You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

eugh!

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Hate the flop as it's so easy to get attatched to, yet im so likely to be behind.....

What do u do firstly on the flop?

- then the turn?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
gangstar19 Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £7.65
Triumph62 Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £30.96
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

DOHHHHHHH Raise  £1.20 £1.65 £74.07
shez786 Call  £1.20 £2.85 £20.50
lynx3ffect Fold     
Imatiger Call  £1.20 £4.05 £43.39
gangstar19 Fold     
Triumph62 Call  £0.90 £4.95 £30.06
Flop

• K
  • J

Triumph62 Bet  £1.80 £6.75 £28.26
DOHHHHHHH Call  £1.80 £8.55 £72.27
shez786 Fold     
Imatiger Call  £1.80 £10.35 £41.59
Turn

Triumph62 Check     
DOHHHHHHH Check     
Imatiger Bet  £10.35 £20.70 £31.24

Comments

• edited July 2010

I mised off the bit where triumph folded...
  • edited July 2010
    This looks tricky, i would call the flop then bet the turn 6/7 fold to a raise, its a thin value on the turn but im trying to get to showdown cheaply if that makes sence, if he flats the turn then bet fold the river if it bricks, how spewy is that?
  • edited July 2010
    i think its a check fold on the turn tho
  • edited July 2010
    I'd quite often raise flop. fold ze turn instantly after triumph folds as is.
  • edited July 2010
    on flops like this, if i know villian will stack off with TP or TP+ draw, I like to go for a c-raise line so we can get stacks in by the turn, because your not gonna like many turn cards apart from a K/Q
  • edited July 2010
    DoHHHH, im probably not qualified to comment on your play, however im going to have a risky stab at getting a lecture from you of practicing what i say.

Pre flop im probably more likley to go for a £1.40-£1.60 raise. I imagine this may not make much differance to the hand but might force it to HU rather than 4 way,

My flop raise would probably be a little more. I remember a line you gave me in a video you sent, C/bet maybe a little small it got me a result, but here it stayed 3 handed.

Say the turn you probably hate more than the flop, a Q or K is possibly still good for you on the river but thats not alot of outs, however as played i probably end up folding, although we all know i am probably the worst for getting over attached to Tp+Tk. However i think this is just a danger board, its so easy for A10 or AQ to be in pre flop both have you crushed.

Best of luck mate.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: eugh!:
    I'd quite often raise flop. fold ze turn instantly after triumph folds as is.
    Posted by beaneh
    what are your reasons for raising the flop here? and how are you proceding if it goes call fold or call call?
  • edited July 2010

I would usually raise the flop up to about £6/7, because a flat call gives me no information about how strong the other two players are on this flop and as we had the pre-flop betting lead it shows that we are not scared of this flop. We do have a strong hand, and we do not have to be behind here!

If we get action it really depends on our read of the other players about how we proceed.

If you flat call the flop, as you have done, i don't understand why you don't bet out on the turn card. by checking you have given initiative to the button and he probably takes this pot down now,(possibly with KQ) i guess you fold??

• edited July 2010
    I would usually raise the flop up to about £6/7, because a flat call gives me no information about how strong the other two players are on this flop and as we had the pre-flop betting lead it shows that we are not scared of this flop. We do have a strong hand, and we do not have to be behind here! If we get action it really depends on our read of the other players about how we proceed. If you flat call the flop, as you have done, i don't understand why you don't bet out on the turn card. by checking you have given initiative to the button and he probably takes this pot down now,(possibly with KQ) i guess you fold??
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Hey Greg - Nice to see u in this bit of the forum!!

About a month ago, I would always be raising this flop. But recently Im trying to re-build my game and the fundementals/logic behind it - using the advice I get here.

Apparently the term "asking a question" is frowned upon, I think you are supposed to get the answer to the question by playing down the streets, not 100% sure, about it yet, maybe I will be when everything starts to fit into place.

"Asking the question" definitielty seems the easier way to go about it IMO - but is it the most profitable long term?

The turn card was just the killer card for me, and I went straight into check fold mode against these villians, anything I beat on the flop when there was a bet in front of me, and a call behind, I pretty much lose to now -  Im cluthching at straws if Im trying to put him on a hand I beat, and no doubt if he's bluffing, or betting for value, i'll be facing another bet on the river - and there are definitely "better spots"/easier ways to take money from this table.

(staking off with 1 pair facing a river shove into a £6 pot, ordering a kebab, and falling asleep on the sofa surrounded by beer cans aint the way btw)

Question - I hear the better players here in the clinic say they would Bet-Fold in alot of scenarios...

Isn't this just "asking a question"- Worded differently?

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: eugh! : Hey Greg - Nice to see u in this bit of the forum!! About a month ago, I would always be raising this flop. But recently Im trying to re-build my game and the fundementals/logic behind it - using the advice I get here. Apparently the term "asking a question" is frowned upon, I think you are supposed to get the answer to the question by playing down the streets, not 100% sure, about it yet, maybe I will be when everything starts to fit into place. "Asking the question" definitielty seems the easier way to go about it IMO - but is it the most profitable long term? The turn card was just the killer card for me, and I went straight into check fold mode against these villians, anything I beat on the flop when there was a bet in front of me, and a call behind, I pretty much lose to now -  Im cluthching at straws if Im trying to put him on a hand I beat, and no doubt if he's bluffing, or betting for value, i'll be facing another bet on the river - and there are definitely "better spots"/easier ways to take money from this table. (staking off with 1 pair facing a river shove into a £6 pot, ordering a kebab, and falling asleep on the sofa surrounded by beer cans aint the way btw) Question - I hear the better players here in the clinic say they would Bet-Fold in alot of scenarios... Isn't this just " asking a question "- Worded differently?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

no because we bet for value

• edited July 2010

So if you're betting for value, then fold....havent u turned ur hand into a bluff??

When you bet-fold - does that mean its a mis read?

If your betting for value, surely you should be snap calling/shoving over a raise - not folding!?

And when you bet fold, you have done so because you learnt some information you didn't have prior to making the bet in the first place - therefore, although you didn't "ask a question as such" - You definitely got an answer !! (the information that made you fold to the raise) - Otherwise, why bet in the first place?

Im beginning to think its a load of nonsense and losing faith!!! HELP!

If anyone knows what Im trying to get at here, can you just give me an over-view of what I actually mean? Im struggling to word it coz I don't really understand it.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: eugh! : Hey Greg - Nice to see u in this bit of the forum!! About a month ago, I would always be raising this flop. But recently Im trying to re-build my game and the fundementals/logic behind it - using the advice I get here. Apparently the term "asking a question" is frowned upon, I think you are supposed to get the answer to the question by playing down the streets, not 100% sure, about it yet, maybe I will be when everything starts to fit into place. "Asking the question" definitielty seems the easier way to go about it IMO - but is it the most profitable long term? The turn card was just the killer card for me, and I went straight into check fold mode against these villians, anything I beat on the flop when there was a bet in front of me, and a call behind, I pretty much lose to now -  Im cluthching at straws if Im trying to put him on a hand I beat, and no doubt if he's bluffing, or betting for value, i'll be facing another bet on the river - and there are definitely "better spots"/easier ways to take money from this table. (staking off with 1 pair facing a river shove into a £6 pot, ordering a kebab, and falling asleep on the sofa surrounded by beer cans aint the way btw) Question - I hear the better players here in the clinic say they would Bet-Fold in alot of scenarios... Isn't this just " asking a question "- Worded differently?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Hi JJ,

I am still a little worried about posting in the clinic on cash hands as i am not really qualified to do so... So i am only expressing my opinion from my limited experience. Where is the dym clinic, or the take on tikay mtt clinic, i would feel more comfortable there?!:)

When i play cash, I just play the way that i am comfortable with and am used to, and i have no issues in "asking the question" in a standard ABC way.  I have no idea whether this is more profitable long term or not, but i guess is isn't because i too cannot ignore the cash experts if i too want to improve my cash game. So i would be interested to keep reading and learning from beaneh and co. I hate the thought of bet folding, and check calling 24/7, but if that's the way to make proper consistent money at cash maybe i should start to listen...

The blatantly obvious part of the hand you have posted, is that you are out of position, and this is the key here imo. But does that HAVE to mean that we play it passively? hmmm
  • edited July 2010
    So if you're betting for value, then fold....havent u turned ur hand into a bluff?? When you bet-fold - does that mean its a mis read? If your betting for value, surely you should be snap calling/shoving over a raise - not folding!? And when you bet fold, you have done so because you learnt some information you didn't have prior to making the bet in the first place - therefore, although you didn't "ask a question as such" - You definitely got an answer !! (the information that made you fold to the raise) - Otherwise, why bet in the first place? Im beginning to think its a load of nonsense and losing faith!!! HELP! If anyone knows what Im trying to get at here, can you just give me an over-view of what I actually mean? Im struggling to word it coz I don't really understand it.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    We play against a range of hands our opponent might have. If that range contains a lot of hands worse than ours that will call a bet then we'd be losing value by not betting. His range still has to contain some hands which are better than ours though so when we get raised we can narrow his range down to those hands or bluffs most of the time. We then make a decision on  how much you think hes bluffing in this spot andfold if you think hes not bluffing often. Were not asking a question becuase weve already made our assumptions when we bet. Once we get raised then we re-assess.

There are certain spots where you could say you were "asking a question" but the reason the phrase is frowned upon is that it shows a lack of understanding. If youre asking a question then youre asking yourself the wrong questions. It shows a weak thought process.  It also leads to bad play because you can start to turn made hands into bluffs or induce bluffs because youre opponent can see what youre doing and will react accordingly.

Not sure if that makes sense, very tired.

• edited July 2010

We play against a range of hands our opponent might have. If that range contains a lot of hands worse than ours that will call a bet then we'd be losing value by not betting.

So if I could put 10 hands in his range for example. and 7 beat me, 3 don't should I still be betting?

How about if I can beat 2and 8 beat me? Is it better to be pro active when most of the hands in his range will beat me, and save money (a bet). - Here the 2 occasions I am ahead, I will get paid, but the other 8 I will spend money by betting and realising I must be behind....

I guess Im asking what %age of my opponents percieved range should I be able to beat, to justify betting for value?
  • edited July 2010
    in order to value bet profitably you need >50% equity against his calling range.

say on a K2256 (no flushes) board villains calling & raising range is exactly A2,55,KQ,KJ,KT and we hold AK

there are 6 combos of A2 (3aces x 2deuces) and there are 3 combos of 55 (5c is on board so 5d5h 5d5s 5s5h)

there are 8 combos each of KQ, KJ & KT  ( 2 remaining K x 4(Q,J,T)   so we lose to 9 combos but beat 24 combos.

as equity on river is 100% or 0% our equity vs that whole range is 24/(24+9)*100 ~72% so we make lots of monies by betting despite losing when villain raises when he has A2/55.
    done this in my head over lunch so some of the math  might be slightly wrong
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: eugh! : what are your reasons for raising the flop here? and how are you proceding if it goes call fold or call call?
    Posted by N1CK

Have pair, worse hands can call, people like calling. Raise.

hmm two calls, bet and fold to a raise :-)

• edited July 2010
     Response to Re: eugh!:
    So if you're betting for value, then fold....havent u turned ur hand into a bluff?? When you bet-fold - does that mean its a mis read? If your betting for value, surely you should be snap calling/shoving over a raise - not folding!? And when you bet fold, you have done so because you learnt some information you didn't have prior to making the bet in the first place - therefore, although you didn't "ask a question as such" - You definitely got an answer !! (the information that made you fold to the raise) - Otherwise, why bet in the first place? Im beginning to think its a load of nonsense and losing faith!!! HELP! If anyone knows what Im trying to get at here, can you just give me an over-view of what I actually mean? Im struggling to word it coz I don't really understand it.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    to bet this flop for value, it would be a very thin value bet your looking for a worse hand to call like   q10, kq, jq you really want the guy behind you to fold and get it heads up with the guy in front, if you get any action then you can reaccess, its called a thin value bet but it does ask a question but people who have had the dont bet for info drummed into them on 2+2 wont admit it, but all in all 95% of the time you only should be betting to get value, induce or bluff.
    so what im trying to say is when you value bet thin its likey that you will be behind and you should find this out by the response but your betting solely for value and you get the info for free, have i ballsed this up? lol
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: eugh! : We play against a range of hands our opponent might have. If that range contains a lot of hands worse than ours that will call a bet then we'd be losing value by not betting. His range still has to contain some hands which are better than ours though so when we get raised we can narrow his range down to those hands or bluffs most of the time. We then make a decision on  how much you think hes bluffing in this spot andfold if you think hes not bluffing often. Were not asking a question becuase weve already made our assumptions when we bet. Once we get raised then we re-assess. There are certain spots where you could say you were "asking a question" but the reason the phrase is frowned upon is that it shows a lack of understanding. If youre asking a question then youre asking yourself the wrong questions. It shows a weak thought process.  It also leads to bad play because you can start to turn made hands into bluffs or induce bluffs because youre opponent can see what youre doing and will react accordingly. Not sure if that makes sense, very tired.
    Posted by offshoot

yeah what this idjut said :p