You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this too tight?

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
oneLUCKY_1 Small blind  100.00 100.00 9587.50
XBig blind  200.00 300.00 5875.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

Dudeskin8 Raise  600.00 900.00 18460.00
TANGERI137 Fold     
lozgo Fold     
oneLUCKY_1 Fold     
XAll-in  5875.00 6775.00 0.00
The villain has only just arrived so no reads yet. I make it standard 600 gets folded round then suddenly he shoves, I'm putting him on a big pair JJ mainly maybe QQ, doubt he would do this with KK/AA. I was very close to calling but didn't want to call off a 3rd of my stack on at best a race as I was currently 3rd in the torny, is this the wrong play and is it just a snap call ?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    lol thats a sick shove with 30 BBs, you dont have to get involved in this so folding is ok and having a gamble is fun too, id call for the crack

its 50/50 against a range of any pair 22-AA, AK AQ
  • edited July 2010
    find a better spot.
  • edited July 2010
    I struggle to fold this
  • edited July 2010
    No i know im a donk but hey i make the call
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this too tight?:
    I struggle to fold this
    Posted by beaneh
    I did too but couldn't see the point gambling when i'm sitting comfortable at the top, maybe I can afford it but I'd rather keep my chip advantage.
  • edited July 2010
    I call and he will show me KJ and I take his chipz :)
  • edited July 2010
    I'm never folding here ever.
  • edited July 2010
    He who run's away lives to fight another day ..... he who call's will surely fall. AK is now 72 off ?
    Posted by logdon
    IF he does lose he still has around 50bb's to "fight another day" plus 7 2  vs QQ has 11.6% equity whereas AK suited has 46%, so no, not quite the same. Plus we can not at all be certain that he has a pair.
  • edited July 2010
    Imguessing this is a tournament Dudeskin? May i ask is it speed, re-buy, BH or just standard Freezeout?

Now im going to answer in try as general as possible for my own personal opinion many may disagree.

Now ive never folded AK pre flop, ever. Yes ive won sometime lost others. Say the opponent has 22-QQ we're still 44% with them being suited it moves us to 45%.

If they have KK we're 33% and ok we're crushed to Aces at 13% but miricles do happen. I was once told many a time actually to win a tournament you have to win a few races. So you risk a 3rd of your stack here, to win a third. So if yopu win you move closer to that chip leader and take another one out.

This is one of the fundamentals ive always taken in any type of tournament, as long as i think im 50% ill likley take a gamle, AK suited fits close enough to that for me to be willing to.

Ive always seen poker as a game of risks, and this is a risk worth taking. Just my two pence.
  • edited July 2010
    Eh, I can't argue with the fold. Tournaments are about survival, and you have such a strong stack you don't need to be getting involved in races, IMO. Sure, you *could* be up against KQ/KJ/AQ/AJ... but more likely (to me) is a fairly strong pp like 10's, J's or Q's, in which case you are racing. One of the things I like most about having a big stack early on is you can avoid as many races as possible, and pick your spots more carefully. Depends how confident you are with your game, I think.
  • edited July 2010
    Eh, I can't argue with the fold. Tournaments are about survival, and you have such a strong stack you don't need to be getting involved in races, IMO. Sure, you *could* be up against KQ/KJ/AQ/AJ... but more likely (to me) is a fairly strong pp like 10's, J's or Q's, in which case you are racing. One of the things I like most about having a big stack early on is you can avoid as many races as possible, and pick your spots more carefully. Depends how confident you are with your game, I think.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    Well tbh I'd say i'm fairly confident, and most the time I like to raise it up then take it down on the flop etc. Ofcourse I know if I call it's most likely a race but I beleive I'm a better player than that and don't have to just gamble for a 3rd of my stack especially when i'm currently in such a controlling position. If it was QQ+ I snap but for me the one thing I hate doing in tornies is calling off portions of my stack, I much prefer pushing with hands like this when I'm a lot shorter. When I'm deep raise it standard then play it IP where I can see what the caller does then react accordingly, hopefully using some skill lol.
  • edited July 2010

In Response to Re: Is this too tight? : Well tbh I'd say i'm fairly confident, and most the time I like to raise it up then take it down on the flop etc. Ofcourse I know if I call it's most likely a race but I beleive I'm a better player than that and don't have to just gamble for a 3rd of my stack especially when i'm currently in such a controlling position. If it was QQ+ I snap but for me the one thing I hate doing in tornies is calling off portions of my stack, I much prefer pushing with hands like this when I'm a lot shorter. When I'm deep raise it standard then play it IP where I can see what the caller does then react accordingly, hopefully using some skill lol.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    If you're confident with your game, I think the fold is better. Can't remember who said it, might have been Helmuth, but I totally agree- if you feel you have the game to outplay someone down the streets, and especially if you have a stack that means you're in no danger of needing to shove, then there's no need to race. Unless you're sat facing a large allin with KK/AA, maybe QQ, there's no need to call. On the other hand, if you don't feel you're playing great, taking the risk and gambling may be the better idea, since you're that much more dominant if it comes off.

I feel the same as you, when I've amassed that much of a lead early on, last thing I want to do is call a huge portion of it off on a race. If you win, you're not exactly in that much of a better spot, but if you lose- you're right back down in the pack. In a BH tourn, I snap call- in any other tourn, I fold if I'm confident, call if I'm not.
  • edited July 2010
    pretty sure hes jamming with hands that u have crushed also.

tournaments are about winning, not min cashing cawl and run good
  • edited July 2010
    This is a call in an mtt, totally agree with cowgomoo and lolraise on this one, got to go FTW!

• edited July 2010
    Well it is all about opinion this is what makes poker such a great game.My own thoughts on this hand Dudeskin is that it is a good fold,i would rather shove with AK than call but hey that is just my way of doing it.
  • edited July 2010
    I totally agree about going for the win, and I am one who will shove with liturally any 2 cards once I drop below 10 bb's as I realise just limping into the money is stupid but personally as I'm not in danger I'd rather keep my advantage.

Also on the hand I waited ages before folding, and because of this the villain decided to show and it was JJ. Yes I would have been racing but I was still happy with the decision as I don't like gambling unless when I need to.