You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What next?

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
ATOMIC28 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £0.51
key666 Sitout     
Patching99 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.30
  Your hole cards

Wakey_S Fold     
fenlandpat Fold     
Call  £0.04 £0.10 £5.05
ATOMIC28 Call  £0.02 £0.12 £0.49
Patching99 Check     
Flop

ATOMIC28 Check     
Patching99 Bet  £0.08 £0.20 £4.22
Call  £0.08 £0.28 £4.97
ATOMIC28 Fold     
Turn

Patching99 Bet  £0.20 £0.48 £4.02
1Call  £0.20 £0.68 £4.77
River

Right my notes on player are:
Limped in with A8s, 99
4x raise with AKo, 22
He is regular 4NL who multi-tables.  Anyone who plays this level prob knows who this is.

Hand so far,
Just checked the 89s, I don't raise with suited connectors often at this level.
Flop comes 9 high so still bit wary as have low kicker.
Turn comes, now have two pair so think i'm ahead and bet again.
River means there is now a possible flush out there.

I think I am ahead of all his hands apart from AXs.

Do I check or bet???

Comments

• edited July 2010
    river is a easy 40p bet fold situation.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: What next?:
    Posted by harvey23
    Personally to the origional poster. Raise more on flop.

Secondly im going to ask Harvey here, how is it an easy fold i cant see you thr 6 of clubs helps this opponent?
  • edited July 2010
    Bet 50p and fold if raised, he could have 45 here.
  • edited July 2010
    Posted by harvey23
    Can you explain why this is easy.  What hands am I beating that will call 40p bet?

I dont like the check, cause I will defo face a bet then.  Is this an awful reason to bet?
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: What next? : Personally to the origional poster. Raise more on flop. Secondly im going to ask Harvey here, how is it an easy fold i cant see you thr 6 of clubs helps this opponent?
    Posted by The_Don90
    Why raise more on flop here.  I have top pair weak kicker and bet 3/4 of the pot.  What does betting more achieve?
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: What next? : Can you explain why this is easy.  What hands am I beating that will call 40p bet? I dont like the check, cause I will defo face a bet then.  Is this an awful reason to bet?
    Posted by Patching99
    the player on the button already looks like a terriable player for just limping on the button, the best spot in poker and instead of rasing to put on pressure, he limps. so im sure they will call with any PP any 9x and perhaps and 8x

people on this site give others plays too much credit, most of the playeres are poor just look at your hand history he open limed on the button, he is prob some fish, and you can valuetown him, he will call with any pair most likely.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: What next? : the player on the button already looks like a terriable player for just limping on the button, the best spot in poker and instead of rasing to put on pressure, he limps. so im sure they will call with any PP any 9x and perhaps and 8x people on this site give others plays too much credit, most of the playeres are poor just look at your hand history he open limed on the button, he is prob some fish, and you can valuetown him, he will call with any pair most likely.
    Posted by harvey23
    The limp on the buttom is what had me worried when the 3rd club fell, looked like a Axs from the start to me.  I know I cant always be worried about the flush but it did cross my mind.

This player gets into the top 50 of the poker league by playing 4NL!  In other words he is 6 tabling for hours on end each day.  Does this change things?
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: What next? : The limp on the buttom is what had me worried when the 3rd club fell, looked like a Axs from the start to me.  I know I cant always be worried about the flush but it did cross my mind. This player gets into the top 50 of the poker league by playing 4NL!  In other words he is 6 tabling for hours on end each day.  Does this change things?
    Posted by Patching99
    is hes grinding 4nl for hours on end he is not very good. as I would prob be out of 4nl after a few days.

the whole idea of the bet fold is that you ARE going to called by alot of hands like 9x 8x and a ton of other stuff, he is only raising you with flushes and a staright, which is why you bet to get value from the hands you beat, and they are ONLY raising with a flush or a staright, this is were you fold to a raise. Checking here is just to weak and your missing a ton of value.

nothing else needs to be said.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: What next? :  [b]is hes grinding 4nl for hours on end he is not very good. as I would prob be out of 4nl after a few days.[/b]
    Posted by harvey23

comedy lolz

(ya ez b/f on riv)
  • edited July 2010
    Bet 50p and fold if raised, he could have 45 here.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Good spot. I missed the straight draw. Id just woke up when asked that question.

In Response to Re: What next? : Why raise more on flop here.  I have top pair weak kicker and bet 3/4 of the pot.  What does betting more achieve?
    Posted by Patching99
    Ok fair enough just checked back to see it was limped.

I understand your on BB here. Now its been limped, and usualy at NL4 i like to raise things up, you may have played me im not sure. Anyways, i hate limping pots, so with any decent holding, 98 can be classed as decent raise it to 12p doesnt state you have a monster, but its not commiting too much if you miss and may take it down to one opponent.

Then on the flop when you hit top pair your 3/4 bet turns into 21p. Turn bet then turns into 52.5p rounded up to 53p by the system for another 3/4 pot size bet.

Ok so if he had 45 he may still call and fish out on you. However it means you will also get paid more for everytime he fishes down and misses which will happen more often than not.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: What next? : is hes grinding 4nl for hours on end he is not very good. as I would prob be out of 4nl after a few days. the whole idea of the bet fold is that you ARE going to called by alot of hands like 9x 8x and a ton of other stuff, he is only raising you with flushes and a staright, which is why you bet to get value from the hands you beat, and they are ONLY raising with a flush or a staright, this is were you fold to a raise. Checking here is just to weak and your missing a ton of value. nothing else needs to be said.
    Posted by harvey23
    Ha, thanks for the explanation.  I did bet about 50p which was called and mucked.  It was just one of those hands that I wasn't convinced what i was doing was right.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: What next? : Good spot. I missed the straight draw. Id just woke up when asked that question. In Response to Re: What next? : Ok fair enough just checked back to see it was limped.   I understand your on BB here. Now its been limped, and usualy at NL4 i like to raise things up, you may have played me im not sure. Anyways, i hate limping pots, so with any decent holding, 98 can be classed as decent raise it to 12p doesnt state you have a monster, but its not commiting too much if you miss and may take it down to one opponent. Then on the flop when you hit top pair your 3/4 bet turns into 21p. Turn bet then turns into 52.5p rounded up to 53p by the system for another 3/4 pot size bet. Ok so if he had 45 he may still call and fish out on you. However it means you will also get paid more for everytime he fishes down and misses which will happen more often than not.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Cheers Don, don't think I have played you yet, sure our paths will cross soon.  I wasn't against a bigger raise just like to here the reasons behind your thinking.  I can see how raising it up may win me a bigger pot.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: What next? : Cheers Don, don't think I have played you yet, sure our paths will cross soon.  I wasn't against a bigger raise just like to here the reasons behind your thinking.  I can see how raising it up may win me a bigger pot.
    Posted by Patching99
    Yea another reason for this, is say you Pick up AA a couple of hands later. Ok your raise will be more than 12p. But then your more likley to get action because people have seen you raiser with 89.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: What next? : Yea another reason for this, is say you Pick up AA a couple of hands later. Ok your raise will be more than 12p. But then your more likley to get action because people have seen you raiser with 89.
    Posted by The_Don90
    I know there are a few players at this level trying to play however pretty sure that the majority aren't paying any attention to what we are doing.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: What next? : I know there are a few players at this level trying to play however pretty sure that the majority aren't paying any attention to what we are doing.
    Posted by Patching99
    Yea i know, i find the level really annoying, the people that want to beat it such as me and you will eventually do it but some people are just there because its a cheap thrill and pay no attention what soever and donk out so many times its killed my BR.

I had one the other day kind of felt for the guy, id got 3 Big hands in a row, KK AK and third AA. So very similar raises, picked up blinds and limps first 2, third time this guy said in the chat box, not 3 times in a row your getting away with it and shoved. I call with AA and he shows 92 just trying to use my image a little.

So it does work, however as youve said those that dont give a monkey are often the most dangerous because they just dont care. See my free money threads, but so often this comes back and bites you in the rear because they hit they miricle cards.