You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

2 hypothetical scenarios with no reads - pot odds? - "reverse pot odds"

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic

1)

6 max cash game, 20/40p - 6x 100bb stacks.

UTG+1 opens to £1.60.

Hero on the button raises to £4.80 with AK off.

Folded round to UTG+1 who min 4 bets - Im not sure what the min 4 bet wud be.....

How should the hero/would you.... react?

2)

6 max cash game, 20/40p - 6x 100bb stacks.

Folded round to Hero on the button.

Opens to £1.20 with Ace 9 off suit.

Sb folds

BB raises to £2.40.

How should the HERO/ would you.... react?

Been reading about reverse implied odds opening early position with hands that are easily domintated.
In the scenarios above, the range of hands unknown villains would be doing this with, are hands that absolutely crush my holdings, and hitting the flop, is probably the worst thing that could happen.

Is it reasonable to fold either, or both of the above scenarios, despite being offered almost unfoldable pot odds, and having position.

3) For Fun..

Hero opens with AK UTG for £1.20.

Button min raises, I believe this is £2.10.

Hero calls.

Flop K -7-2  Rainbow. (edited)

Hero leads £2

Villain snap min raises to £4

......How would you react?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Having gone that far, I'd probably call in the first position, and see the board texture- there'd need to at least be an A or K I think to continue on, considering their range. By that point I think it's worth the call.

Second one, meh... tough to say. I think I would call for image more than anything else- if you raise and fold to a small raise back at you, your raises don't have any power. Of course, you could fold knowing this and use it to your advantage, and tighten up your raising range considerably- but that may be picked up on too. Tough to say what hands on the flop I'd like in that situation though, there are a lot of kickers that have you crushed.

Third hand... I think I'd shove. Can't see what hand they have that has you crushed- A7 or A2 could have you dominated, and is possible I guess... but far more likely is a strong pp repping the A (88+) or an A with a weaker kicker- could be absolutely anything. Chance of a set too, but a flat there is more likely I think. Have to shove it, for me- if they fold great, if they call- I think you have them beat more often than not.
  • edited July 2010
    shove hand 1
    call hand 2 because i cant fold preflop
    all hand 3 & dont fold
  • edited July 2010
    if it causes you to spew off and call overbets on rivers where you're never good fold pre is best i thinks
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to 2 hypothetical scenarios with no reads - pot odds? - "reverse pot odds":
    1) 6 max cash game, 20/40p - 6x 100bb stacks. UTG+1 opens to £1.60. Hero on the button raises to £4.80 with AK off. Folded round to UTG+1 who min 4 bets - Im not sure what the min 4 bet wud be..... How should the hero/would you.... react? 2) 6 max cash game, 20/40p - 6x 100bb stacks. Folded round to Hero on the button. Opens to £1.20 with Ace 9 off suit. Sb folds BB raises to £2.40. How should the HERO/ would you.... react? Been reading about reverse implied odds opening early position with hands that are easily domintated. In the scenarios above, the range of hands unknown villains would be doing this with, are hands that absolutely crush my holdings, and hitting the flop, is probably the worst thing that could happen. Is it reasonable to fold either, or both of the above scenarios, despite being offered almost unfoldable pot odds, and having position. 3) For Fun.. Hero opens with AK UTG for £1.20. Button min raises, I believe this is £2.10. Hero calls. Flop K -7-2  Rainbow. (edited) Hero leads £2 Villain snap min raises to £4 ...... How would you react?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

1) you 3 bet to get it in no? calling is fine. play a flop. hit a purrr, profits.

2) Call play a flop, hit a purrrr profits.

3) why would you lead that's just lol. don't fold but don't continue so weirdly lol

Until you have reads you don't know what the minimum 4bet is. he could have aa or he could think 'ur at it'.

I had someone yesterday, limp the CO, I raise btn, get 2 flat callers and this guy minreraise squeezes us. I'm like zome he has the aces. cawl lemme hits pls. flop QT8 checks through, turn he min bets on a blank and he minbets the 2 river. 82o was good LOL - Just because it looks like a very strong hand doesn't have to be one, some people like lol raise just click buttons.
  • edited July 2010
    Surely you don't always 3 bet to get it in though, obvs bluffs you could 3 bet fold but im talking about when you 3 bet light for value and get 4 bet and fold. Like BTN raises, you 3 bet AJ in SB and get 4 bet and you fold... standard? Or are you gona say something about reads cuz thats not what im talking about.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: 2 hypothetical scenarios with no reads - pot odds? - "reverse pot odds":
    Surely you don't always 3 bet to get it in though, obvs bluffs you could 3 bet fold but im talking about when you 3 bet light for value and get 4 bet and fold. Like BTN raises, you 3 bet AJ in SB and get 4 bet and you fold... standard? Or are you gona say something about reads cuz thats not what im talking about.
    Posted by BlackFish3

3 bet with hands you want to get in or dont. not middling hands. why would you 3 bet ak and then get scared is my point.
  • edited July 2010

Using the range thing that offshoot explained on my other thread.......if someone opens In the cut off, for 4xbb, his range is quite wide - And I have good equity against his range

Therefore, with ace king on the button, you 3 bet for value coz you beat alot of his range?

When he 4 bets, you can narrow his range, for example to hands such as QQ+ and AKs, and therefore your equity in the hand has dropped......so you can make a decision?

Or have I turned my hand into a bluff? - and what's the difference between betting for value and then folding, to turning hands into bluffs?

Btw Im obviously asking, not telling, in what I say above, coz I dont understand....

• edited July 2010
    if villain rarely folds to 3bets but also only 4bets QQ+ then 3betting AJ/KQ type hands with the intention of folding to 4bets is fine imo
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: 2 hypothetical scenarios with no reads - pot odds? - "reverse pot odds":
    if villain rarely folds to 3bets but also only 4bets QQ+ then 3betting AJ/KQ type hands with the intention of folding to 4bets is fine imo
    Posted by LOL_RAISE

but this implies you have a read to know that they do that......
  • edited July 2010
    Using the range thing that offshoot explained on my other thread.......if someone opens In the cut off, for 4xbb, his range is quite wide - And I have good equity against his range Therefore, with ace king on the button, you 3 bet for value coz you beat alot of his range? When he 4 bets, you can narrow his range, for example to hands such as QQ+ and AKs, and therefore your equity in the hand has dropped......so you can make a decision? Or have I turned my hand into a bluff? - and what's the difference between betting for value and then folding, to turning hands into bluffs? Btw Im obviously asking, not telling, in what I say above, coz I dont understand....
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    whenever you 3bet, ask yourself why you are doing it, for VALUE or as a BLUFF? you should already have a plan of what you are going to do if they 4bet.

I.e A2s,K4s as a 3bet is obviously for a bluff, and we are folding to a 4bet.

99+,Aq+, when you are 3betting these hands it is obviously for value against there range, before you think "im 3betting here", ask yourself what you are doing if they 4bet? If your going to fold you are putting hands like 99-JJ Aq/AK in your bluffing range which is bad and is a leak. i would rather flat call there raise if you plan on 3bet/folding these strong hands.

If you 3bet preimum hands, you should be happy enough to call off pre, if not just flat there raise.
  • edited July 2010
    Been reading about reverse implied odds opening early position with hands that are easily domintated.
    In the scenarios above, the range of hands unknown villains would be doing this with, are hands that absolutely crush my holdings, and hitting the flop, is probably the worst thing that could happen.

what does this mean?
  • edited July 2010
    this is interesting regarding reverse implied odds:

say a reg TAG opens UTG NL50 6Max,  ok your on the button what hand would you rather call this raise with and why   78suited  or  KQ off???
  • edited July 2010
    this is interesting regarding reverse implied odds: say a reg TAG opens UTG NL50 6Max,  ok your on the button what hand would you rather call this raise with and why   78suited  or  KQ off???
    Posted by N1CK
    from tag raising from UTG i would just flat in both situations, because when 3bet and are called you are always going to behind, and when they 4bet it sucks because now you have to fold both hands which flop well and you had postion.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: 2 hypothetical scenarios with no reads - pot odds? - "reverse pot odds" : from tag raising from UTG i would just flat in both situations, because when 3bet and are called you are always going to behind, and when they 4bet it sucks because now you have to fold both hands which flop well and you had postion.
    Posted by harvey23
    the question was which hand would you  rather call with (which one is the best ) nothing about 3/4 betting,
    this is regarding reversed implied odds