You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bounty Hunter - Loose or Tight?

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
What do you think is the best way to approach bounty hunter?

Longer term what is the most successful strategy?

Whats more profitable playing for bounty's or laddering?

Over to you....

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Thanks Aussie.........

But seriously - players are so loose early on in particular, and when someone is short stacked the other players on the table are like a pack of wolves!!!

Is it a case of going for the bounties and varying your normal game? or playing a solid game and resisting the temptation to gamble?
  • edited July 2010
    I think you play basically as usual. Don't throw chips away just because there is a bounty at stake. However, be aware that if there is a small stack all in UTG and you are next to act, if you just call, you are likely to face a re-raise behind, so play accordingly.
  • edited July 2010
    Picking up bounties early on can mean you make a profit but you can also become a casualty. If you are lucky enough to make the final stages the bounties you have already won become less important as any players you eliminate at this stage will have large bounties on their heads which far outweigh the earlier gains.

In the 12k BH I had only taken 3 bounties by the time we reached the FT. I was fortunate enough to win the tournament and finish with the second highest bounty prizes (plus the prizemoney) because I did most of the damage at the final table and picked up the big ones.

My advice would be not to have a specific plan but to take it as it comes and play your best game.
  • edited July 2010
    Cheers guys both interesting views.

luvBWFC - You are not wrong mate. Having said that I have shoved in the past in that position to isolate and run into monster hands behind me!! Oooops!

Elsadog - Thats a very interesting point and it makes sense. 

The problem is, particularly early on, that players around you are so so loose. Last week I saw some of the most ridiculous shoves by one guy. He was literally shoving with any 2 and it was really hard to play against. If you pick up a premium hand then its slightly easier but you still do not want to be facing a shove if you are raising with AQ AJ. Your crippled by AK and racing vs a pair but a lot of these players are shoving with rag aces, suited cards etc etc. 

The skill i suppose is identifying the loose players and getting them to pay you off when you have the goods.

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Bounty Hunter - Loose or Tight?:
    Picking up bounties early on can mean you make a profit but you can also become a casualty. If you are lucky enough to make the final stages the bounties you have already won become less important as any players you eliminate at this stage will have large bounties on their heads which far outweigh the earlier gains. In the 12k BH I had only taken 3 bounties by the time we reached the FT. I was fortunate enough to win the tournament and finish with the second highest bounty prizes (plus the prizemoney) because I did most of the damage at the final table and picked up the big ones. My advice would be not to have a specific plan but to take it as it comes and play your best game.
    Posted by elsadog
    How much did you win for this? I regularly make the money in these without taking out more than 2 or 3 players. Though my highest win in BH is a modest circa £90, i've also played with the idea of going for bounties early on but haven't really tried it.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Bounty Hunter - Loose or Tight? : How much did you win for this? I regularly make the money in these without taking out more than 2 or 3 players. Though my highest win in BH is a modest circa £90, i've also played with the idea of going for bounties early on but haven't really tried it.
    Posted by FILIPSEBO
    I honestly can't remember, but I remember it made my wife very happy for about 4 shopping trips.
  • edited July 2010
    Cheers guys both interesting views. luvBWFC - You are not wrong mate. Having said that I have shoved in the past in that position to isolate and run into monster hands behind me!! Oooops! Elsadog - Thats a very interesting point and it makes sense.  The problem is, particularly early on, that players around you are so so loose. Last week I saw some of the most ridiculous shoves by one guy. He was literally shoving with any 2 and it was really hard to play against. If you pick up a premium hand then its slightly easier but you still do not want to be facing a shove if you are raising with AQ AJ. Your crippled by AK and racing vs a pair but a lot of these players are shoving with rag aces, suited cards etc etc.  The skill i suppose is identifying the loose players and getting them to pay you off when you have the goods.  
    Posted by Small_Dog
    In the early stages when you are sat with £10 on your head and the guy next to you has £40 on his head this can seem that you are falling behind. The thing is these numbers are small compared to the latter stages. Let the loose players fight it out early on and make your moves with position and strength. Most of the early leaders will freeze once they have a stack and some bounties (they will go into protection mode) and that is the time for you to get active.
  • edited July 2010
    in the 12k bh i think you are looking at £1500 for first place plus £500 roughly in bounties so circa £2k for the win

elsa - do you avoid getting involved early on in the bh or play aggressively?

I made it to the last 10 players without picking up a single bounty recently which i was really pleased with, and then i got paid about £20-30!!! That hurt!!! This is one of the reasons I started this thread. 
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Bounty Hunter - Loose or Tight? : I honestly can't remember, but I remember it made my wife very happy for about 4 shopping trips.
    Posted by elsadog
    Thanks Elsa - thats great advice
  • edited July 2010
    in the 12k bh i think you are looking at £1500 for first place plus £500 roughly in bounties so circa £2k for the win elsa - do you avoid getting involved early on in the bh or play aggressively? I made it to the last 10 players without picking up a single bounty recently which i was really pleased with, and then i got paid about £20-30!!! That hurt!!! This is one of the reasons I started this thread. 
    Posted by Small_Dog
    I avoid having any sort of game plan. I don't turn away opportunities but I don't go looking for them early on. Finishing 10th is great. It may have been £30 but if you'd taken it all the way you would have scooped big. The guys who had £50 in bounties and exited early may never see a win with their loose game. Remember you can't and won't win them all but if you consistently get to the final stages you will win some, and that's where the big money is.

What's the betting I go out in the first 10 minutes tonight after writing that :o)
  • edited July 2010
    Last week was my 1st real crack at BH. i played as i would in any multi, i found myself lagging behind in the later stages on about 25,000, but that soon changed and i was sat on 110,000 chips with £50 worth of knockouts, and i didnt ko any1 for the 1st hour, big bountys later is where the money is.
    Also i got all my chips in with QQ on a 3910 board, got called pot was 210,000 chips with 14 left, player had J10 and spiked another 10 on the turn, so my theory is forget about bounties, i would have been chip leader with 13 left if my hand had held and i didnt target any bounties.
  • edited July 2010
    hahaha i will keep my fingers crossed for you pal!

im going to be mega tight first 10 as well haha
  • edited July 2010
    thanks BB, good luck tonight if you are playing
  • edited July 2010
  • edited July 2010
    dont get toooo involved early doors and as youve recognised a shorty gets about 10 callers.Dont know what ure usual style is but if ure successful just play ure usual game.That said at about 8.02 2nite i prob go all-in ;o) dav
  • edited July 2010
    good luck dav
    Posted by Small_Dog
    TY m8y,well got in via sat and made top 60 so at least i got a profit.Gl dav
  • edited July 2010
    hey small dog... when i knocked you out of the £22 bh what did you type?  it was censored by four asterisks.  part of your question on this thread might have asked about being a good loser on here. not good small dog.
    Posted by aussie09
    Not a gd post mate this is it? no naming/shaming on the forum remember? another player has just been slated by loadsa players for naming on a thread in poker strategy.Are you gonna get the same treatment as well now?
  • edited July 2010
    PLAY TIGHT EARLY is your best bet.

Play AA. KK QQ & AK all in pre-flop and fold everything else.

Slow play most pairs - and if you hit on the flop then take advantage, if you don't hit then fold to any raise.

Always fold to a raise unless you have a Pocket Pair such as QQ, KK, AA. (Then Shove)

ASK YOURSELF:
    Why should you take note of my reply?

Answer: Because I have taken down Many Bounty Hunters on sky, I have also Taken down the £1500.00. Taking a prize of over £300.00 and Head prizes of over £200.00. I have also won over £250.00 in head prizes 2 days later and I didn't even make the prize money.

TIP 1. Play Tight - Shove with QQ, KK, AA, AK
    TIP 2. Slow Play Lower Pocket Pairs, If you hit on the flop or get a cheap Turn then, Shove, If you Don't then, Fold

There are many hands in-between that can make quite a difference - but stick to the basics and you won't go far wrong.

Tip 3. Don't cry if your QQ, KK. AA or AK gets busted though - this is a Bounty Hunter, we need people to call our All-In when we have these types of hands and it will pay off in the long run.

And Yes - If a player is short stacked (say 250 chips) and shoves all in - I am deffo gonna call with anything. even with my 2, 6 off - if you don't hit you can always fold. It's deffo worth the risk for a £4.50 - £7.50 Bounty and my 2,6 off has held up on a few occasions in a BH

Good Luck
    Happy Hunting.
  • edited July 2010
    In response to the comment from aussie (I cannot actually see it apart from the quotation in Dav's post) - I shoved on you with AQ and you called off your tournament with A8 off pre flop. You spiked your 8 so fair play and I said it was a joke. It is one of those things and I will win that race more often than not.

As for you Aussie - you seem to have some sort of problem. You responded sarcastically to the original post I made on here and now make another post just looking for confrontation. Get a life mate.

p.s. WELL PLAYED DAV FOR YOUR CASH
  • edited July 2010
    thanks poker trev
  • edited July 2010
    In response to the comment from aussie (I cannot actually see it apart from the quotation in Dav's post) - I shoved on you with AQ and you called off your tournament with A8 off pre flop. You spiked your 8 so fair play and I said it was a joke. It is one of those things and I will win that race more often than not. As for you Aussie - you seem to have some sort of problem. You responded sarcastically to the original post I made on here and now make another post just looking for confrontation. Get a life mate. p.s. WELL PLAYED DAV FOR YOUR CASH
    Posted by Small_Dog
    with all the advice you sought you reraised me on your first hand and shoved.  unlucky to lose though.  but all that aside, the point is simple.  avoid being abusive in the chatbox,  it doesn't make you look a nice guy.  maybe take defeat with more grace. 

if you want to continue this, with or without an apology, then we can talk privately.

• edited July 2010
    In response to the comment from aussie (I cannot actually see it apart from the quotation in Dav's post) - I shoved on you with AQ and you called off your tournament with A8 off pre flop. You spiked your 8 so fair play and I said it was a joke. It is one of those things and I will win that race more often than not. As for you Aussie - you seem to have some sort of problem. You responded sarcastically to the original post I made on here and now make another post just looking for confrontation. Get a life mate. p.s. WELL PLAYED DAV FOR YOUR CASH
    Posted by Small_Dog
    No need to continue aussie, I just feel we have a different idea of what "abuse" is.
  • edited July 2010

it's sufficient that skypoker knows as whatever you typed was automatically replaced by four asterisks.  shall we call this the end of the debate small dog?