You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

God Damm calling stations

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
mattyb219 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.78
The_Don90 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £5.04
  Your hole cards
  • A

blondynka7 Call  £0.04 £0.10 £2.85
MrA Fold     
xCall  £0.04 £0.14 £6.73
mattyb219 Fold     
The_Don90 Raise  £0.12 £0.26 £4.92
blondynka7 Call  £0.12 £0.38 £2.73
xCall  £0.12 £0.50 £6.61
Flop

• A
  • K

The_Don90 Bet  £0.38 £0.88 £4.54
blondynka7 Fold     
xCall  £0.38 £1.26 £6.23
Turn

• Q

The_Don90 Bet  £0.63 £1.89 £3.91
xRaise  £3.15 £5.04 £3.08
The_Don90 All-in  £3.91 £8.95 £0.00
xCall  £1.39 £10.34 £1.69
The_Don90 Show
  • A

xShow
  • J

River

xWin Straight to the Ace £9.57  £11.26
The_Don90 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.74
ANDYSBLUES Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.70
  Your hole cards
  • A

xCall  £0.04 £0.10 £2.82
MrA Fold     
azucar Call  £0.04 £0.14 £0.64
The_Don90 Raise  £0.10 £0.24 £3.64
ANDYSBLUES Fold     
xCall  £0.08 £0.32 £2.74
azucar Call  £0.08 £0.40 £0.56
Flop

• Q
  • A

The_Don90 Bet  £0.30 £0.70 £3.34
xAll-in  £2.74 £3.44 £0.00
azucar Fold     
The_Don90 Call  £2.44 £5.88 £0.90
The_Don90 Show
  • A

xShow
  • K

Turn

River

• K

xWin Flush to the Ace £5.44  £5.44
Both of these where against the same opponent. He would fold any hand pre, actually watched him double a guy up with 64.

Comments

• edited July 2010
    If you know he wont fold anything pre why are you raising with weak hands.

The first he flopped a good draw, then called with the nuts.

The 2nd he went all in with the nut flush draw and you called with only top pair.

Personally think you should evaluate your own moves.
  • edited July 2010
    calling stations dont bluff.  hand one should be a fiarly easy fold.

hand 2 he played the hand better than you. you should fold pre but seeing as you decided to raise you made it the most lol amount ever like why even bother. K9dd is a far better hand than A9o
  • edited July 2010
    nice to see you rasing A10 in the sb rather then limping, seems like you are improving your game so congrats on that.

hand 1) i would bet fold on the turn, the will have alot of 2 pair type hands when they are rasing you, your kicker is not the best either

hand 2) A9 is not strong enough to raise pre flop with two limpers who both have postion on you, i think folding is the better play in that siutuation.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: God Damm calling stations:
    nice to see you rasing A10 in the sb rather then limping, seems like you are improving your game so congrats on that. hand 1) i would bet fold on the turn, the will have alot of 2 pair type hands when they are rasing you, your kicker is not the best either hand 2) A9 is not strong enough to raise pre flop with two limpers who both have postion on you, i think folding is the better play in that siutuation.
    Posted by harvey23

Thanks Harvey

1) fair enough. I was a little frustrated at this point and got a little to im taking your money since you took mine. (these where posted in reverse order by accident)

2) Thanks, i over rated my whole cards alot, and i think a touurnament situation A9 might have done the trick obviously not in cash,.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: God Damm calling stations : Thanks Harvey 1) fair enough. I was a little frustrated at this point and got a little to im taking your money since you took mine. (these where posted in reverse order by accident) 2) Thanks, i over rated my whole cards alot, and i think a touurnament situation A9 might have done the trick obviously not in cash,.
    Posted by The_Don90
    when i switched from SNGs to cash my biggest problem was not being able to fold TPTK/TPGK, as in SNGs these hands are usually good enough to get all the chips in with. However cash is alot differnt, the blinds never increase and you can always reload, so people dont need to make as many moves and stack off with meidum strength hands.

You will pick it up slowly just as I did, keep posting hands, i am already seeing improvements.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: God Damm calling stations : Thanks Harvey 1) fair enough. I was a little frustrated at this point and got a little to im taking your money since you took mine. (these where posted in reverse order by accident) 2) Thanks, i over rated my whole cards alot, and i think a touurnament situation A9 might have done the trick obviously not in cash,.
    Posted by The_Don90
    A9 might against other opponents in cash.

Poker is situational, you said yourself you had a good read on his play, so why go at him when you don't have much compared to whats out there when he is liable to call with draws or even better hands than top pair.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: God Damm calling stations : when i switched from SNGs to cash my biggest problem was not being able to fold TPTK/TPGK, as in SNGs these hands are usually good enough to get all the chips in with. However cash is alot differnt, the blinds never increase and you can always reload, so people dont need to make as many moves and stack off with meidum strength hands. You will pick it up slowly just as I did, keep posting hands, i am already seeing improvements.
    Posted by harvey23
    thanks again Harvey.

Im not really a DYM player, only been playing this because of my recent BR and i find them more of a reasonable challenge. 50-50 o cashing rather than top 10%. Although im confident of being in that 10% at least 60% of the time recently ive been a little card dead.

Thanks for the positive feedback.
  • edited July 2010
      After reading this i feel that one piece of advice is needed here. Look for these calling stations ,these are the players that you want to play against.These players provide great value on the cash tables and will improve your roll dramatically if you play against them right.

The key against them is to play them down the streets. This way you will know exactly what you have and not be hoping to hit the flop. When you do pick up a big hand you then over bet all the way because they will pay you off even if they only pick up a small piece. Unfortunately they will suck out on you occasionally but if you play them right they will pay you off a lot more

So in a nutshell when up against a calling station, overbet good hands, do not over value marginal holdings and never bluff against them.

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: God Damm calling stations : thanks again Harvey. Im not really a DYM player, only been playing this because of my recent BR and i find them more of a reasonable challenge. 50-50 o cashing rather than top 10%. Although im confident of being in that 10% at least 60% of the time recently ive been a little card dead. Thanks for the positive feedback.
    Posted by The_Don90
    If you're that good at MTTs why would you ever bother to play STTs and cash? I think that level of success might make you the world's most successful MTT player.
    I'd be loading as many MTTs as my laptop could handle and raking it in.

Apologies for the glib tone of those remarks but I think that a more realistic appraisal of your likely success rates will help you with your BRM.
  • edited July 2010
    playin better at last....

first hand i might raise to 16p pre, esp if one is a calling station you wanna get max value. Turn card is horrid for you tho, bet/fold is def best option, only hand you get more value from you beat is QJ that picked up a pair fishing for a straight, you beat nothing once you get raised

second hand is weaker yet you raise less pre? i dont like playing a9o oop at all its too weak, as it goes the flop is standard, tp vs fd and u lost! ul
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: God Damm calling stations : If you're that good at MTTs why would you ever bother to play STTs and cash? I think that level of success might make you the world's most successful MTT player. I'd be loading as many MTTs as my laptop could handle and raking it in. Apologies for the glib tone of those remarks but I think that a more realistic appraisal of your likely success rates will help you with your BRM.
    Posted by MereNovice

Im confident of it, doesnt mean to say i match those standards i set for myself. Alot depends on structure. Playing cash and S&G's because im not quite stroking it all the way, ive bubbled so many recently.
  • edited July 2010

These 2 hands shud be a constant reminder of why u shud keep betting good hands :)

Dont everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr slow play
  • edited July 2010
    this hand shows why at this level i love calling stations!!!!

2 hands before he had chased the flush and got there playing 2 5 diamonds!

yes sometimes they will hit but id just say if they are going to chase make them pay for it!
     Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.25
     Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.56
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

optimistCall  £0.04 £0.10 £9.57
     Fold     
    donkeyplop Raise  £0.24 £0.34 £3.67
     Fold     
     Call  £0.22 £0.56 £1.03
     Fold