You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

3D Technology

edited July 2010 in Sky Poker Live
This isn't really a poker tv question (unless you are going to do 3D poker) however i thought someone from Sky tv could enlighten me as you must have expertise in this area. I have noticed that recently sky have shown 3D coverage of a football match, and now the world matchplay darts. It is only shown in selected pubs a clubs. I was wondering how far your technology, and that of the television maufacturers have come where you can show 3D in peoples homes on a regular basis, or have you got asperations to do this already? I dont have HD because to be honest, ive watched it round my daughters house, and i cant really see much difference, certainly not to justify a tenner extra a month, however i would consider paying extra for 3D as there is a marked improvement!

Comments

• edited July 2010

one consideration is whether you have HD eyesight.

• edited July 2010
    Can't comment on the 3D stuff as I've never seen it, but I'm struck by your comment (Loony) about not seeing much of a difference with HD! Are you sure you were watching an HD broadcast? Did you compare it to the SD broadcast of the same programme? I ask because the difference between SD and HD is HUUUUUGE. Next time the football is on Sky Sports 1 just try switching between 401 (SD) and 408 (HD).

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: 3D Technology:
    Can't comment on the 3D stuff as I've never seen it, but I'm struck by your comment (Loony) about not seeing much of a difference with HD! Are you sure you were watching an HD broadcast? Did you compare it to the SD broadcast of the same programme? I ask because the difference between SD and HD is HUUUUUGE. Next time the football is on Sky Sports 1 just try switching between 401 (SD) and 408 (HD).  
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    I was actually flicking between the standard view channel and the HD channel, and the crowd were a bit clearer, but it didnt seem that great, and it was one of those super duper 42" HD Plasma blah blah blah tellies lol. Saying that i thought the standard view was super clear as well! I do wear glasses for watching the tv and i was wearing them at the time, but im not exactly mr Magoo lol.
  • edited July 2010
    I'd love to see those poker cards in their full 3D glory, watching those 'flat' cards on TV just isn't realistic.  'Flat' cards are so 1990's bring us full fat 3D cards.
  • edited July 2010
    I'd love to see those poker cards in their full 3D glory, watching those 'flat' cards on TV just isn't realistic.  'Flat' cards are so 1990's bring us full fat 3D cards.
    Posted by Machka
    What about the presenters?
  • edited July 2010
    3D will be shown on a regular basis from this Autumn i believe. You may want to read this warning from Samsung before you decide to purchase it though:

The world's biggest electronics company has issued an extraordinary health warning about the dangers of watching 3D television.

Pregnant women, the elderly, children and those suffering from serious medical conditions are among a wide range of people said to be at risk.

The alert extends to those who have been sleep deprived or drinking. It highlights alarming side effects such as confusion, nausea, convulsions, altered vision, light-headedness, dizziness, and involuntary movements such as eye or muscle twitching and cramps.

Samsung says there are also concerns that those with epilepsy could be at risk of fits - as they are from strobe lighting and photographers' flashes on normal television.

Watching 3D on TV, which involves wearing special glasses like those used for 3D movies, bombards the eyes and brain with a succession of flashing images that appear for a fraction of a second.

It is a new way of seeing things and so puts unusual strain on the body.

The warning has been posted on a Samsung website and appears  designed to protect the manufacturer from any legal claims for compensation if people fall ill.

• edited July 2010
    3D will be shown on a regular basis from this Autumn i believe. You may want to read this warning from Samsung before you decide to purchase it though: The world's biggest electronics company has issued an extraordinary health warning about the dangers of watching 3D television. Pregnant women, the elderly, children and those suffering from serious medical conditions are among a wide range of people said to be at risk. The alert extends to those who have been sleep deprived or drinking. It highlights alarming side effects such as confusion, nausea, convulsions, altered vision, light-headedness, dizziness, and involuntary movements such as eye or muscle twitching and cramps.   Samsung says there are also concerns that those with epilepsy could be at risk of fits - as they are from strobe lighting and photographers' flashes on normal television. Watching 3D on TV, which involves wearing special glasses like those used for 3D movies, bombards the eyes and brain with a succession of flashing images that appear for a fraction of a second. It is a new way of seeing things and so puts unusual strain on the body. The warning has been posted on a Samsung website and appears  designed to protect the manufacturer from any legal claims for compensation if people fall ill.
    Posted by QDMCGRAW

HAHA and sky show the footy and darts in pubs and clubs lol

• edited July 2010

to remain safe from all those side effects i have decided to close one eye all day long now and only view the world in 2D