You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

too aggressive?

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic

im trying to improve my game, im an extremly aggressive player majority of the time which has its good and bad points, my sessions are varied i find that when i win i tend to win big and vice versa when i lose i lose quite a bit. ive been getting help privately off a couple of very good regs on here but i thought id put a few hands up which ive played over past week or so. i love playing in postiion no matter what my cards and try to hammer ppl down the streets, i think my hand reading is fairly good, but i think im perhaps too aggressive and need to tighten up. any of the hands below would you have played them differently?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Bushack11 Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £43.75
SFD Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £54.06
  Your hole cards

CLIOKID Fold     
teddy991 Fold     
Eagle26 Raise  £2.00 £2.75 £77.48
Call  £2.00 £4.75 £37.12
Bushack11 Fold     
SFD Call  £1.50 £6.25 £52.56
Flop

• K

SFD Check     
Eagle26 Bet  £4.69 £10.94 £72.79
Call  £4.69 £15.63 £32.43
SFD Fold     
Turn

• A

Eagle26 Bet  £11.72 £27.35 £61.07
Call  £11.72 £39.07 £20.71
River

Eagle26 All-in  £61.07 £100.14 £0.00
All-in  £20.71 £120.85 £0.00
Eagle26 Unmatched bet  £40.36 £80.49 £40.36
Eagle26 Show

Show
  • Q
  • K

Eagle26 Win Two Pairs, 7s and 6s £78.69  £119.05

villian is a reg and is a bit of a nit. i raise cut off and obviously due to him calling on the button im playing the hand oop i make a standard c bet and get called - at this point i put the guy on a K the ace drops on the turn - so i fire again reppin the ace, when he calls ive pretty much gave up on the hand, until i hit my 2 pair on the river obviously. should i have bet the turn?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xSmall blind £0.20£0.20£65.25
SadLoner69Big blind £0.40£0.60£91.43
NAROWBig blind £0.40£1.00£8.16
 Your hole cards

NAROWCheck    
Eagle26Raise £1.20£2.20£40.82
Call £1.20£3.40£71.51
xCall £1.00£4.40£64.25
SadLoner69Fold    
NAROWCall £0.80£5.20£7.36
Flop

• Q
  • K

xCheck    
NAROWCheck    
Eagle26Bet £3.90£9.10£36.92
xCall £3.90£13.00£67.61
 Fold    
NAROWFold    
Turn

• J

Eagle26Bet £9.75£22.75£27.17
xCall £9.75£32.50£57.86
River

Eagle26All-in £27.17£59.67£0.00
xCall £27.17£86.84£30.69
Eagle26Show

xShow
  • J
  • Q

Eagle26WinFlush to the King£85.04 £85.04

same again, did i play the draw too aggressive? villian hits 2 pair on the turn so if he re-raises me here im in trouble as it happens it turned out perfect! but should i have been betting the turn or cc/cf? sometimes i get in situations like this and am unsure what to do so tend to go for the aggressive option.

LeopardGodSmall blind £0.20£0.20£64.69
xBig blind £0.40£0.60£39.00
 Your hole cards
  • A

SadLoner69Fold    
mardel501Fold    
Eagle26 Raise £1.60£2.20£48.53
LeopardGodCall £1.40£3.60£63.29
xCall £1.20£4.80£37.80
Flop

• Q
  • J

LeopardGodCheck    
xBet £1.20£6.00£36.60
Eagle26Raise £4.80£10.80£43.73
LeopardGodFold    
xCall £3.60£14.40£33.00
Turn

xCheck    
Eagle26Bet £10.80£25.20£32.93
xCall £10.80£36.00£22.20
River

xAll-in £22.20£58.20£0.00
Eagle26Call £22.20£80.40£10.73
xShow

Eagle26Show
  • A

xWinPair of 3s£78.60 £78.60
villian in this hand aint the greatest, when he donk bets flop and speed he calls my flop raise and turn bet im instantly putting him on flushdraw, i read the hand right but should i be making the call here on the river with ace high?

Comments

• edited July 2010

Ahhhhhh I remember these days.

Always nice when the river drops in. - Do you make the same bets on the river if you miss?
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: too aggressive?:
    - Do you make the same bets on the river if you miss?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Good post.

All of those hands I likey pretty much. not sure about the turn with 56cc but w/e if you're going to get there easy game.

The A2 hand I'm fine with flop/turn play. river is yucky but I don't fault a cawl with the way the board runs out.
  • edited July 2010
    I played with you for the first time the other night I think.

You were raising 3/4 of hands pre I think.

The only time I decided to 3-bet you, you fired in a 4-bet.

Not sure if you'll remember this hand but I just about jammed with 2s4s. Ended up making a fishy call and c/folding flop haha I felt like sticking a beat on somebody!
  • edited July 2010
    you played these hand good imo even like the Ace high call on the busted flush draw, a good question was asked that do you 3 barrel the river if you miss your hands  you say you lose big too so im thinking that you do, post some hands that you lose
  • edited July 2010

To the origional poster personally myself on the A2 hand i dont make the call.

I agree it stinks of a flush draw, but because if the way the board had ran, any suited cons are likley to have hit a pair.

Ok im a little confused at why he had 83, but well thats for another discussion.

Edit: I addressed this to wrong person.

• edited July 2010
    you played these hand good imo even like the Ace high call on the busted flush draw, a good question was asked that do you 3 barrel the river if you miss your hands  you say you lose big too so im thinking that you do, post some hands that you lose
    Posted by N1CK
    1 of the 3 hands there i did lose. other 2 i give up on river in these examples if i miss. i dont really get chance to play much as i work stupid hours :-(  been playing poker for around about a year and half, ive certainly made a nice tidy profit from the game but have really suffered from tilt in the past and alot of the hands ive lost have been due to my own stupid play after some bad beat that has made me go crackers! ive built up rolls from peanuts in the past big enough for 50nl & 100nl but chucked large portions away because of my inability to control my tilt.

anyway i think ive kind of got that sorted now but because of personal circumstances ive had too withdraw cash and stuff i aint properly rolled for those levels so tend to hover round nl20/30/40. ive never really taken the game seriously before but past month or so ive decided im gonna try and have a real crack at it, but feel i could do with tightening up abit and after advice/criticism of my game (hence posting these hands)

my plan is for this time next year to be doing a dohhhhhhh - playing poker for a living/drinking beer everyday lol obviously this is gonna be difficult because of the limited time i get to play poker but i wanna have a real crack at it and if im able to build up a decent roll again im planning on taking a fairly decent chunk of time off work early next year and play poker for around about 8 hours a day 2/3 tabling (nl50/100) and see what results i get. if it all goes well then in goes the notice, if all goes bad then at least ive tryed and back to work i go!

first step is improving my game and ironing out some leaks so if ill post hands on this thread from time to time (winning and losing ones) and hopefully recieve some good constructive feedback. 

cheers for all replys 
  • edited July 2010
    I played with you for the first time the other night I think. You were raising 3/4 of hands pre I think. The only time I decided to 3-bet you, you fired in a 4-bet. Not sure if you'll remember this hand but I just about jammed with 2s4s. Ended up making a fishy call and c/folding flop haha I felt like sticking a beat on somebody!
    Posted by CLIOKID
    yeah i do remember that hand actually (aint sayin what i had :-)) and yeah i think it was the first time ive shared a table with ya. i recognised ya from the forums and remembered some of the hands u had posted or advice u had given to ppl so knew u were a good player. I had been raising alot pre and i knew eventually you would end up 3 betting me so thought id put ya to the test. shame i had to leave that table but i had to go out. I spent all that time setting up a maniac image then had to leave!!

suppose there is method in my madness then if your 3 bettin me with 24s lol
  • edited July 2010

looool I don't play for a living!!! I've never used that phrase!!!

I just don't work - and use poker money to survive!! (good job i'd built a roll over the last couple of years, or I'd be extinct after the last month or so)

Gonna try going bak to my old game today, more of a spew monkey than a calling station, so see how it goes.
  • edited July 2010
    dont like the 56cc 2barrel on that particular turn card, on brick cards i think its fine. ace high is nuts id make the call too
  • edited July 2010
    hand 1) is okay, nice bet sizing

hand 2) nice hand, like the barrel on the turn,  a Q is defo in your range, and you are bulding a pot for the times you river your flush ,nh

hand 3) you should flop on the flop, when you 2bet and get called, you have no equity in the hand, the board is very drawy to QJ with two diamonds on board, Villian could have a wide range of draws which they are never putting down and even strong two pair hands. If you are barreling the turn, you should shove all rivers that miss the obvious draws (flush and s8) which you did.

I think hand 3 was a bit too spewy and you went into "fancy play syndrome" esp for 150bb deep. I dont like the 2bet on the flop, but if you do do it and get called, I would just give up with the hand, on the turn you have 0% equity, usally the times the A hits, you get owned because they make a stright/ two pair
  • edited July 2010
    Hand 1: Noone is ever folding a K on that turn because everybody knows that ppl will barrel that card. Only reason to do is if he floats a lot with pocket pairs etc or if and only if you plan to shove any river

one barrel you make money/ 2 barrels you lose money/3 barrels you probably make money
  • edited July 2010

Think that deserves a new thread .... - or re-name this one. Might get more replies than the usual clinic-ers, v interesting questions.......