You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Deciding what stakes to play with?

edited July 2010 in Poker Chat
hey there. joined midweek and deposited £35. managed to more than double that through sit&go's through the week but today i went into a cash game with 15/30 blinds and sat down with £30. i left the table an hour later with £61 but im unsure if this is the right stakes for me to be playing with my current bankroll of £110.

from experience what stakes would you play with in a similar situation? also what stakes do you currently play with, with your current bankroll and how have you got on?

thanks, McGook.

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Is that your entire bankroll for poker or will you be depositing more if it all goes?
    Correct BR managment says you should have 20 buy ins for the level. So at 15/30 a full buyin is £30 therefore you're bankroll should be £600. So technically you're playing to high a level for your bankroll.
  • edited July 2010
    Hi McGooook

If I'm playing cash then I always like to have at least 20 buy ins for any level that I play so if you're gonna play 15/30p tables then you should really have at least £600 in your bankroll.

For STT's (sit & go's) I tend not to buy in for more than 5% of my bankroll. For MTT's (multi table tournaments) I tend not to buy in for more than 2-3% of my bankroll. The reason for this is that in MTT's there can be a high level of variance which can quickly kill off your BR.

Having said all that though, it does also depend on your attitude to the £70 in your account as well. 

I would say that with your BR the highest cash level you should play is 4/8p but even then you only have less than 9 buy ins.

The biggest danger to playing 15/30p cash games is that all it takes is literally a couple of coolers (unlucky losses) & you've lost the lot & will have to redeposit.

One other thing I would recommend is to play the small buy in deepstack tournaments. You can buy into these for as little as £2.20 & with a starting stack of 5000 chips & 12 minute blinds you get plenty of game for your money. Plus you can potentially get some great returns on your stake for going deep in them.
  • edited July 2010

100 quids already mate vwd now you can go on the 50p/£1 tables and clean em all out ;o) gl mate

• edited July 2010
    Bankroll Shmankroll.

Play and win.

:-)
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Deciding what stakes to play with?:
    hey there. joined midweek and deposited £35. managed to more than double that through sit&go's through the week but today i went into a cash game with 15/30 blinds and sat down with £30. i left the table an hour later with £61 but im unsure if this is the right stakes for me to be playing with my current bankroll of £110. from experience what stakes would you play with in a similar situation? also what stakes do you currently play with, with your current bankroll and how have you got on? thanks, McGook.
    Posted by McGooook

You will get the usual 5% rule guys coming on, so with £110 you would be playing no more than 2p/4p tables! However, i reckon it's far more important to play within your means, and what you feel comfortable with. If your winning at a particular level, stay at that level, if you are losing at a particular level, go down a level, as long as your enjoying it and having fun, that's the important bit, leave the serious stuff to the pros. Two rules i always keep to when playing on-line poker is :-
    1) Don't just play with what you can afford to lose, play with what you won't even miss. 
    2) Only ever play with 'spare' money, NEVER play with 'living expenses/borrowed' money.
    That way you will never be playing with scared money and if you do lose it wont have any adverse effects on your life, and you will enjoy it more.
  • edited July 2010
    thanks a lot. helpful guidelines there. so i was way out of my depth in that 15/30 for my £110 bankroll.

does everyone stick to this rule of thumb or is it simply preferences? in that table i was on i seen people come and go and just lose everything. would most of those people have at least half a grand in their BR?

it would be hard to resist another stint in a 15/30 blind cash game.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Deciding what stakes to play with?:
    thanks a lot. helpful guidelines there. so i was way out of my depth in that 15/30 for my £110 bankroll. does everyone stick to this rule of thumb or is it simply preferences? in that table i was on i seen people come and go and just lose everything. would most of those people have at least half a grand in their BR? it would be hard to resist another stint in a 15/30 blind cash game.
    Posted by McGooook
    No some people will go on the 15/30p table with their entire bank roll of £3 - now that is stupid!
  • edited July 2010
    thanks a lot. helpful guidelines there. so i was way out of my depth in that 15/30 for my £110 bankroll. does everyone stick to this rule of thumb or is it simply preferences? in that table i was on i seen people come and go and just lose everything. would most of those people have at least half a grand in their BR? it would be hard to resist another stint in a 15/30 blind cash game.
    Posted by McGooook
    It's general guidelines.

Alot of people won't stick to it but means you are far more likely to bust your roll and have to deposit to start again if you dont.

It's a security net for if you hit a bad run of varience that you still have money to claw it back, even if it means moving down the levels temporarily.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Deciding what stakes to play with? : No some people will go on the 15/30p table with their entire bank roll of £3 - now that is stupid!
    Posted by loonytoons
    No need to pick on rich orf is there now ;o)
  • edited July 2010
    depends what you want to get out of playing poker... if its just pure funsies then play whatever, go crazy, enjoy yourself. Just probs best to gamble with what you can afford to lose.