You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Could i have got more value here? also how would you play this

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Right played a quick game on my lunch as i do only about 10 minutes, was getting some good cards so appeared aggressive but aimed to be tight. this come up one of last hands. i personally think i have played it ok no reads apart from quite a passive table as i kept raising and everyone folding

Let me know how you would have played it all the way through? if i could have got more on the river or by raising another spot here

Biffder Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £5.09
YOUNG_GUN Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £8.70
  Your hole cards
  • A

bCall  £0.08 £0.20 £7.64
cRaise  £0.16 £0.36 £5.88
BananaDog Fold     
blondynka7 Fold     
Biffder Fold     
YOUNG_GUN Call  £0.08 £0.44 £8.62
bCall  £0.08 £0.52 £7.56
Flop

• Q
  • A

YOUNG_GUN Check     
Check     
Check     
Turn

• A

YOUNG_GUN Check     
bCheck     
Bet  £0.08 £0.60 £5.80
YOUNG_GUN Call  £0.08 £0.68 £8.54
Call  £0.08 £0.76 £7.48
River

• A

YOUNG_GUN Bet  £0.48 £1.24 £8.06
bCall  £0.48 £1.72 £7.00
Call  £0.48 £2.20 £5.32
YOUNG_GUN Show
  • A

bMuck
  • Q

cMuck

YOUNG_GUN Win Four Aces £2.04  £10.10

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Defo bet the flop, say about 35p. Mainly because most players at this level are very passive and you want them to pay for draws if they have them. Then turn even though you house up still bet again but enough so they can call to hit some draw that's already dead. River bet as much as you think will be paid.
  • edited July 2010
    Thanks dudeskin i do think i should have played this alot more aggressive, just as the table seem'd very passive was scared of betting them of and was trying to disguise the hand. I thin your right at this level if i had bet 36 on the flop probably would have been called especially as i was seemed to be playing alot of hands or do you think they dont take that into account at these levels?
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Could i have got more value here? also how would you play this:
    Thanks dudeskin i do think i should have played this alot more aggressive, just as the table seem'd very passive was scared of betting them of and was trying to disguise the hand. I thin your right at this level if i had bet 36 on the flop probably would have been called especially as i was seemed to be playing alot of hands or do you think they dont take that into account at these levels?
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Tbh at this level many players cannot bare to fold a pair, and in this situation the one with Q10 had 2nd pair so probably thought he/she had the nuts. When you bet yes they can all fold and you feel stupid but you'll feel more stupid if they check and catch up on turn without being charged for it. ;)

The idea of check-raisng was surely your plan but it really is just best to BET ,BET, BET as most passive stations don't understand what betting/rasing actually means, even with the nuts they'll just call off and NEVER raise so you have to do it for them.
  • edited July 2010
    fold pre

other than that, guess u can check flop oop and c/r, def at least bet out turn and river tho
  • ybyb
    edited July 2010
    Don't c/c turn especially not to a min bet, you need to get some money in to build the pot. Also bet more on the river because they aren't folding a Q.
  • edited July 2010
    do some betting
  • edited July 2010
    Fold pre.
    As you have played I think I donk bet flop and bet turn and river strong. I do this if I think the original raiser is unlikely to c bet if missed (i.e multiway pot). If he has hit he can either raise or call.
    As you have played after flop I bet turn and river strong.

In order to maximise value from your strong hands like this you need to bet. You can't expect people to bet for you because they might not do this so you lose 1 or more streets of value which is bad. Don't be afraid to scare players off by betting, because if they don't have anything to call you with then you just aint getting paid. Instead bet in case they have some sort of hand to pay you off.
  • edited July 2010
    why would you fold pre to a min raise?? just asking really i know a9 isnt a great hand but with the flush also its a playable hand for 1 big blind, if i didn't hit big could also get away from it most the time.

Thanks blackfish, yeah i was expecting people to bet on both the flop and turn but they didn't :o(
    usually i would play this hand betting it 3/4 pot the whole way through but i changed my approach as my hand was very strong and the table had been passive so didn't want to not get paid at all

Played backwards i can see i should be raising the flop & turn to get building then could even shove river to get the full value of this, just trying to be too cute here and on the river was still hoping someone with a queen would re-raise me but more out of hope :P
  • edited July 2010
    do the opposite on every street and it's wp
  • edited July 2010
    bet flop raise turn all in river
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Could i have got more value here? also how would you play this:
    do the opposite on every street and it's wp
    Posted by zing
    lol so well played in a backwards world :o)
  • edited July 2010

id c/r flop as standard without reads, lead turn when its checked through, overbet shove river

• edited July 2010
    Do most people honestly fold this in the BB to a minraise?

You have to lead out flop though and hope someone with AJ or AK, AT might put in a raise and you can get the money in.
  • edited July 2010
    Do most people honestly fold this in the BB to a minraise? You have to lead out flop though and hope someone with AJ or AK, AT might put in a raise and you can get the money in.
    Posted by CLIOKID
    No, I raise to find out where I am, then fold pre if get reistance 
  • edited July 2010
    i hope that was a joke cookie?
  • edited July 2010
    I fold to the min raise because it's a difficult hand to play out of position. Unless you are super strict with yourself and check fold unless you hit 2 pair+ but then I doubt it's profitable to call because you wont hit enough/get paid off enough to make it profitable.

Lol_raise why do you prefer the check raise to the donk bet? Im just thinking unless the PRF has hit he will just check it down. Thoughts?
  • edited July 2010
    you lose a ton of value not putting any money in the pot untill the river, i would be 100% sticking the lot in on the river and be expecting a call from at least 1 other player
  • edited July 2010
    I fold to the min raise because it's a difficult hand to play out of position. Unless you are super strict with yourself and check fold unless you hit 2 pair+ but then I doubt it's profitable to call because you wont hit enough/get paid off enough to make it profitable. Lol_raise why do you prefer the check raise to the donk bet? Im just thinking unless the PRF has hit he will just check it down. Thoughts?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    i dont mind calling a min raise here, obviously it would be better with bw or wheel ace , your only really going to get excited with  a 2 pair and fd hand so it shouldnt get to spewy, but its not bad to fold
  • edited July 2010
    Do most people honestly fold this in the BB to a minraise? You have to lead out flop though and hope someone with AJ or AK, AT might put in a raise and you can get the money in.
    Posted by CLIOKID
    if it were 4 way and the initial guy into the pot had been the min raiser then i call but as its just been limp, raise you can easily be dominated by the raiser and u dont know what the limpers doing, he most likely calls after u do but if he folds ur then HU oop with a mediocre hand praying for a miracle flop
  • edited July 2010
    I've taken alot of advice from this hand and its helped alot in my recent form in cash thanks everyone!

that said i still dont agree with fold pre to min-raise in this spot ever! bunch of nits lol
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Could i have got more value here? also how would you play this : if it were 4 way and the initial guy into the pot had been the min raiser then i call but as its just been limp, raise you can easily be dominated by the raiser and u dont know what the limpers doing, he most likely calls after u do but if he folds ur then HU oop with a mediocre hand praying for a miracle flop
    Posted by lynx3ffect
    if you dont hit the miracle flop you can check fold, but if someone makes the mistake of minraising preflop and it costs 1 BB to get the chance to punish this mistake then im taking it