You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker Clinic Post of the Week Winner: 21/07/10

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Morning all,

With Tikay finally back on British soil, we've got our collective heads together to pick out our post of the week on the Poker Clinic.

Before I announce the winner (yes, this all sounds very hammy I know), I wanted to say that this week has been a corker. There have been some great posts, with some of the PC's big hitters giving us some pretty solid material. TheDon90 even managed to fill an entire page of the Clinic with hands to discuss, all of which got at least one reply. Loving your work, folks.

Anyway, the winner.

The subject is a fairly simple one, with GaryQQQ asking how to play the small blind early in tournaments, in this case a Bounty Hunter. The thread itself can be found here, but the best post of the week was from JohnConnor, who correctly stressed the importance of tournament format as well as challenging some existing views.

Here's what JohnConnor mentioned:

I don't think it matters too much what you do here, it's not exactly a tournament defining moment. However, I think the following points are relevant here.

First of all, many people will say 7 to 1 is enough to play any two cards and by and large this is correct.

Second, the bounty hunters are notorious for being extremely loose and the general advice is to play the opposite of everyone else, this too is generally sound. How are you going to feel if theh flop comes 5-5-x and someone turns over 10-5 to stack you? (This is the extreme example but there are lots of ways you can get stacked here, 6-7-8 for example). The truth is the only flop you truly feel confident with is 9-9-5 (1000/1+ I believe).

Third, if there is a decent player at the table who also happens to be awake at the time, being seen to fold when getting odds of 7/1 could prove invaluable for you later on when you necessarily loosen up. (Notes like 'tight' are often added on the basis of single actions - something I can't personally prove but feel confident about).

FWIW, for me, points 2 and 3 above outweigh point 1 with this junk so I fold. (I cannot, however, refuse these odds with any semi suited connectors, Ax etc etc).

Some simple points intelligently made. Well done JohnConnor, I'll make sure your entry for Saturday's Open is taken care of.

Do keep the questions coming and give yourselves a collective pat on the back for what I think has been one of the most productive weeks on The Poker Clinic.

Good luck at the tables,
Dave

Comments