You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can i call? Should i call?

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
chipsta Small blind  10.00 10.00 1990.00
The_Don90 Big blind  20.00 30.00 1980.00
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

maxwbrown Fold     
lucky77777 Fold     
1forderoad Fold     
xCall  20.00 50.00 1980.00
chipsta Fold     
The_Don90 Raise  80.00 130.00 1900.00
xCall  80.00 210.00 1900.00
Flop

The_Don90 Bet  210.00 420.00 1690.00
xCall  210.00 630.00 1690.00
Turn

The_Don90 Bet  630.00 1260.00 1060.00
xCall  630.00 1890.00 1060.00
River

• A

The_Don90 Check     
xAll-in  1060.00 2950.00 0.00
Ok i will admit now, i made the call here. I wont say what he had, however should i be making this call ?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    raise more pre, flop bet is fine, hope for a check down once that turn hits

as played calling that river is ridic, what did u put him on that u beat?
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Can i call? Should i call?:
    raise more pre, flop bet is fine, hope for a check down once that turn hits as played calling that river is ridic, what did u put him on that u beat?
    Posted by lynx3ffect
    I actually called on just a gut feeling and on the sence of "stuff it, if you called down with A high so be it"

I will tell what he had after but once i get a few more responces.
  • edited July 2010
    you should assume his limp/calling range in position to a small raise pre is pretty wide, so all PPs, suited conns raggy aces, and all broadways

when he calls that flop you should narrow his range further, as with turn

he hasnt called 2 streets with A high unless it was diamonds or A7 maybe

• edited July 2010
    jam river as a bluff would be epic.

as played spots like this is when having player notes come in handy.
  • edited July 2010
    Or u cud forget all of the above, go with ur instincts, snap call, see his KQ of hearts and scoop the pot.

These players r soooooooo easy to bluff unless u r me, then they just call.

Logical thinking doesnt work on sky in the lower mid stakes and micros.

Im gonna multi account
  • edited July 2010
    I really cant imagine you winning here? QTdd?
  • edited July 2010
    I really cant imagine you winning here? QTdd?
    Posted by beaneh
    DoHHHHH named his had KQ hearts, i told him before when he asked.

So i won the had and doubled up first hand.
  • edited July 2010
    Or u cud forget all of the above, go with ur instincts, snap call, see his KQ of hearts and scoop the pot. These players r soooooooo easy to bluff unless u r me, then they just call. Logical thinking doesnt work on sky in the lower mid stakes and micros. Im gonna multi account
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    lol your out of control
  • edited July 2010
    hahahaaaaaa gr8 stuff - no need to bust me don just post the result!! :)

Roayh in the next at Goodwood - if it places, I can take the weekend off work!

GET ON IT !!
  • edited July 2010
    good luck DoHHHHHH

sorry i was just getting revenge haha
  • edited July 2010
    My thoughts fwiw

Interesting Hand. Would be useful to know a bit more about the situation, this is a tournament, what are the stakes, how quickly to the blinds go up? s it a DYM sit n go?

Preflop it all looks good. You have a monster and one limper ahead of you. I would make this a nice round 100 (this is 4xBB + 1BB per limper). Your 80 is fine though. You get one caller which is ideal.

Assuming the caller is a good player, he ia likely to have a small or mid pair which has gone set mining, or a suited ace/suited connectors. He could alo have to big unpaied cards (Like KQ).

The flop is a bit wet, straight draws and flush draws all over the place. I like your pot sized bet here, normally I would say bet slightly smaller but you need to price out the draws. To be honest I don't love him calling, I would have been quite happy to take this on the flop (or shove if he raised).

I still don't know what he has of course but his range is probably something like, Flush draws (Ax of diamonds is possible), maybe sraight draws like 78. It does not look too likely he has made a set as I think he should raise on that board, we will say a set is a very small part of his range. An overpair to the board you beat is also in this range. I am liking my hand at the moment as it seems the only thing that beats me is a set and I don't think it is likely he has a set and he is not playing it like a set. I would also expect massive combo draw to raise here.

I hate the turn card though. It completes straight draws, if somebody called with an gutshot they probably just got there. We now have a marginal hand in a large pot. I would check here with the intention of calling a small bet and folding to a bigger bet, as I don't want to have to call a shove on the river and if I call a big bet on the turn I have to call the river shove. I probably chek the turn and fold to his bet.

As Played you bet the pot and he calls. He could still have a flush draw but if he does it is a bad call. A set might call but we don't think he has a set. A straight should shove at this point. As played I still think he might have that flush draw. I am going to say his range is:-

Flush Draw (Ax included)
    Overpair
    Set
    Straight

The river makes the situation worse Ax now beats us. I honestly can't call here, we are praying he is shoving a busted flush draw, which is not impossible but you have enough chips to fold. All we beat is the flush draw,it is in his range bu on tha board I think he has a straight. Eve if he has turned a weaker hand (than the straight) into a bluff, we still don't beat it. We are not getting the price to call here and I am pretty sure ICM says fold in a DYM.

As played fold the river.
  • edited July 2010
    My thoughts fwiw Interesting Hand. Would be useful to know a bit more about the situation, this is a tournament, what are the stakes, how quickly to the blinds go up? s it a DYM sit n go? Preflop it all looks good. You have a monster and one limper ahead of you. I would make this a nice round 100 (this is 4xBB + 1BB per limper). Your 80 is fine though. You get one caller which is ideal. Assuming the caller is a good player, he ia likely to have a small or mid pair which has gone set mining, or a suited ace/suited connectors. He could alo have to big unpaied cards (Like KQ). The flop is a bit wet, straight draws and flush draws all over the place. I like your pot sized bet here, normally I would say bet slightly smaller but you need to price out the draws. To be honest I don't love him calling, I would have been quite happy to take this on the flop (or shove if he raised). I still don't know what he has of course but his range is probably something like, Flush draws (Ax of diamonds is possible), maybe sraight draws like 78. It does not look too likely he has made a set as I think he should raise on that board, we will say a set is a very small part of his range. An overpair to the board you beat is also in this range. I am liking my hand at the moment as it seems the only thing that beats me is a set and I don't think it is likely he has a set and he is not playing it like a set. I would also expect massive combo draw to raise here. I hate the turn card though. It completes straight draws, if somebody called with an gutshot they probably just got there. We now have a marginal hand in a large pot. I would check here with the intention of calling a small bet and folding to a bigger bet, as I don't want to have to call a shove on the river and if I call a big bet on the turn I have to call the river shove. I probably chek the turn and fold to his bet. As Played you bet the pot and he calls. He could still have a flush draw but if he does it is a bad call. A set might call but we don't think he has a set. A straight should shove at this point. As played I still think he might have that flush draw. I am going to say his range is:- Flush Draw (Ax included) Overpair Set Straight The river makes the situation worse Ax now beats us. I honestly can't call here, we are praying he is shoving a busted flush draw, which is not impossible but you have enough chips to fold. All we beat is the flush draw,it is in his range bu on tha board I think he has a straight. Eve if he has turned a weaker hand (than the straight) into a bluff, we still don't beat it. We are not getting the price to call here and I am pretty sure ICM says fold in a DYM. As played fold the river.
    Posted by AArodAA
    Thanks for the responce.

The hand was the very first hand of a DYM £3 entry, i had no previous reads on my opponent.

On the river i felt pot commited and that is partly why i made the call, also helping but with the gut feeling that i was ahead was just too much, it screamed of a missed flush draw to me.

Once the cards where shown it showed i was a country mile ahead.