You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

WWYD

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
im 1.2 omaha i have 500 stack.. then this hand happens.   i have AcKcKdQd... under the gun makes it 7, 2 people flat, i make it 30. and get 3 callers on  flop of  2h8c7c... under the gun pots it for 120 and next player then shoves for 425.... other player folds... now up to me..... i have overpair which is no good but i have the killer nut flush club draw but surely im behind to a set..... its 420 t0 call and i win a 1200 pot if i bink the club... would it be gambling to make the call here... what are the odds of me winning if someone has set and someone else has a wrap draw...

whats the correct play and your reasoning for the decision??

Comments

• edited July 2010
    HandEquityWinsTiesAc Kc Kd Qd26.70%160,220488**,77**, 22**40.01%237,5844,902569T33.29%197,2944,898
  • edited July 2010
      This is a very difficult question to answer because of the lack of information given on our opponents in this hand and their knowledge and experience of playing omaha. Without out this it is hard to evaluate potential holdings and our position in the hand.

As to the action on that board with the varying inabilities that i have seen on the tables shoving ranges include 9T, 6c2c , overpair and even top pair top kicker. So because of this you really could be up against anything if they are inexperienced players with a NLHE mentality.

The difficult decision you are facing is totally self induced by your preflop action.As soon as there was a raise and 2 callers then there is no way anyone was folding to your 3-bet because it was to weak to make anyone fold.(pot standing at 54 with 23 to call).Even the best possible holding is not much better than 65% favourite against any 1 player and you gave the odds to call preflop to all players with chips invested in the pot.This means that the pot was out of control before the flop had come down and there was a high likelyhood of being asked for your entire stack no matter what the flop came down. The main purposes of preflop action is to build up the pot and remove weaker holdings and your bet only did 1 of the 2.The simple fact is if you can not get people to fold with preflop aggression then there is no point in doing so. Multiway pots can get out of control very quickly from the flop without the added impetus of preflop aggro .

So my advice to you would be in future if you can not make the oppponents fold then take the cheap flop and play the hand from where you know where you stand. In this hand you could have chased your nut flush draw for a much smaller percentage of your stack or even had the stack available to reraise with your big draw. This way you are the one asking the questions and not having to answer them for your stack.
  • edited July 2010
    you say i only raised it to 30, i could of done much more really because making a pot bet pre would of only made the bet 35, so they still wouldnt be folding there hands.... as you say about the opponents im against.. lets just say they have the top of there range in this spot and actually have set and wrap draw... in plo we play to get in big pots with the swings of plo are huge and its more of a gambling game in comparision to NL where your range is much smaller...

as cow said im 26% to win the hand.... if i shove the lot in, would the play be bad? with the amount already in the pot or is waiting for a better stop the option...,,   if this was a tournament would this be played any diffferent?

really in comparision its like me calling a raise and a shove on that flop in NL with AK with 4 flush for 500 because the only way im going to win is by hitting the flush as im obviously behind on that board

just a situation that comes up everytime.....

if this hand came up again.... would you call a shove if there was only 1 player in the pot??? if hes got top set for instance...

does it change this situation so much so 1 over pair and nut draw???
     thanks
  • edited July 2010
    not sure on what software it looks like cow used, but form the hands it says that is when the sets have no flush redraws for blockers so best case scenario
  • edited July 2010
      My point about your 3-bet  was not to do with the size of it but the very existence of it. 3-betting is not agreat move preflop in omaha as the pots will build up quickly enough without being forced and we can make better decisions on the flop than we can pre.

Your point about the comparison to calling a raise and shove in nlhe is flawed due to the fact that you are calling with 1 2-card hand , in nlhe this will be against either a draw or a made hand, whereas in omaha you could be up against a draw and a made hand by each player which gives you much less pot equity.

As to the hand itself. I dont mind making the call but knowing it would just be gambling. Against 1 player and not multiple it would be an easier call to make but still knowing you are behind and drawing.

The point about variance being higher in PLO. This is on the whole true but it is made so much more so by people approaching the hands in the same way as they do NLHE. The variance becomes massive when you see people 3 and 4-betting preflop just because they have a big pocket pair, and also putting in big preflop raises and c-betting. These things make the variance a lot higher than it should be. Good solid play will reduce the variance but it will always be higher than NLHE.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: WWYD:
    you say i only raised it to 30, i could of done much more really because making a pot bet pre would of only made the bet 35, so they still wouldnt be folding there hands.... as you say about the opponents im against.. lets just say they have the top of there range in this spot and actually have set and wrap draw... in plo we play to get in big pots with the swings of plo are huge and its more of a gambling game in comparision to NL where your range is much smaller... as cow said im 26% to win the hand.... if i shove the lot in, would the play be bad? with the amount already in the pot or is waiting for a better stop the option...,,   if this was a tournament would this be played any diffferent? really in comparision its like me calling a raise and a shove on that flop in NL with AK with 4 flush for 500 because the only way im going to win is by hitting the flush as im obviously behind on that board just a situation that comes up everytime..... if this hand came up again.... would you call a shove if there was only 1 player in the pot??? if hes got top set for instance... does it change this situation so much so 1 over pair and nut draw???  thanks
    Posted by IMAROCK
    That was his point, if they are not going to fold any of their hands preflop to a raise, then you may aswell flat call and not have to play a $1200 pot with a flush draw.

Edit - Talon beat me to it :(
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: WWYD:
    not sure on what software it looks like cow used, but form the hands it says that is when the sets have no flush redraws for blockers so best case scenario
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Yeh, its the best one I could find, pokerstove don't do omaha do they?
  • edited July 2010
    so basically i should of flat called the 7 to control the size of the pot and then i can call for maybe 70 on the flop without having to put my whole stack in to hit the draw... makes huge sense... obviously i overplayed my hand now... 

so easy to think youve made the right play when i havent....
  • edited July 2010
      The main point in the pot control aspect is what the turn card would bring. In this situation you were left with the option of winning a big pot or losing a big pot. By exercising pot control preflop and seeing a cheap turn card you could make a better decision at that point. If you hit your flush then you are going all the way with it but if the board pairs you can run away. This means you can win a big or medium pot or lose a small one.

Pot control early on in the streets is the key to controlling variance.There was nothing fundamentally wrong with how you played the hand but you turned it into high risk and high reward play. The option i am talking about reduces the risk and also reduces the rewards but will be safer and more profitable in the long run.
  • edited July 2010
    i fully agree.... the way i have played omaha in the best is suicidal in the long run can run like god and never miss for a few days but then i start losing massive pots and need to control the way the hand develops instead of trying to get it all in on the flop...  with 20 outs...... 

its like if i know someone is 3 betting AAxx, in the past i would 4 bet pots with an 4 low cards...... say 10756 because i know he has bare aces and if the flop is right i will bust him because people always play AAXX in omaha like its Nl