You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

erm.. does my opponent have Ace?

edited July 2010 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
twister990 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.42
JACK2001 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £0.86
  Your hole cards

mcfc123 Fold     
The_Don90 Raise  £0.32 £0.38 £1.34
xCall  £0.32 £0.70 £1.81
xCall  £0.30 £1.00 £1.12
xCall  £0.28 £1.28 £0.58
Flop

• A

xCheck     
xCheck     
The_Don90 Check     
xCheck     
Turn

xCheck     
xCheck     
The_Don90 All-in  £1.34 £2.62 £0.00
xFold     
 Fold     
xAll-in  £0.58 £3.20 £0.00
The_Don90 Unmatched bet  £0.76 £2.44 £0.76
x Show
  • A

The_Don90 Show

River

xWin Two Pairs, Aces and 4s £2.26  £2.26
Indeed but can i avoid this without playing it any other way

Hey all

Just a quick note, I have edited out the plyers name.

many thanks

Sky Mod

Comments

• edited July 2010
     why are you checking the  flop, then jamming the turn? To me it looks like you had no idea were you was in the hand come the turn , so just clicked the all in button.

top up after you drop under 95bb.
  • edited July 2010

Bet about 34p on the flop, if you get any callers c/f turn if you get a raise fold

• edited July 2010
    In Response to erm.. does my opponent have Ace?:
    Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance twister990 Small blind £0.02 £0.02 £1.42 JACK2001 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £0.86   Your hole cards 10 10       mcfc123 Fold         The_Don90 Raise   £0.32 £0.38 £1.34 geeforce Call   £0.32 £0.70 £1.81 twister990 Call   £0.30 £1.00 £1.12 JACK2001 Call   £0.28 £1.28 £0.58 Flop     6 4 A       twister990 Check         JACK2001 Check         The_Don90 Check         geeforce Check         Turn     3       twister990 Check         JACK2001 Check         The_Don90 All-in   £1.34 £2.62 £0.00 geeforce Fold         twister990 Fold         JACK2001 All-in   £0.58 £3.20 £0.00 The_Don90 Unmatched bet   £0.76 £2.44 £0.76 JACK2001 Show A 8       The_Don90 Show 10 10       River     4       JACK2001 Win Two Pairs, Aces and 4s £2.26   £2.26 Indeed but can i avoid this without playing it any other way
    Posted by The_Don90
    lol,surely if you dont play it any other way then it will be played in exactly the same way,therefore the answer must be no.
  • edited July 2010
    ok lets look at this step by step
    1: you all have under 50 big blinds   pretty standard
    2: you make it 8xbb utg+1              pretty standard
    3: you get 3 callers                         pretty standard
    4: you check the flop                       pretty standard
    5: everyone else checks                   pretty standard
    6: close your eyes and shove turn     pretty standard
    7: you get called by better hand        pretty standard
    8: you lose all your money                pretty standard
    9: you post this garbage here            pretty standard

after we look at my step by step breakdown i think its safe to say that this thread is a complete waste of time (PRETTY STANDARD)
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: erm.. does my opponent have Ace?:
    ok lets look at this step by step 1: you all have under 50 big blinds   pretty standard 2: you make it 8xbb utg+1              pretty standard 3: you get 3 callers                         pretty standard 4: you check the flop                       pretty standard 5: everyone else checks                   pretty standard 6: close your eyes and shove turn     pretty standard 7: you get called by better hand        pretty standard 8: you lose all your money                pretty standard 9: you post this garbage here            pretty standard after we look at my step by step breakdown i think its safe to say that this thread is a complete waste of time (PRETTY STANDARD)
    Posted by N1CK
    This clinic will be buzzing in no time with people like you here Nicky lad.

I bet people are reading this and can't post a hand soon enough. You must have alot of time on your hands to post this and ridicule a half stacker nl4 player. I bet you felt right good.

"You're a sadddddddddd, strange little man! And you have my pity!!"

• edited July 2010

The fact that you raise so big and get 3 callers means that the chances of one of them not having an ace is small imo. But none of them have to have an ace...

So you played it correct really as a small bet on the flop wouldn't really tell you anything as people fish for anything.

When it checks round on flop, there is more chance of you being ahead, so a bet here is fine, and it has to commit your stack, with the size of the pot..

• edited July 2010
    You have to sit with 100 big blinds, this allows you to make a bet and still be able to fold. Getting 3 callers is very bad for you as you want it heads up in position ideally. Often when I played at this level I noticed if a player actually hit their hand they would never bet it, but if someone bet they'd then call off, so in your spot although it sounds very weak, your better off trying to just check it down and see if your hand's good. At least you got called by an even shorter stack than yourself lol.

Finally you should remove villain's name.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: erm.. does my opponent have Ace? : This clinic will be buzzing in no time with people like you here Nicky lad. I bet people are reading this and can't post a hand soon enough. You must have alot of time on your hands to post this and ridicule a half stacker nl4 player. I bet you felt right good. "You're a sadddddddddd, strange little man! And you have my pity!!"
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    well thanks for the pity its much appreciated xx
  • edited July 2010
      Don 2 words scream out with this hand. Table selection.  If you look through it you have an opponent who is willing to call an over raise preflop with a bad Ace for a third of his stack and then put the rest of his stack in with top pair bad kicker. It is wonderful playing against these players because they will pay you off time and time again because they overrate very marginal holdings.When playing against these players you just need to ge playing closer to the nuts and not just hoping that your still ahead.

I will not go into the betting side of the hand because there are better people to do this but purely from the opponent aspect this is a loose opponent who will pay you off big time provided you dont bluff into him.
  • edited July 2010
    You have to sit with 100 big blinds, this allows you to make a bet and still be able to fold. Getting 3 callers is very bad for you as you want it heads up in position ideally. Often when I played at this level I noticed if a player actually hit their hand they would never bet it, but if someone bet they'd then call off, so in your spot although it sounds very weak, your better off trying to just check it down and see if you hand's good. At least you got called by an even shorter stack than yourself lol. Finally you should remove villain's name.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Excellent Post

And after reading this i have changed my mind, i agree that there is no real point betting on the turn vs these opponants and the stack sizes.

• edited July 2010

Don mate,

Think its all been said, such a large pf raise called by 3 players.  One of them is likely to have an ace and you know that people will be calling all the way down the streets with a pair of aces at this level so shove on the turn was not good imo.

Main thing is why are you sat without a full stack.  I know sometimes you lose a hand and don't get time to reload but nearly every hand you post you are shortstacked.

• edited July 2010
    Don mate, Think its all been said, such a large pf raise called by 3 players.  One of them is likely to have an ace and you know that people will be calling all the way down the streets with a pair of aces at this level so shove on the turn was not good imo. Main thing is why are you sat without a full stack.  I know sometimes you lose a hand and don't get time to reload but nearly every hand you post you are shortstacked.
    Posted by Patching99
    The short stacked thing.

I learnt to play poker by learning tournaments, as a result until i went onto cash to win i rarley seen 100BB if at all after the first 3 or 4 blind levels.

Anyways, i decided i thought id give cash a try short handed i thought i played better, however after some trial and error i have to agree for cash 100BB are best, expessially when guys will call of with nearly anything. Id worked my way up in tournaments, but because im just learning cash im finding going back to the basics very frustrating.