You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Making Player Notes?

edited June 2009 in Poker Chat

Hi all, I have only been playing poker for about a year, and only recently starting to take it more seriously.
I am interested to hear anybodies views on what sort of notes i should be recording about other players.
Obviously in smaller tournies, D or N's and six seaters etc, its easy enough to make mental notes on bad moves and bad players but in larger tournies and cash games it can be hard to remember all the details.
So if anybody has any useful pointers i would be interested to hear them.
Thanks for your time.

HORRORSHOW

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I think it's worth being a little careful with notes; just because someone does something once, it doesn't mean that he generally does this. However, after a while you do see trends.

For example: I know one player who always defends the big blind, another who bluffs all-in on the river when the flush draw doesn't come, another who limps with aces, another who shoves pre-flop on any pair bigger than 8's, yet limps with any pair lower, etc. etc...

Sometimes though, people completely change their habits. One well-known player on here has been playing so tight recently that the pips squeak. For the last two years he was a habitual bluffer, so beware!
  • edited June 2009

I think the best way to manage your notes is to put the date next to the notes which you write so you can always be aware of how a player acted but can notice over a period of time if they change their style.

• edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Making Player Notes?:
    I think the best way to manage your notes is to put the date next to the notes which you write so you can always be aware of how a player acted but can notice over a period of time if they change their style.
    Posted by kirstii
    Excellent point. For some reason people definitely do change: they go on tilt for months on end, or suddenly tighten up for no apparent reason.
    Maybe they've recently read Sklansky and try to play like him!
  • edited June 2009
    My favourite note is 'owes me money' lol. I type it everytime a player donks on me - so I know next time I come across him that I want to get him - or he may want to get me if we've had a verbal after the previous confrontation ;)