You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker - a hobby or an addiction?

edited July 2010 in Poker Chat
I hold my hands up to playing poker quite a bit - maybe not as much as a lot of people but certainly enough for my other half to say i'm addicted, while I say that it is just a hobby.

Who is right?

I work hard full time and in the evening and weekends i often get my laptop out, log on to Sky Poker and see what tournaments are scheduled, i don't always register for a tournament but often do! When i'm playing, it is usually when my and my wife are watching tv, so it's not as if I am in another room spending time away from her.

I don't smoke, rarely drink and over the past few months have placed very few bets on football and/or the horses so essentially poker is the only form of gambling i do on a regular basis, but i have imposed a fairly small maximum monthly deposit on my account so i have to be sensible with my bankroll.

While i'd by lying if i didn't think i was a great player, i know in reality there are thousands better than me. I remember reading somewhere once that you might be the seventh best player in the world but if you sit down at a table with the best six you're onto a loser...i have my moments when i win but i know over the course of the year i will probably be 'a losing player'.

But to me it's a form of entertainment and looking at the prices of soccer tickets for the 2010/2011 season, i will get more hours entertainment out of poker for my money than watching 90 minutes of football. This weekend came 32nd/551 in Sky Sports £8kBH winning £70 and came  7th/51  in a £5 Deepstack, played for four hours and won £15, entertainment AND profit. I know that doesn't always happen but that's part of the enjoyment isn't it, having a good run, getting annoyed at bad beats, overcoming lean spells etc.

Am i right to think it's a hobby or am i sticking my head in the sand and ignoring a problem?

Your thoughts please!

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Your quite normal, and she is just being a typical moaning woman, honestly they are never happy if they aint nagging about something! I think you should definately bin her and get another, younger model in, one that cooks, cleans, and does 'extras' on demand. I could keep going on but ive got to pick the wife up from bingo in an hour lol.
  • edited July 2010

Hi Brrrr,

Good post.. for me I think it's very close to being an addiciton. There are certainly times when I blow mates out or don't go out for something because I'd rather play poker.

If i'm at home I play, don't think this applies to everyone though I'm sure a lot just see it as a hobby and to get some entertainment every now and then..

• edited July 2010
    Hello, my name is BananaDog and I am a poker addict....
    (kidding)

I'm similar to you, I work for myself and play poker (a lot! lol) but always having fun. I dont tend to reload my account and make money but as far as I'm concered its for entertainment. I also dont really drink or go to the pub etc..and to be honsest its been a really cheap and fun hobby for me! I would spend more going to get some DVD's and popcorn from blockbusters than I have spent on this site in a few months! lol
    I also play in the living room on the sofa with the family about so everyones a winner!
    I think you have to look at it differently if it interupts your normal everyday and family life, bank account etc..
    If your constantly stressed and chasing losses then thats more of a warning signal but you sound just like your having fun :o)

For me its a hobby but if I ever got good enough I would deffo do it as a job as I could quiet happily sit here 8 hours+ a day just playing! LUV IT!!!!
  • edited July 2010
    its just a hooby and can someone please come round and tell my mrs that lol!!!!!
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Poker - a hobby or an addiction?:
    its just a hooby and can someone please come round and tell my mrs that lol!!!!!
    Posted by donkeyplop
    + 1
  • edited July 2010
    i workhard to, never bet on horses/dogs football, unlike you i drink copious amounts of red wine while i play because i enjoy both. i play 5 nights a week and about 5hrs on a weekend if work allows. i used to play darts and practised those sorts of hrs then, before that i fished ( ironically the same sort of hrs ). if  i do something i put my heart and soul into it, no halve measures. some people call that an addictive personality i call it dedication!!!!