You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

a q first hand

justed played a 9k sat first hand i had A Q in small blind blinds 15/30 3000 starting stack first to act raised to 90 so i called the flop came out 7of d K of d and A of s i checked he but 150 in i reraised to 450 he called then turn come it was 3 of s so i put a bet of 600 he called then 10 of c came on river so no flush poss so i go all in he calls and he shows a 10 so out in first hand i think if i would of gone all in after flop he would of still called and the blinds were only 15/30 just like some advice or was there nothing i could do about this any u like about how i played this and what u would of done different

Comments

• edited August 2009
    I THINK YOU BETS BEFORE THE RIVER WERNT BIG ENOUGH IF YOU WANTED TO FOLD HIM OFF. AND THE ALL IN AFTER THE RIVER WAS SUICIDE BASICALY YOU WENT ALL IN ON TOP PAIR SO ALL HE NEEDED WAS ANY 2 PAIR. YOU SHOULD HAVE PUT IN A NON ALL IN BET IF HE GOES OVER THE TOP YOU HAVE STILL GOT 1.5 TO 2 THOUSAND CHIP TO GET BACK IN WITH IF YOU FOLD
  • edited August 2009
    From your raise and bets your opponent knows you have a hand, probably an ace so top pair. So when he goes all in you have to figure him having a hand that is beating top pair, therefore it is a big mistatke to call, particularly when its your tournament life on the line.

Sure he could be bluffing but it is much, much more likely he has you beat, so folding here is the correct play.
  • edited August 2009
    Im confused - the flop was A K 7 10 3. You had AQ and you say he had a ten and he won? How? Do you mean he had pocket tens?

Either way, ideally, you want to reraise preflop and not just call with AQ - I don't mind the check raise but the bet on the turn was too small and then the all in was too much especially considering the stage in the tourney and you only have top pair.
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: a q first hand:
    Im confused - the flop was A K 7 10 3. You had AQ and you say he had a ten and he won? How? Do you mean he had pocket tens? Either way, ideally, you want to reraise preflop and not just call with AQ - I don't mind the check raise but the bet on the turn was too small and then the all in was too much especially considering the stage in the tourney and you only have top pair.
    Posted by dowzer
    I think it means oppenent had ACE 10 which meant they hit 2 pair on river. Hope this helps.

• edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: a q first hand:
    In Response to Re: a q first hand : I think it means oppenent had ACE 10 which meant they hit 2 pair on river. Hope this helps.
    Posted by dunn80
    Ooooohhhhhhhh "a 10" is Ace 10, not showed one ten - doh!!!!
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to a q first hand:
    justed played a 9k sat first hand i had A Q in small blind blinds 15/30 3000 starting stack first to act raised to 90 so i called the flop came out 7of d K of d and A of s i checked he but 150 in i reraised to 450 he called then turn come it was 3 of s so i put a bet of 600 he called then 10 of c came on river so no flush poss so i go all in he calls and he shows a 10 so out in first hand i think if i would of gone all in after flop he would of still called and the blinds were only 15/30 just like some advice or was there nothing i could do about this any u like about how i played this and what u would of done different
    Posted by foxylady19
    Hi Foxy,

There is a thing called pot management, which means keep the pot small especially early on in tournament unless you have complete nuts. So you could have check called till river and you would be calling smaller bets therefore you would still be in tourney. If you play it your way which is not bad you should of bet bigger on turn like other people have said. A pot bet of about a 1000 or so would have been better and made it more expensive for your opponent to draw. Also rather than pushing river you could have checked called river which may have saved you some chips. But at the end of the day you have been very unlucky and if the guy wants to keep calling with ace 10 on that flop arfter being raised more often than not you are going to take alot of chips of these players. So keep your head up as this was unlucky.