuys/addon
  • edited July 2010
    What disappoints me most is the Friday night 2 premium tournaments are now both rebuys, I thought we were meant to get choice? Dave
    Posted by SolarCarro
    Exactly this.

I was expecting to see the usual double stack freezeout tonight & was gonna have a go at it but personally I'm not gonna bother now.

I agree that rebuys are good for those that like them or if you want to try something a little different, but as solar said, the 2 main Friday night tourneys are both rebuys now so where's the choice for those that don't want to play them?
  • edited July 2010
    OP(openning poster) everyone has said the same unfortunately im with you and lately have not been playing my fave tourneys cos they have gone to rebuys, although i am in one tonight but would prefer it wasn't a rebuy

i dont mind if we have a few a night but it seems most tournaments have changed to include rebuy which i think rewards the lucky players as they will go all out to double up early on and i think it takes the skill element out of the game
  • edited July 2010
    I never play rebuy tournaments and haven't been following whether or not they are popular on the site. I have no objection to sky introducing the tournaments but don't like how they have replaced established tournaments, as you say tonight is a prime example where I was looking to play a tournament but have decided against that since it is a rebuy.
    Posted by daveydavey
    i like ur opinion sky couldve left the tourneys we all enjoyed and introduced new rebuys so we could still play in those without the rebuy option i used to play the same tournes each night but most are now rebuys
  • edited July 2010
     I am going to give it a go, though I prefer freezeouts myself. Maybe a 1R1A version would be better?
    Posted by luvBWFC
    this could be done and is a better way of encouraging better or eliminating the "il just go all in n try agin " aproach 1 rebuy 1 addon then ppl wont b so quick to play early i like playing from the start of a tourney although i fell asleep yesterday n missed the first 20 mins of a bounty hunter by time i got there i was only 200 chips down sittin on aa n 2 reraises b4 me so i got a bounty n tripled my chips but that is not always the case the tourneys should b back to normal i think and new 1s introduced wiv rebuys / addons
  • edited July 2010
    vote with ya cash--- play the 7.15 deepstack instead---only 2.20!
  • edited July 2010
    I never play rebuy tournaments and haven't been following whether or not they are popular on the site. I have no objection to sky introducing the tournaments but don't like how they have replaced established tournaments, as you say tonight is a prime example where I was looking to play a tournament but have decided against that since it is a rebuy.
    Posted by daveydavey
    THIS! i dont mind rebuys,i play them on other sites and get ok results,i like the fact that you can stay in a tourny if you get a bad beat e.t.c(or in my case donk call all your chips :( )
    but sky keep introducing a rebuy tourny at the expense of an established one,as is the case of the velocity which was a £1000 freezeout and is now a £200 rebuy so is infact no longer the same tourny......by all means add games to improve players choice,but as to the established games imo,if i aint broke..........................

cheers,dave
  • edited July 2010
    Hate them and refuse to play them. They make the first few levels a total lottery.

However, if there's a market, there's a market.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to rebuys:
    is there any1 else on here who is dissapointed that there are now so many rebuy tournaments especially tonights i refuse to enter any now as i feel in a tournament u should be on a level playing feild not playing against someone with a bigger bankroll than urself this was 1 of the things i liked about skys tourneys if u r willing to risk ur chips or outsmart a player they shouldnt be back in 2 mins with more chips that is what cash games are for tournaments should b about ur ability not how many times you can afford to reby in once u r out u should be out anyone else agree
    Posted by boabygee
    Believe it or not, there is a skill  to playing re-buy tournaments, and of  course they  can  be very lucrative.. What normally happens in re-buy  games  whether 'live' or 'online' is that  your going to  get 'lunatics' or 'bullies'  in the re-buy stages'  ! ...  Of course when  the re-buy period  ends the game then becomes  a 'freezeout' to the finish ...
    The skills required are to be able to get a 'read'on the opposition as  quickly as possible as to who's the 'aggro' players, and who is playing tight to  the 'grind', waiting for both the big hand  while also  waiting for the break period where the 'add-on' should be taken..

From a players point of you have to ask is it value, sometimes  the add-on is worth a double starting amount, so  just that  makes it something of  value ... But and this is a BIG But, I dont understand why Skypoker would want to  charge the extra 'rake'  10% on both the re-buys and 'add-on'   ..It makes no  business sense at all ??
    Poker payers aren't stupid, and this  can  only appear as  a  poke in  the eye .!

The main thing to think of when  entering a 're-buy' event is, having a plan as to  how you are going  to  play  and also knowing before you start what amount  you are  prepared to  spend on re-buys..
    For  me it  would be if it was  a £20 entry  then I'd  have to  have £100 available for the event  ..

I'd  like to  go on but i have to get back to Gotham City and the 'Bat Cave', more problems to solve there ..
    In a late night poker game  .......................re-buy !! 

• edited July 2010
    the way I look at it, If I play rebuys on other sites I get more rebuys for the same amount of money.

eg sky £2.00 + 20p + 8 rebuys (9 * 2.20)+ 1 add on @ 2.20 = £22.20

on stars for ex £2.00+20p + 8 rebuys (£2) + 1 add on @2.00 = £20.20

so i get nearly  extra rebuy on other sites.
    Also the higher the buy in the less attractive it is to play rebuys on sky solely due to the rake on rebuys

• edited July 2010
    the way I look at it, If I play rebuys on other sites I get more rebuys for the same amount of money. eg sky £2.00 + 20p + 8 rebuys (9 * 2.20)+ 1 add on @ 2.20 = £22.20 on stars for ex £2.00+20p + 8 rebuys (£2) + 1 add on @2.00 = £20.20 so i get nearly  extra rebuy on other sites. Also the higher the buy in the less attractive it is to play rebuys on sky solely due to the rake on rebuys
    Posted by teachai

8 rebuys lol
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: rebuys : 8 rebuys lol
    Posted by elsadog

I know. I'm such a cheapskate
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: rebuys : I know. I'm such a cheapskate
    Posted by teachai

awesome!
  • edited July 2010
    vote with ya cash--- play the 7.15 deepstack instead---only 2.20!
    Posted by oynutter
    I agree Oy, and I like the deepstacks but they take ages and are only OK if you have all night spare. Last night I played £2.2 Deepstack at 9.15 and it took 3 hours to come 8th and get a fiver.   Phrank.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm not a fan of rebuys but have played some with good results.... But how hard could it be to keep the original tourneys and the techy whizzkid could keep non rebuy tourneys separate from the rebuy tourneys and then you can pay your money and take your choice.......simples...
  • edited July 2010
    absolute joke, ppl on my table all rebought and topped up takes all the skill element out of it

ruining the tourneys completely i dont mind a few but not the main tournament! just about still in at mo but its a complete joke