You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

loose calling

edited July 2010 in Poker Chat

only been playing on here for about a month ,and i just cant seem to make any headway,profit wise due to  some outrageous calls ,with inferior holdings .......normally i have them dominated ,but they just seem to hit their miracle cards ,or 2 pair, or 4 to the flush ,....and thier re raising me allin pre flop,,,,,thought when it happened first time ,it was a drunk ,or complete novice ,but this seems 2 be the standard of play thoughout ,any sort of decent holdings that i get seem to get crushed against allin shovers (any 2 will do )any play like this on other sites would bankrupt these fools ,its so annoying when my bankroll should be fat n juicy ,not deflated,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rant over,,,,,,,,ps am i missing something here, or is this the standard of play on sky poker ,,,,and dont even get me started on low stakes cash tables, every body just calls ,this is the only site ive played on that ive seen this happen as standard play?   even im considering to make some of these outrageuos shoves ,seems pretty profitable..........

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Roseyellow.

Im not sure what your holdings are in any of these hands, or what you opponent has. However here on Sky unlike 90% of sites we're six handed. This increases the chances of these "lesser" holding such as Q10 of winning.

Table dynamics are everything. Now i play on sky and play well but i struggle 9 handed on other sites, although im strong live 9 handed for some reason. :(.

Anyways, players come here from other sites and complain, i dont know if youve played on other sites or just a live player, however 6 handed changes alot compared to 9 handed.

Anyways i wish you luck, should you contiune to struggle on Sky i recommend the poker clinic, those guys have massivly improved my game.
  • edited July 2010

Hi Rosey,

I'm sure if you continue to get your chips in good you will start making profit in the long run... A month is not long enough time span to even itself out, i'm sure after 6 months if you're still getting them in good you'll be fine
  • edited July 2010
    hi don , hand 1 ,i raise with ak utg ,bb shoves with k9 suited, i call .........villain flops 2 pair ........................hand 2 i raise with 99 ,sb shoves with queen 3 off suit ,and flops a queen .............hand 3 i have pocket tens and i raise  ,bb calls with j5 suited , flop comes 9 high rainbow ,villan shoves and hits his jack .on the river...........i wasnt shortstaked in any of these games and neither were the villians ,so i dont understand these kind of moves ,was so looking forward to qualifying for tonights primo tourny ,but sadly its not to be ,and im 14 quid out of pocket on todays efforts ,,,lets hope my luck changes soon ....rosey
  • edited July 2010
    If you're making plays with big hands and getting called by garbage, or at least inferior hands, then you're doing everything right and should be over the moon to be playing against donks willing to pay off your big hands.

I hate bad beats as much as anything, but you have to separate bad play from bad beats, and make sure you wholly understand the difference. If you get your money in first, and are called by an inferior hand, yes- 60/70/80% of the time your hand will hold up, but 40/30/20% of the time it won't. That's a part of poker. Provided you've done everything right, and have been the aggressor with a superior hand, it'll turn.

Of course, if you're making a habit of calling huge bets with marginal hands (anything less than AA/KK/QQ/AK and maybe AQ and JJ) then you need to check your own game first. You can't expect to win every hand, even if you're dominating 95%, 5% of the time you'll lose. Keep it up and don't lose heart, sounds like you're in a dream spot to me! :)
  • edited July 2010
    people loosen up in sats they take chances its the nature of the game,you will come good in the end
    edit:1000 posts do i get free entry into a tourney or summat ;-)
  • edited July 2010
    I hope you are not suggesting there are nutters on this site!
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: loose calling:
    hi don , hand 1 ,i raise with ak utg ,bb shoves with k9 suited, i call .........villain flops 2 pair ........................hand 2 i raise with 99 ,sb shoves with queen 3 off suit ,and flops a queen .............hand 3 i have pocket tens and i raise  ,bb calls with j5 suited , flop comes 9 high rainbow ,villan shoves and hits his jack .on the river...........i wasnt shortstaked in any of these games and neither were the villians ,so i dont understand these kind of moves ,was so looking forward to qualifying for tonights primo tourny ,but sadly its not to be ,and im 14 quid out of pocket on todays efforts ,,,lets hope my luck changes soon ....rosey
    Posted by ROSEYELLOW
    From what i can see i all three of these occassions you opponent shoves. This means your opponent has made a bluff and got lucky.

Ive also lost countless times like this, however if you get the money in favorite it will come.
  • edited July 2010
    thanks don ,just played another game £5 sit ngo ,got ak in bb ,button shoves allin with aq and flops 2 pair aaarrrggggggghhhhhhhhh relentless
  • edited July 2010
    thanks don ,just played another game £5 sit ngo ,got ak in bb ,button shoves allin with aq and flops 2 pair aaarrrggggggghhhhhhhhh relentless
    Posted by ROSEYELLOW
    Im sure i read about that. Although from what i seen of it, it was SB v BB and folded round 10 handed. Id say in that situation id probably make the same move or similar move depending on stack with AQ trying to avoid seeing a flop.

Keep getting your money in, infront. I know your pain im on a bad run myself. Although if you trully need to let alot of steam off visit area 51 and go nuts and then return to the tables. I have alot of shame for visiting there when i do, but when i come back ive lost the urge to shout. Also have something soft and not worth much near by, often a punch gets the steam out to.

Have fair and good luck, youll get there
  • edited July 2010
    Regarding sats and tourneys: Most inexperienced players believe that a big stack from the off is imperative. This isn't the case but what it means is that in the early stages you will get a lot of chancers who will hit big stacks very early on. To lead a tourney from the early stages to the end game takes a very talented player, so virtually all the early leaders will fall as the tourney progresses. In the early stages play premium hands only, get big money in early and avoid the slow play. As the tournament progresses loosen up gradually and make sure you have used your idle time to weigh up the other players. Think of it as a marathon and not a sprint. Setting off at a sprint never works unless you are exceptionally talented.

Having said all that you will still get major coolers because that is the nature of the beast in sats and tournaments. It still gets to me after 40 years of this game but it's something you have to learn to live with ........ or become a first class whinger like me when it all goes wrong :o)
  • edited July 2010
    kick the dog always helps (unless a beige and white terrier)
  • edited July 2010
    used to it now i feel your pain i myself have had it up to hear (imagine me raising my arm in the air). So switching to live play where i can crush them for such stupidity and laugh in there pittyfull faces as they leave the building :) gl anyways its a minefield out there
  • edited July 2010

you all must realise this site has to<let>all players win or they will eventually stop playing.i have tried most sites and to me thay are all the same.maybe its differant on higher stake games.

• edited July 2010
    In Response to loose calling:
    only been playing on here for about a month ,and i just cant seem to make any headway,profit wise due to  some outrageous calls ,with inferior holdings .......normally i have them dominated ,but they just seem to hit their miracle cards ,or 2 pair, or 4 to the flush ,....and thier re raising me allin pre flop,,,,,thought when it happened first time ,it was a drunk ,or complete novice ,but this seems 2 be the standard of play thoughout ,any sort of decent holdings that i get seem to get crushed against allin shovers (any 2 will do )any play like this on other sites would bankrupt these fools ,its so annoying when my bankroll should be fat n juicy ,not deflated,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rant over,,,,,,,,ps am i missing something here, or is this the standard of play on sky poker ,,,,and dont even get me started on low stakes cash tables, every body just calls ,this is the only site ive played on that ive seen this happen as standard play?   even im considering to make some of these outrageuos shoves ,seems pretty profitable..........
    Posted by ROSEYELLOW
    yes ,unfortunately bad calls are 'the norm' here,and at other online sites..however it is usually justified by the fact that 'they' outdraw you,and their bad call becomes outstanding play..it doesnt get any better the longer you stay here or the higher levels you play..and even tho you are doing evrything right,it does ur brain and bankroll in..GL.
  • edited July 2010

played one game tonight (the open)paid to enter ,£11.............was going nicely ,,,,,,got dealt kk ,slow played it lol,chip leader in bb hits top pair ,with j9 and shoves allin ,i call ...another jack on the river ...........oh well ,my fault for slow playing ,,,if only my hands would hold up ,i would be loaded......"_"    ps i did manage to get a couple of heads ,too ease the bankroll decline tho ..

• edited July 2010
    played one game tonight (the open)paid to enter ,£11.............was going nicely ,,,,,,got dealt kk ,slow played it lol,chip leader in bb hits top pair ,with j9 and shoves allin ,i call ...another jack on the river ...........oh well ,my fault for slow playing ,,,if only my hands would hold up ,i would be loaded......"_"    ps i did manage to get a couple of heads ,too ease the bankroll decline tho ..
    Posted by ROSEYELLOW
    thats a skypoker lesson,NO SLOW PLAY,makes perfect sense to slow play because 'alledgedly' people seldom hit the flop(you would expect even less often when 6 handed)..but they always will hit when uv got KK or AA,or when theyr chip/table leader......just to teach you that lesson..you may be playing a game of SKILL,while 5 others are playing a game based on luck,..if u aint as lucky you lose...id say go play for real,alot more enjoyable,and not so much bs outcomes,..no one wants to look like a donkey chump face to face..
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to loose calling:
    Posted by ROSEYELLOW
    i know how you feel, trying to build a bankroll at low stakes say 2/4p is impossible. The garbage ppl call with is unreal. At low stakes i have heard it all, when you say (How can you call with that?) i have heard all sorts such as ITS ONLY POCKET MONEY WHATS YOUR PROBLEM ? or IM BORED, so tring to build a bankroll is impossible. I have come to the conclustion that i am only going to play when i have a bigger bankroll to play higher, which i have do in the past. When the pot is only 78p ppl call more hoping there j 5 is good, oh poker dont you just love it.
  • edited July 2010
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    matrixman Small blind  25.00 25.00 2505.00
    jake62 Big blind  50.00 75.00 2890.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

FOLEYBOY1 Fold     
    Aaaces3 Fold     
    ROSEYELLOW Raise  150.00 225.00 3572.50
    vinyodo22 Call  150.00 375.00 4875.00
    matrixman Fold     
    jake62 All-in  2890.00 3265.00 0.00
    ROSEYELLOW Call  2790.00 6055.00 782.50
    vinyodo22 Fold     
    jake62 Show

ROSEYELLOW Show
    • A
    • A

Flop

Turn

River

jake62 Win Full House, 10s and 6s 6055.00  6055.00
  • edited July 2010

NOT MUCH HOPE FOR ME ON THIS SITE ,only been here a month ,and all ive had is a constant run of bad beats......playing well enough,just cant get my hands to hold up ........just the suckouts are relentless ,think thats my 9th on a trot .............money in good last 9 times...bankroll nearly gone ...........i think its fair to say ,i will be too ...........not impressed ,seems to me in my expierience over the last month ,the worst hands always win ...........thats a fact ,of what ive played .............u cant argue with it ,9 beats on a trot ............should have listened to my brother   ...oh well ,lets give the rest of my bankroll too the donks   :(

• edited July 2010
    NOT MUCH HOPE FOR ME ON THIS SITE ,only been here a month ,and all ive ha d is a constant run of bad beats......playing well enough,just cant get my hands to hold up ........just the suckouts are relentless ,think thats my 9th on a trot .............money in good last 9 times...bankroll nearly gone ...........i think its fair to say ,i will be too ...........not impressed ,seems to me in my expierience over the last month ,the worst hands always win ...........thats a fact ,of what ive played .............u cant argue with it ,9 beats on a trot ............should have listened to my brother   ...oh well ,lets give the rest of my bankroll too the donks   :(
    Posted by ROSEYELLOW
    we've all been there.
    I've had hot and cold periods - (currently Arctic bound!). All you can do is get the money in when you're favourite.
    Happens on all sites and live too.
    Admittedly at the low stakes I play at there are a lot of people who play for fun and want to gamble. Even though at the moment I am getting beaten by being out drawn, rivered,etc even though strong favourite it will (?) come back my way, I hope. I was on a roll for a month or so not long ago and did well. I know I was lucky on a number of ocassions.
    good luck to you, whatever you decide