You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How do you mentally override bad luck?

edited August 2010 in Poker Chat
I tend to shrug off bad beats, and even now I'm well aware it's all cyclical and it'll turn, but over the last ~20 tournaments I've played (including satellites) I've ended up losing almost every race I've been involved in- pairs against 2 overs from both position, overpair against underpair pre-flop, spiking the set, and lockup hands like AK against AQ where they hit the Q.

This isn't a whole woe is me, I never win anything sky is rigged type post, but more a how do you cope with it- I've been shrugging it off over and over, thinking it can't last forever, but is it better to take a few days off and let it calm down a bit? I'm concerned it's affecting my game, and making me more concerned about putting my entire stack at risk- since every single time I've done it with any kind of hand it's ended up being cracked or walking into a monster.

What do you do when you suffer a major downswing, carry on as normal, change your game up, take a break? Or does it affect your game without you wanting it to?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    20 mtt/hands is not a downswing its abit of bad luck.
    A good winning player can lose/break even over 50k hands.
    keep getting your money in good and all is well in the long run.
    If you find its starting to get to you then deffo take a break for a few days.
  • edited July 2010
    Ive had alot of this recently. Add backdoor straights/flushes to that list too. Now i was never the best at dealing with bad beats, so now i just take time off.
  • edited July 2010
    Hi Deuces

I try to play through it, but cut back on playing poker, drop down levels, however, it also depends on my BR, if it starts looking too bad, I take a break from playing.
  • edited July 2010
    Just remind yourself that clusters of anything are perfectly normal. 

Think of an imaginary bag, a bit like the bag used for the FA Cup draw, but this particular bag contains a million balls all randomly mixed up. 800,000 of the balls are white, and 200,000 balls are black. If Trevor Brooking keeps drawing balls out one by one there's no way they'll always come out as 4 whites followed by 1 black, you will get unlikely sequences all the time. For example you might get 23 whites followed by 5 blacks, then another 7 whites, then 4 blacks, then 11 whites, then 1 black etc.

Compare the bag to a poker situation where you're an 80% favourite. The bad beats are like the blacks, they are guaranteed to come along in clusters sometimes, but in the long run the whites (or the wins) will be drawn 80% of the time.

You should always be happy every single time you get your money in ahead, even when you lose, because the more often that happens the more money you will win.

The human memory is selective. Nobody remembers (or even knows) if their AA holds up say 15 times in a row, but it hurts and sticks in the memory for a long time when it loses 3 times in a row.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: How do you mentally override bad luck?:
    Hi Deuces I try to play through it, but cut back on playing poker, drop down levels, however, it also depends on my BR, if it starts looking too bad, I take a break from playing.
    Posted by acebarry10
    im in the same boat at the mo,not so much online games but live games me personaly feel that online hands always favour the lager stack so i try to avoid going heads up or any handed with a all in raise or call from chip leader cos it ends in tears ,even with the best cards ...with cards to come !!
  • edited July 2010

Do not get me started on trying to mentally override bad luck because at the minute the poker gods are being the uttermost SOAB's with me with some sick bad beats and it certainly puts me in the foulest of moods full stop (saying that though i'm never usually in a good mood anyway!).

I mainly play MTT's and i've noticed that i seem to play a lot better at the medium/bigger buy-ins then i do the lower buy-ins and if i'm on a bad run like i am at the minute i'm very reluctant to drop a level and i've found one way to usually let some steam off is to play very loose in the freeroll tourneys.

• edited July 2010
    High Strength lager does the trick for me..........
  • edited July 2010
    Hey mate, I'm a bit superstitious like that and believe that a bad run has a limited time spell and therefore can only last so long so I just sit and wait it out...browse the forums and play freerolls etc...If I start to feel like I'm running better then i'll move over to the cash tables but then again that's my preference, If I was a tourny player then I'd just move back to that.

You'll know when you're feeling better about playing this way and it'll get that sick feeling out of your gut and replace it with a WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Chin up though kidda, it's only a game afterall!!!

x
  • edited July 2010
    High Strength lager does the trick for me..........
    Posted by emilyegg
    +1, specky brew on the park bench for 3 days, come home, sh*t, shower, shave, shampoo. good as new
  • edited August 2010
    Well, i do my bank roll!!
    That is,, i always, ALWAYS,, withdraw when im on a roll and reduce my br. So when i get a bad run, like ive had for the last few months,, im not hitting my profits. So, i add to my bank roll at a reduced rate. Then when i start to play better, get the rub of the green, or get "lucky", i know im still in profit.
    I do though, mainly play MTT's and the variables are bigger than say dym's or cash play so i just take a break, reduce my stakes etc.
    My bank roll increases as im doing well, and reduces (by withdrawal) when im having a lean period.
    Does this make sense?
    So, mentally, i handle it by knowing im never playing at a loss.
  • edited August 2010
    I don't have a problem with mentally over-riding-- I just go to bed muttering things like " flopwit flapheaded dingdong fluppin twot shaped conker brained wackering quasimodos---or words to a similar effect
  • edited August 2010
    take a break  m8
  • edited August 2010
    take a break  m8
    Posted by scrumdown
     play the deepies and enjoy
  • edited August 2010
    Just remind yourself that clusters of anything are perfectly normal.  Think of an imaginary bag, a bit like the bag used for the FA Cup draw, but this particular bag contains a million balls all randomly mixed up. 800,000 of the balls are white, and 200,000 balls are black. If Trevor Brooking keeps drawing balls out one by one there's no way they'll always come out as 4 whites followed by 1 black, you will get unlikely sequences all the time. For example you might get 23 whites followed by 5 blacks, then another 7 whites, then 4 blacks, then 11 whites, then 1 black etc. Compare the bag to a poker situation where you're an 80% favourite. The bad beats are like the blacks, they are guaranteed to come along in clusters sometimes, but in the long run the whites (or the wins) will be drawn 80% of the time. You should always be happy every single time you get your money in ahead, even when you lose, because the more often that happens the more money you will win. The human memory is selective. Nobody remembers (or even knows) if their AA holds up say 15 times in a row, but it hurts and sticks in the memory for a long time when it loses 3 times in a row.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Great way of looking at it... and remember when Trevor has pulled out all 1 million balls there will still be 800k white and 200k black.

The key as everyone has said is that over a long period of time if you get your chips in as an 80% fav you will win 80% of the time. If you're really struggling to overcome it keep a spreadsheet and record the times when your hand holds up and when it doesn't. It's easy to forget the times you come out on top.
  • edited August 2010
    i had a day of bad luck yesterday losing with aces, set vs flopped straight etc.......

after the last one i just slammed the laptop shut and stopped playing for the day.

best thing to remember is tomorows another day

and that day will hopefully be your turn to win the races!
  • edited August 2010
    +1 for the strong beer - strong-bow ftw tho!

Seriously, play cash. Everyone knows that to final table an MTT - you NEED to get lucky, its just a fact.

This isn't the case with cash - although obv you can still run bad - it wont be as disheartening as playing 3 hours and being bubbled by a sick out-draw.
  • edited August 2010
    Just remind yourself that clusters of anything are perfectly normal.  Think of an imaginary bag, a bit like the bag used for the FA Cup draw, but this particular bag contains a million balls all randomly mixed up. 800,000 of the balls are white, and 200,000 balls are black. If Trevor Brooking keeps drawing balls out one by one there's no way they'll always come out as 4 whites followed by 1 black, you will get unlikely sequences all the time. For example you might get 23 whites followed by 5 blacks, then another 7 whites, then 4 blacks, then 11 whites, then 1 black etc. Compare the bag to a poker situation where you're an 80% favourite. The bad beats are like the blacks, they are guaranteed to come along in clusters sometimes, but in the long run the whites (or the wins) will be drawn 80% of the time. You should always be happy every single time you get your money in ahead, even when you lose, because the more often that happens the more money you will win. The human memory is selective. Nobody remembers (or even knows) if their AA holds up say 15 times in a row, but it hurts and sticks in the memory for a long time when it loses 3 times in a row.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Excellent post GaryQQQ
  • edited August 2010
    I don't have a problem with mentally over-riding-- I just go to bed muttering things like " flopwit flapheaded dingdong fluppin twot shaped conker brained wackering quasimodos---or words to a similar effect
    Posted by oynutter
    +1
  • edited August 2010
    well, I took a bit of time out to play some golf (about the same as poker for me- some skill involved, but a hell of a lot of luck too ^^) and that relaxed me a lot, came back and played in a primo sat, cracked aces with 7's early on before running KJ into A8 allin preflop and flopping two pair. Ended up qualifying, and feeling comfortable that my game's still running reasonably smoothly :)

I know about probability theory, and the whole heads/tails coinflip idea, but even so long streaks of harsh beats can sometimes get in your head I think, and that's what I feared was happening- a couple of nice runs makes you feel better though, I think.

Bring on the primo!! ^^