You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

FT in a MTT (T-o-T) - Make a 'stand' or auto fold?

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Down to the last four in the T-O-T. ONE PLAYER is d/c and very short stacked. I have left players names in as this is purely a question about my actions. If I fold here, I virtually guarantee 3rd place but as the blinds were large, I felt I had to make a stand sometime.
Was this a really stooooopid move? Please answer more than just 'yes'.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancedylan12Small blind 4000.004000.00221839.74MAXALLYBig blind 8000.0012000.0038280.50 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • K
   dannyf89Fold    RICHORFORDRaise 32000.0044000.0079895.47dylan12Fold    MAXALLYAll-in 38280.5082280.500.00RICHORFORDCall 14280.5096561.0065614.97MAXALLYShow
  • Q
  • K
   RICHORFORDShow
   Flop  
  • A
   Turn  
   River  
   RICHORFORDWinTwo Pairs, 8s and 7s96561.00 162175.97

Comments

• edited July 2010

Sorry for the messed up posted hand......Chrome - say no more :)
  • edited July 2010

I think you made the correct play here. Its effectively 3 handed so KQ has every chance of being good. Couple this with being down to 5 big blinds if you fold and I think it's a no brainer. Also, I was watching this and the villain's :-) standard raise is a bit a large for my taste. So even though there's zero fold equity I definately make this play.

Further, making this play gives you considerably better than evens on your money so if you could see the cards, or you put him on an underpair, you have to call in my opinion.

JC

• edited July 2010
    meh I was gonna say fold then saw your stack size, gamboooool
  • edited July 2010
    depends on prize structure, if there is decent jump from 4th to 3rd, fold. if very small jump with a top heavy structure so 1st gets alot more then it should be a call
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: FT in a MTT (T-o-T) - Make a 'stand' or auto fold?:
    depends on prize structure, if there is decent jump from 4th to 3rd, fold. if very small jump with a top heavy structure so 1st gets alot more then it should be a call
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    The difference between 3rd & 4th was about £7 I think so I could of probably quite easily laddered up but the buy in for this was only £2.00 + 20p so I thought this was a good opportunity to gain some much needed FT play.

What hasn't come out in my posted hand is that player 4 only had about 1 3/4 BB's left. So to all the above who say it was the right play......is it still the right play given that player's stack size and him being D/C?
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: FT in a MTT (T-o-T) - Make a 'stand' or auto fold?:
    In Response to Re: FT in a MTT (T-o-T) - Make a 'stand' or auto fold? : The difference between 3rd & 4th was about £7 I think so I could of probably quite easily laddered up but the buy in for this was only £2.00 + 20p so I thought this was a good opportunity to gain some much needed FT play. What hasn't come out in my posted hand is that player 4 only had about 1 3/4 BB's left. So to all the above who say it was the right play......is it still the right play given that player's stack size and him being D/C?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Yes i think so mate. Strong opponents (ie Mr Orford :-)) will use this fact to bully you, knowing you will fold any 2 until he's gone. I know the guy was on your left but if he wasn't, and they (Dylan and Orford) wanted to be really mean (or just strong players) they could 'keep the shortstack alive' to give them longer to help themselves to your chips. Granted this might not have been going on in thiis case but it's possible and i think you were right to make the stand.
  • edited July 2010

i dont blame you here, after all it is Richard raising :P

right no player dependant would fold tihs after a raise which has effectively put you all in as you haven't much more afterwards, think a case of wrong time here mate. can be a good spot to chip up and if you want to go for the win your not going to get alot more, just have to weigh up whether you want to ladder up and then hope for a better hand or whether you wanna go for the win not too fussed about finishing 3rd or 4th

same position as you dont think i would have raised all in as losing to a raggety ace and pp you'll be flipping