You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

WHAT DO YOU DO NEXT?

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic

OK ure opinions please.Deepstack tourney 70 runners,down to last 12.I have 20k or so blinds are 600/1200 averyone folds to me.Im in cut off with A Q off and raise to 2400,button folds,sb calls and bb calls.FLOP comes A Q 5 rainbow.SB bets 5k what should i do with 17k left? Just want your moves and be gentle with me when i give you the outcome ;o)

Comments

• edited July 2010
    call

call/raise any flop/turn
  • edited July 2010
    is it AQ5 rainbow? how big is SB stack.

id most likely flat to keep his  bluffs weaker Ax hands in, and shove to his turn bet.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: WHAT DO YOU DO NEXT?:
    is it AQ5 rainbow? how big is SB stack. id most likely flat to keep his  bluffs weaker Ax hands in, and shove to his turn bet.
    Posted by harvey23
    Yes mate rainbow and sb has like 50k or so ish
  • edited July 2010
    is it AQ5 rainbow? how big is SB stack. id most likely flat to keep his  bluffs weaker Ax hands in, and shove to his turn bet.
    Posted by harvey23
    I like your opinions mate ive said that before.What hand would YOU put him on? 
  • edited July 2010

As it's rainbow think I flat, if you shove think he's only calling you with a better hand (set of 5's)

He probably does not have a big ace as he would have re-popped pre, so think he lays down to a shove.

By flatting you give him a chance to have a go on the turn, assuming he has a smaller A you don't have to
    worry about him pairing his kicker unless he has AK, but if he had that he would have surley re-shoved pre
  • edited July 2010
    As it's rainbow think I flat, if you shove think he's only calling you with a better hand (set of 5's) He probably does not have a big ace as he would have re-popped pre, so think he lays down to a shove. By flatting you give him a chance to have a go on the turn, assuming he has a smaller A you don't have to worry about him pairing his kicker unless he has AK, but if he had that he would have surley re-shoved pre
    Posted by cookie83
    Really like your read on this but then ure a HARLOW lad as well ;o)
  • edited July 2010
    im hoping ax, but 55 is also in his range...
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: WHAT DO YOU DO NEXT? : Really like your read on this but then ure a HARLOW lad as well ;o)
    Posted by dav1964
    Exactly mate :-) We are well known for our excellent minds and obviosuly our good looks too lol
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: WHAT DO YOU DO NEXT? : Exactly mate :-) We are well known for our excellent minds and obviosuly our good looks too lol
    Posted by cookie83
    Well i aint EVER gonna argue with that now am i ? lol gl mate
  • edited July 2010
    im hoping ax, but 55 is also in his range...
    Posted by rats107
    Ty rats m8 but the question is WHAT would your next move be ?
  • edited July 2010

I would have gone all in , but as you know Dav thats a mistake i often make

He has 9, 10 of same suit

8 and J come on turn and river

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: WHAT DO YOU DO NEXT? : I like your opinions mate ive said that before.What hand would YOU put him on? 
    Posted by dav1964
    random Qx type hands, mabye a gutter like J10/K10. I just dont like a flop shove because it gives them a chance to fold that out, i would just flat the flop, and then shove any turn.

• edited July 2010
    I would have gone all in , but as you know Dav thats a mistake i often make He has 9, 10 offsuit 8 and J come on turn and river
    Posted by vaigret
    Hi m8 and yes its prob my downfall as well on occasions lol.Seriously though there was no flukey runner runner involved
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: WHAT DO YOU DO NEXT? : random Qx type hands, mabye a gutter like J10/K10. I just dont like a flop shove because it gives them a chance to fold that out, i would just flat the flop, and then shove any turn.
    Posted by harvey23
    Yes that type of hand was EXACTLY what i had him on.THAT is the reason why i did re-pop him to all-in as you wouldnt believe the amount of times ive given em a card by flattin and they have hit there miracle.

Only problem for me was they called my all-in and showed 5 5 lol

Still no matter what came on the turn i think i was always gonna get stacked.

Oh well THATS POKER
  • edited July 2010
    dont you just get the lot in on the flop? isnt it just a cooler if he has a set?
  • edited July 2010
    dont you just get the lot in on the flop? isnt it just a cooler if he has a set?
    Posted by N1CK
    you can just shove the flop, but your most likely only going to get called by the top of his range, the board is quite dry and we have a very strong hand, so by just flatting one street we give them a chance to bluff the turn with hands like J10 KQ K10 or think they are valubetting worse Ax hands.

if the flop was more coordanited like AQK or AQ5 mono/2tone a shove may be better, but by flatting we keep a wider part of villians range in the hand.
  • edited July 2010
    is there not an argument that after u flat the 5k u now put in nearly half ur stack so alarm bells go off in villains head as u wont be folding any turn whereas shoving flop he could put u on a wider range?

to an extent i think flatting pretty much says i have an A or Q and its pretty good whereas shoving, villain cud put u on the draw or if he has a weak A he might put u on a Q as he might think like everyone says u wudnt shove a good A here?

im prob makin it too complicated :-/
  • edited July 2010
    i would of shoved i dont want him hitting cheap straight etc......

if he had a set well thats just unlucky imo

as tikay says get your chips in then theres no more tricky decisions to make.

• edited July 2010
    i would of shoved i dont want him hitting cheap straight etc...... if he had a set well thats just unlucky imo as tikay says get your chips in then theres no more tricky decisions to make.
    Posted by donkeyplop
    Hi mate look at my post a few above this one.Yes it was a cooler
  • edited July 2010
    is there not an argument that after u flat the 5k u now put in nearly half ur stack so alarm bells go off in villains head as u wont be folding any turn whereas shoving flop he could put u on a wider range? to an extent i think flatting pretty much says i have an A or Q and its pretty good whereas shoving, villain cud put u on the draw or if he has a weak A he might put u on a Q as he might think like everyone says u wudnt shove a good A here? im prob makin it too complicated :-/
    Posted by lynx3ffect
    i agree
  • edited July 2010
    If it's rainbow DEFO just flat call then get it in on the turn. As you say he had 55 and you lose, but tbh it doesn't matter in those situations you just have to say well done and move on to next game, your never folding top two pair are you ?
  • edited July 2010
    If it's rainbow DEFO just flat call then get it in on the turn. As you say he had 55 and you lose, but tbh it doesn't matter in those situations you just have to say well done and move on to next game, your never folding top two pair are you ?
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    NEVER dude mate NEVER