You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Problem with people being "away" in Sit&Go's

edited July 2010 in Poker Chat
so i signed up to sky poker midweek and have ben playing a few sit and go tournaments - double your money usually to get me started. im up a fair bit so far but ive noticed a problem with people entering tournaments and simply setting their status to "away". they only lose chips to the blinds and then either return when there is 4 people left or dont return at all. it just completely upsets the flow of the game and is cheating in my eyes.

fair enough if somebody is away to answer a call, but it happens far too often for it to be a coincidence. very disappointing that people enter then sng's with the intent to appear "away" instead of simply playing the game and earning a top 3 finish.

surely something can be done about this?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Welcome to the site and the forum Mcgooook

Regarding the "problem" of people sitting out in sit and goes, i do understand that this can be annoying. However, there is, and could not or should not be, an obligation to not be "away"..  I may wish to have a cup of coffee or a sandwich or something..., i dont want to be penalised for being thirsty or hungry. i may have a dodgy intenet connection, etc... etc...

It is also not an advantage to be "away" in my opinion. The same can be achieved by not playing any hands but just sitting there, in fact, if you are "away" your blinds can be pinched, so its better to at least be there so it looks like you might try and defend them, even if you wont...How can it be cheating??? i just don't get it...

Good luck at the tables

Hoggers

• edited July 2010
    They payed to enter. so It's their choice if they wish to sit out. The best thing you can do is keep stealing their blinds until they return.
    In a lot of cases in the mcrostakes sit & goes it is more benificial to be away as other players will knock each other out first and the player that is away will all of a sudden pop back when he has a premium hand and then be away again.

The idea of a DYM is to double your money, as long as you do that within the rules then thats ok.

Do I sit at my PC and keep clicking fold or do I just sit away? The outcome is the same Survival is the Answer.
  • edited July 2010
    im saying fair enough to the people that actually want that cuppa or want to answer the door or phone. but there are people out there that intentionally go into sng's to set their status as "away" and then reappear when there is 4 people left. i just think that there should be a limit as to the amount of hands you can miss or the amount of time that you can stay away for.

being able to be away for 30 minutes is rediculous in my opinion. its there for the people that need it, but people are abusing it. that means something has to be changed surely.
  • edited July 2010
    You should be glad they are sitting out, its one less person to worry about and free blinds for you.
  • edited July 2010
    I entered a dym yesterday and everyone was there playing,gutted I was,cheek!!
  • edited July 2010
    Welcome to the forum.

This topic has been discussed many times before.

It really isn't a problem - as has already been said, it is one player less to beat and it really isn't any different to a person just folding every (non-huge) hand early on (which many would deem good tactics).

The most detailed recent thread on this topic is here.

You seem to be doing fine so I'd just be happy that the games are easier to beat, if I were you.
  • edited July 2010
    Here is a thread that has several more links to other threads on this topic.

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Problem with people being "away" in Sit&Go's:
    im saying fair enough to the people that actually want that cuppa or want to answer the door or phone. but there are people out there that intentionally go into sng's to set their status as "away" and then reappear when there is 4 people left. i just think that there should be a limit as to the amount of hands you can miss or the amount of time that you can stay away for. being able to be away for 30 minutes is rediculous in my opinion. its there for the people that need it, but people are abusing it. that means something has to be changed surely.
    Posted by McGooook
    Yep, pretty much what everyone else has already said. Might seem annoying at first but you'll soon realise you always want players "away" at your table - makes it a much easier game.

Welcome to the site and good luck with your play, I'm sure you'll do great.
  • edited July 2010

I've not really noticed people being away too much in sit n go's to be honest, I would think that most of the time it's because of connection problems.
  • edited July 2010
    I play H/U SnG's quite a bit and i quite regularly steal a few blinds before the other player is even seated at the table. I think it's to do with Sky's notorious flash player problems that some players experience. If it's a regular player i'm against who i like or who i think would wait for me then i'll check a few hands down, if not then it's an insta raise from me.
  • edited July 2010
    It's not the 'away' players that are a problem for me. I usually, but not always, beat them. It's the ones that are there that cause me headaches...
  • edited July 2010
    Hi Rich

I thought you looked like being "away" was your standard play Rich ;)
  • edited July 2010

Its just the same as folding every hand, is there a problem with ppl that do that?

Btw..the problem comes on the bubble when theres an away player and ppl fold to him!!

Grrrrrrrrrrr I can't let it gooooooo
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Problem with people being "away" in Sit&Go's:
    Its just the same as folding every hand, is there a problem with ppl that do that? Btw..the problem comes on the bubble when theres an away player and ppl fold to him!! Grrrrrrrrrrr I can't let it gooooooo
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I have to admit that I did that once but only because I was multitabling and missed the fact they were away.