You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Are you a typical Poker Player?

edited July 2010 in Poker Chat
Hello guys and gals! 

Just watching Tikay's interview with the lovely Kara at the WSOP and towards the end she speaks very fondly of the love of her life... he's a Boxer dog called 'Maybe'  

As a fellow dog lover (mine's a Border called 'Buckley') I got to thinking.... I wonder if your typical Poker player is a pet owner?  (it's a reasonably dull day ahead of my stint on mastercash later!) 

A little research later via the university of online poker and the 'typical' Poker player makes for interesting reading...

He's male.  
Age 40-49.  
He's been to college.  
He's married but has no children.  
He plays for 'the skill and the strategy'

Sadly they didn't have a 'pet owner' category so I'm none the wiser! but since this was a study conducted in the US I wonder how we as a community at Sky Poker compare...

I for one fall into just one of those categories (well aware I'm leaving this wide open!!!) How about you!?

Sarah xx

Comments

• edited July 2010

Hi LML.

Me?

Let's take a look, then.

He's male.  Tick

Age 40-49.  Tick

He's been to college. Pass.

He's married but has no children.  Pass.

He plays for 'the skill and the strategy'. Pass.

See you tonight, looking forward to it.

x
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Are you a typical Poker Player?:
    Hi LML. Me? I have a cat - Angell, so do I count? Let's take a look, then. He's male.   Tick Age 40-49.   Tick He's been to college.  Pass. He's married but has no children.   Pass. He plays for 'the skill and the strategy'. Pass. See you tonight, looking forward to it. x
    Posted by Tikay10
    Just this lol, do u feel loved sarah?
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Are you a typical Poker Player?:
    Hello guys and gals!  Just watching Tikay's interview with the lovely Kara at the WSOP and towards the end she speaks very fondly of the love of her life... he's a Boxer dog called 'Maybe'   As a fellow dog lover (mine's a Border called 'Buckley') I got to thinking.... I wonder if your typical Poker player is a pet owner?  (it's a reasonably dull day ahead of my stint on mastercash later!)  A little research later via the university of online poker and the 'typical' Poker player makes for interesting reading... He's male.   Age 40-49.   He's been to college.   He's married but has no children.   He plays for 'the skill and the strategy' Sadly they didn't have a 'pet owner' category so I'm none the wiser! but since this was a study conducted in the US I wonder how we as a community at Sky Poker compare... I for one fall into just one of those categories (well aware I'm leaving this wide open!!!) How about you!? Sarah xx
    Posted by Sarah_C
    I had a boxer once, i bought him as a guard dog, but i got rid of him because he was rubbish! every time the doorbell rang, he just went and sat in the corner!!
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Are you a typical Poker Player? : I had a boxer once, i bought him as a guard dog, but i got rid of him because he was rubbish! every time the doorbell rang, he just went and sat in the corner!!
    Posted by loonytoons

HAHAHAHA, that has made me laugh, nice1
  • edited July 2010
    I tick all the boxes ( I may have misread the age bit ) and I have pets.

3 dogs
    cat
    ferret (Brian)
    2 rabbits (Brian really likes them)
    5 chickens (Brian really likes them too)
    2 horses (Mrs Woof loves them - I hate them/they hate me)
    6 huge goldfish (the cat loves them)
    and a visiting hedgehog and squirrel (the squirrell hates the cat)

To top it all we often have up to 6 kids staying with us. Concentrating on poker can be difficult at times.
  • edited July 2010
    Biggest laugh so far's from Tikay! 

40-49 Tick! ;-) xxx
  • edited July 2010
    Male - tick

Age - Fail little too young

College - Could be an arguement dropped out 3 times

Status - Fail, single with no kids.

Playing reason - Hmmm suppose, but different reasons tooo. I like busting people more.

So i guess im very much NOT a typical player
  • edited July 2010

He's male.  Defo
    Age 40-49.  29 (ish)....
    He's been to college.  Currently attending the University of Life
    He's married but has no children.  Never married but children yes
    He plays for 'the skill and the strategy' I play for the bad beats, outdraws and coolers. Don't we all?

As for pets, I am currently dog sitting for my sister who has an Alsatian. His name is 'MAX' which happens to be the same name as my son. So when I shout today, I have two pairs of eyes looking at me trying to figure out who is in the wrong. LOL.
  • edited July 2010

He's male.                                                               tick
    Age 40-49.                                                             pass
    He's been to college.                                           tick
    He's married but has no children.                    2 kids
    He plays for 'the skill and the strategy'         pass
    Former pet owner                                                tick
     Where is the high cheekbones question? ;)
  • edited July 2010
    Biggest laugh so far's from Tikay!  40-49 Tick! ;-) xxx
    Posted by Sarah_C
    Hush you, or tonight's Show might get a tad fractious....;)

xx
  • edited July 2010
      See if I get this  right  Sarah ?

He's male. -----  yes
    Age 40-49.  -----  no 
    He's been to college ----- university of life
    He's married but has no children.  -----no and yes
    He plays for 'the skill and the strategy' ----- no - for money and social
  • edited July 2010
    He's male.  Last time i checked i was
    Age 40-49.  No im 26 :)
    He's been to college.  That is true
    He's married but has no children.  Not married but i am childless, i hope :S
    He plays for 'the skill and the strategy' I play to win, using skill a strategy

I also have 1 dog and 1 cat, my dog is slightly smaller thought, hes a scottish terrier
  • edited July 2010
    He's male.  NO
    Age 40-49.  NO younger
    He's been to college.  YEP
    He's married but has no children.  MARRIED 3 KIDS
    He plays for 'the skill and the strategy' YEP & THE MOOLA!

PETS...Cat (Pilchard) Doberman (Dobby) Golden Retriever (Buddy)....and to top it off I also walk dogs and look after animals for a living! so the pet thing deffo needs to be added! lol
  • edited July 2010

going down the list     yes

yes
                                   no
                                   no 1  lad
                                   no
                                   yes
                                   2 dogs   westie  and the other a tiny toy poodle both my partners but having shall we say colourful characters as mates  the poodle goes down a treat  LOL

• edited July 2010
    i only read the title " are you a typical poker player"

No, because I win.
  • edited July 2010
    He's male.  Last I checked, that's a yes.
    Age 40-49.  Not unless I've missed a dozen or more birthdays (fairly possible, actually). 25.
    He's been to college.  Check. Whether I did any good or not is another matter.
    He's married but has no children.  Can I be married to a non-organic form, such as my music? If so, check. No kids that I'm aware of. :)
    He plays for 'the skill and the strategy'  I do love psychology and maths, so I suppose I do. Doesn't mean I'm getting anywhere with it. :)
  • edited July 2010
    Male
    Mid 40's
    Been to college
    3 children
    Play because I wanted to see if I could.

Animals - 160 chickens, 120 cattle, 33 sheep, 8 pigs, 4 ducks, 1 Labrador and a Goldfish.
  • edited July 2010
    hi all 1st post

male  yes
    been to college no but school was approved does that count
    age 40-49 way past that
    married 3 kids
    plays for skill and strategy haven't worked that out yet
    pets no unless you count head lice

• edited July 2010
    Hi Sarah,

Yes i'm male(i just checked)
    Yes i went to college to get "professional" qualifications
    Yes i'm in that age range BOOHOO
    Yes and No, i'm married but have 2 daughters(1 called Sarah as well)
    No i play because i have a sadistic love of donating my money to others
    No i don't have a dog anymore, my baby(Sonny, a lovely short legged Labrador) died with brain tumours.

PS i can't work out which one you fulfill, but i am CERTAIN your not male CORRRRR.
    Sorry Sarah i've taken my medication and calmed down lol

col
  • edited July 2010
    He's male.  YesAge 40-49.  No younger
    He's been to college.  YesHe's married but has no children.  No
    He plays for 'the skill and the strategy' No, i play for thrills

And Lola 

• edited July 2010
    male...er..yes.
    age 40-49...yes(unforunately)
    been to college..yes
    married with no kids...not anymore(yipee) 1 daughter.
    plays for skill and stategy...sometimes, normally to survive, always to enjoy myself, and very occasionaly to win some money!
    pets...no. live in accomodation that doesn't allow them.
  • edited July 2010
    male. Last time I checked - yes

Age 40-49. Far from it

been to college. Indeed and while in college I spent most of my time playing poker with my mates

married but has no children. Neither yet

plays for 'the skill and the strategy'. Neither, I just enjoy a good old game of cards (preferably with a beer in my hand)

Pets - I have a bullmastiff who often accompanies me when I sit outside with my laptop and play, presuming the weather is good enough.
  • edited August 2010
    He's male.      Yes
    Age 40-49.      Not yet
    He's been to college.  No, got a degree while I was working though
    He's married but has no children.  Have a 9 year old son
    He plays for 'the skill and the strategy'    Skill, strategy, lol, I just like the pretty cards (inc Mandy)

Machka --- />

• edited July 2010
    He's male.   Defo Age 40-49.   29 (ish).... He's been to college.   Currently attending the University of Life He's married but has no children.   Never married but children yes He plays for 'the skill and the strategy' I play for the bad beats, outdraws and coolers. Don't we all? As for pets, I am currently dog sitting for my sister who has an Alsatian. His name is 'MAX' which happens to be the same name as my son. So when I shout today, I have two pairs of eyes looking at me trying to figure out who is in the wrong. LOL.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    I was once bit by a massive algetya called max...took a right chunk out of my ow'syerfather...I still have the teethmarks to prove it!!!!

Male = I Wish
    Age: Okay so I lied on my profile I'm now 38 OKAY!!!! ffs...
    College: Dropped out twice then completed only to go to uni and drop our there too...am currently considering studying LLB in September
    Married: No thanks
    Children: A beautiful girl aged 18
    Pets: Fat hairy long haired all black cat called Gizmo...I was there at his birth and he got stuck in the canal so is a bit thick...lovely, but thick!!!
    Poker: Because I LOVE IT!!!!!! And I want to be a pokerstar superstar obv!!!!!

x
  • edited July 2010
    He's male.   - Yes
    Age 40-49.   - No, i'm 1 year away from being permanetly miserable lol!
    He's been to college.  - Yes
    He's married but has no children.   - Marriage is for wimps and i have no children
    He plays for 'the skill and the strategy' - Let me get back to you on that one! :)