You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

new guy help pleaaaaase

edited July 2010 in Poker Chat
hello all,

i understand the concept of poker and have played online before and had to stop as loosing to much money... i like the concept of DYM but is it good food me to play, and any decent tips to stay in my bankroll would be appreacated, plus i watch on tv when i can.. still dont understand out of positon phrase - maybe someone could help.

thank you

Craig
maidstone

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Ill help as much as i can Kent lad. Although your better popping over to the clinic those guys are much better at it than me.

Ill start with positon since this was one area that you said you stuggle with.

You can break it up into free parts and even wriggle than into an order.

Early (classed as out of positon)
    Small Blind
    Big Blind
    Under the gun

Middle
    UTG +1

Late (In positon)
    Cutoff
    Dealer

Basically early positon means that there are usually always players to act behind you after the flop. Your play in these positons affect the way they play. Its easier to play loose as the last person to act, simply because you already know what everyone has done, you can choose to fold avoiding putting more money in, or take a stab at a steal.

Bankroll im terrible at so ill let of of the better players do that. I have also only covered the basics of positon i will let the better players explain in more detail.

P.S welcome to the Sky Poker forums
  • edited July 2010
    hi Kentlad-- in my opinion it is best to start on the 2.20 buy in deep stack games--- you get 5000 chips and 12 min blinds, so plenty of play for your money---- you can learn how to play proper poker in these games, as there is plenty of time for a solid patient player to shine through, and you can ride a few bad beats without going out---- the dym games look tempting, but with 5 min blinds, the lucky players win--- also the rake is hard to beat at the low stakes, especially for a beginner.

out of position means that you will be first ( or nearly first ) to act after the flop, or that you will have to act before the player that first raised the pot-- it puts you at a disadvantage because if you miss the flop and check, then the initial raiser can bet you off the pot whether or not he has hit, because you have given him information suggesting you are weak

don't hesitate to ask any question you like--we are here to help-- the poker clinic section is for strategy questions and you can post hands there and ask people how you should play them, or if you could have played them better

Try to play good value games, I think the deep stacks are good because a large part of the luck factor is taken out in these games, and good play is much more likely to win over lucky fishy type play

good luck---- floppa whoppa!!
  • edited July 2010
    STAY AWAY FROM THE CASH TABLES!!! --at least untill you are sure that you are a good player--- when you are sure that you are a good player, then you can have a proper good chance of having the discipline to STAY AWAY FROM THE CASH TABLES--LOL
  • edited July 2010
    AND STAY AWAY FROM OYNUTTER IF YOU CAN HELP IT ? - LOL
  • edited July 2010

Had my first crack at the 2.20 deepstack last night after starting on the sit & go's for a couple of months. Started OK but got in a pickle about an hour in and wound up tilting.

First important lesson - position is much more vital with 12 minute blinds and against better players than in the sit & go's. C betting out of postion with drawing hands got me in a heap of trouble last night.

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: new guy help pleaaaaase:
    Had my first crack at the 2.20 deepstack last night after starting on the sit & go's for a couple of months. Started OK but got in a pickle about an hour in and wound up tilting. First important lesson - position is much more vital with 12 minute blinds and against better players than in the sit & go's. C betting out of postion with drawing hands got me in a heap of trouble last night.
    Posted by harding10
    Yea the deepstacks are full of the better players, although i find the weaker holdings wait out for a few blind levels and then shove. this is usually where i crumble, i get frustrated and call with KJ needlessly to see 22 and miss completely
  • edited July 2010
    get on live roulette and live blackjack! epic!
  • edited July 2010
    Sod blackjack and roulette...played on both for 2 hours last. bankroll going up and down like a fiddlers elbow. Finished about 5 down at the end.
  • edited July 2010
    Sod blackjack and roulette...played on both for 2 hours last. bankroll going up and down like a fiddlers elbow. Finished about 5 down at the end.
    Posted by bobcat52
    yeh me too, lovely latvian dealer hit 20black to give me 80 quid for 2 pound stake, lovely girl!
  • edited July 2010
    Had my first crack at the 2.20 deepstack last night after starting on the sit & go's for a couple of months. Started OK but got in a pickle about an hour in and wound up tilting. First important lesson - position is much more vital with 12 minute blinds and against better players than in the sit & go's. C betting out of postion with drawing hands got me in a heap of trouble last night.
    Posted by harding10
    Nice one harding, every lesson learnt in poker is worth a lot more than 2.20 in the long run mate-- so well done you innit
  • edited July 2010
    you can c bet out of position with a drawing hand, but a lot depends on how many players are left in the pot--people can afford to call with draws, so you have to think about pot control when you c bet-- it can cost you a lot to see the river if you have built the pot too big--- In the deep stacks, you can wait untill you are more or less sure you are ahead before you build the pot, so lesson 2 is patience and pot control

Every 2.20 is money well spent in the deepies---innit
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: new guy help pleaaaaase : Nice one harding, every lesson learnt in poker is worth a lot more than 2.20 in the long run mate-- so well done you innit
    Posted by oynutter
    Had a look back through last nights hands, and once it had started going wrong some of the mistakes were awful. Things I really thought I'd ironed out of my game came flying back in. Embarrassing in the end.

But I'm going to stick at deeper tournaments and try to improve whilst I've got a bit of a roll to play with rather than go back to DYM's.
  • edited July 2010
    listen to harvey, he will help you
  • edited July 2010
    Probably went too tight tonight after last nights debacle. Finished 43rd in the TOTTY, but hardly got anything to play with all evening. Couple of good hands early on then went dead.
  • edited July 2010
  • edited July 2010
    Posted by oynutter
    I start work at 4, it's Zebedee time for me. Cheers.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to new guy help pleaaaaase:
    hello all, i understand the concept of poker and have played online before and had to stop as loosing to much money... i like the concept of DYM but is it good food me to play, and any decent tips to stay in my bankroll would be appreacated, plus i watch on tv when i can.. still dont understand out of positon phrase - maybe someone could help. thank you Craig maidstone
    Posted by KentLad
    This chart clearly illustrates the various positions at the table. Onces the image has been approved by Sky you will be able to see them at a glance.

• edited July 2010
    Ithatn Response to Re: new guy help pleaaaaase:
    STAY AWAY FROM THE CASH TABLES!!! --at least untill you are sure that you are a good player--- when you are sure that you are a good player, then you can have a proper good chance of having the discipline to STAY AWAY FROM THE CASH TABLES--LOL
    Posted by oynutter
    That is probrably the most apt statement to a new player I have ever heard.I think i'm an ok player and do ok at MTT's and would say i have a fair bit of discipline.I however get my rear end handed to me on a plate practically every time i play cash tables.
    Play MTT, play cash, DO NOT PLAY BOTH.

Playing cash games is exciting but it's never FUN......... now buying shoe's with your husbands credit card that's FUN:) 
  • edited July 2010
    thank you all so much for your help, played a few bits and the understanding the positon really does help and now i understand why the pundits seem to go on about it alot, im focusing on STT atm as the thort of a mtt were all the players are alot better scares me... thank you all

Craig
  • edited July 2010
    Get ure backside in a £2.20 deepy 12min blinds and 5000 starting stack.You will not find a better format for these stakes anywhere else.This is how i learned to play the game when i came on here a year ago.Gl m8 dav