You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Making money out of nothing

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I hear stories all the time about br challenges and people making a fortune from a freeroll cash. As I am unemployed at the moment, this is something I want to look into.
Has anyone got any tips for freeroll mtt play? How is it different? How should my play change?
Also, any other money making ideas in/out of poker? - Does anyone collect alluminium cans and hand them in for recycling? if so how profitable is this long term? ;)

Comments

• edited July 2010
    ive heard man hole covers get good prices at scrap metal dealers ;)
  • edited July 2010
    it is long and very very tedious doing freerolls as 1st place is usually like $3.

if u are in a financial situation where you are looking at making money form recycling cans, stop playing poker because you arent a winning player and will just keep losing. save up money from what you would have deposited and buy harrington on holdem 1&2, read them 5times each then save up enough money to deposit and play £2 STT's (£60 should be fine). if you do this and take in the information in the books AND STICK TO GAMES THAT YOU CAN AFFORD TO PLAY you will make money.
  • edited July 2010

Don't buy the books, get to ur local libary, if they don't already have them, ou can put in a request for them to buy them.

Then keep renewing them until u r done! :)

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Making money out of nothing:
    Don't buy the books, get to ur local libary, if they don't already have them, ou can put in a request for them to buy them. Then keep renewing them until u r done! :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Hi mate, (sorry Don for mis-using this thread), do the libraries round here (Doncaster) have (m)any poker books then? I always thought they wouldn't due to lack of interest. Maybe I could lend some you've made them order ;-)
  • edited July 2010

Hey, its confusing, I wanted Harrington on cash last summer to take away on Holz with me, read round the pool like, they didnt have it, so it cost me 50p to put a request in for them to buy it (think its 40 quid or summat to buy).

Anyway I'd forgot about it, and they rang me up about 3 weeks later saying it was in ready for colelction! sweet!

So got it, read it all while I was away, but with a free bar morning noon and night, i'd read it and in the morning not remember anything.

Got thru it, and few weeks ago wanted to get it to recap - as its all a blurr, and they said they havent got it!!

I know for a fact they have!!

Put a request in for Gus's every hand revealed - waiting to hear back from em.

Just ask, ya never know! - Im sure they're lying to me about H.O.Cash tho, they have it 100%
  • edited July 2010
    Hey, its confusing, I wanted Harrington on cash last summer to take away on Holz with me, read round the pool like, they didnt have it, so it cost me 50p to put a request in for them to buy it (think its 40 quid or summat to buy). Anyway I'd forgot about it, and they rang me up about 3 weeks later saying it was in ready for colelction! sweet! So got it, read it all while I was away, but with a free bar morning noon and night, i'd read it and in the morning not remember anything. Got thru it, and few weeks ago wanted to get it to recap - as its all a blurr, and they said they havent got it!! I know for a fact they have!! Put a request in for Gus's every hand revealed - waiting to hear back from em. Just ask, ya never know! - Im sure they're lying to me about H.O.Cash tho, they have it 100%
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Cheers pal.

I saw a cracking lot on ebay other month H.O.Cash 1+2 + another decent poker book (can't remember which one, maybe the theory one) all mint. I gather it went for peanuts as it was pick-up only on south coast somewhere I think :-(, such a shame. (by the way £15 each on well-known online retailer if you're interested). 
  • edited July 2010

I'll go off topic again! haha

I was looking to buy H.O.Cash 1 on ebay the other day, (i dnt understand paypal, so wudnt no how anyway).....

I saw a new one, HARRINGTON ON ONLINE CASH!

I was so excited!!!! :) haha - then I read a review of it, and alot of it is interpreting HEM and tracker stats, which just made me depressed.

I might as well just buy it, if I can figure out this paypal thing, whats wrong with just typing my card details in ffs.
  • edited July 2010
    it is long and very very tedious doing freerolls as 1st place is usually like $3. if u are in a financial situation where you are looking at making money form recycling cans, stop playing poker because you arent a winning player and will just keep losing. save up money from what you would have deposited and buy harrington on holdem 1&2, read them 5times each then save up enough money to deposit and play £2 STT's (£60 should be fine). if you do this and take in the information in the books AND STICK TO GAMES THAT YOU CAN AFFORD TO PLAY you will make money.
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    I agree with all of this. The STTs are especially good if you're unemployed and looking to make a few quid. If you put the time in you can get a nice cash 4 points bonus each month (which doubles every time you move up a buy-in level) and you can pretty much guarantee a nice bonus from finishing in the top 10 of the STT league. All on top of profit (hopefully). This is what I am currently doing.
  • edited July 2010
    I'll go off topic again! haha I was looking to buy H.O.Cash 1 on ebay the other day, (i dnt understand paypal, so wudnt no how anyway)..... I saw a new one, HARRINGTON ON ONLINE CASH! I was so excited!!!! :) haha - then I read a review of it, and alot of it is interpreting HEM and tracker stats, which just made me depressed. I might as well just buy it, if I can figure out this paypal thing, whats wrong with just typing my card details in ffs.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Send me all ya card details matey and i will get it sorted for ya,HONEST
  • edited July 2010
    it is long and very very tedious doing freerolls as 1st place is usually like $3. if u are in a financial situation where you are looking at making money form recycling cans, stop playing poker because you arent a winning player and will just keep losing. save up money from what you would have deposited and buy harrington on holdem 1&2, read them 5times each then save up enough money to deposit and play £2 STT's (£60 should be fine). if you do this and take in the information in the books AND STICK TO GAMES THAT YOU CAN AFFORD TO PLAY you will make money.
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Now im not wanting to disagree here. I wouldnt say im a losing player, my biggest problem is i withdraw too much and chase the withdraws back so i have a stronger roll again and then withdraw it.

Ive not made my re-load i said i was going to yet. I have it sitting waiting to be used, so why havent i used it, simple i had £2.22 left in my account when i woke up this morning sat down on a NL4 table and thought lets gain some experiance and see how long it lasts before i reload.

Now currently ive just bought into one but had £17.83 before i did so. That was after buying in the ToT. Now i know this isnt exactly the worlds hardest achievemet but surley that counts for something.
  • edited July 2010
    Hi Annie

Thanks. Yeap i hadnt them back, this morning. My own fault i just looked over the hands and remember why i dont play tired. Last night i couldnt do no wrong and i expected to steemroll it down.

As you said i need to take the carefree attitude, i done well when i done that.