You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

i just cant fold aces can you??

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic
ok this guy had been hitting everything hence his large stack!!!

so as usuall i waited for good hand.

imo i re raised him ok but i really didnt like that flop!!!!

should i just check that flop???

what would you do here after his shove????
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Seagull158 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £4.03
donkeyplop Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £4.13
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

nixonbaby Fold        
andwhy Fold        
lgs6k Fold        
xxx
Raise   £0.24 £0.30 £13.56
Seagull158 Fold        
donkeyplop Raise   £0.80 £1.10 £3.33
xxx
Call   £0.60 £1.70 £12.96
Flop

• J

donkeyplop Bet   £1.70 £3.40 £1.63
xxx
All-in   £12.96 £16.36 £0.00
donkeyplop ????

Comments

• edited July 2010
    vomit slowly then fold
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: i just cant fold aces can you??:
    vomit slowly then fold
    Posted by The_Don90
    LOL! I could not put it better......... I agree!
  • edited July 2010
    against KsKh your 50/50 on the flop.
  • edited July 2010
     The question is this. If you are willing to fold to a raise then why did you c-bet for half of your stack?  This bet has meant that you have over twothirds of your stack in the middle at this stage.Amongst all the hands that are beating you he is also liable to do this sort of raise with a draw so this needs to be taken into account. Not sure what the best move here is but you could be drawing very thin to dead or be in quite a good position. But it is hard to see anything other than a call because you have come close to pot committing yourself with the 3-bet and c-bet
  • edited July 2010
    errrr once you've bet dont fold.
  • edited July 2010
    Put too much in to fold now. Just click call and hope he has the bare King of spades. Then hold up.
  • edited July 2010
    sorry i though this was 10nl for some reason when i saw the flop shove by Villian

if your going to pot this flop, you cannot fold. Potting this flop is also not a great play, because it allows them to play perfect against you. You are never folding once you pot the flop given your stack. they know this, so the will fold everytime they miss and only call with the top part of there range.

id rather you c-shove if you know they WILL bet, or bet around 55% of the pot and shove.
  • edited July 2010
    to that flop on here yes
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to i just cant fold aces can you??:
    what would you do here after his shove????                                                                                     

Posted by donkeyplop

1) Think what sort of hands he would raise that big and call your re-raise, what hands he would/could have re-re-raised.

2) Then i'd reduce those hands into ones that would continue on said flop.

3) I'd try and gauge the %chance of winning for us and then compare that to the pot odds we are getting and go from there. (hint we need just<20% chance to win to cawl this shove).

As 2 is hard to actually 'do' in game this is where your non playing time can really help.

Pokerstove is your friend.

• edited July 2010
     The question is this. If you are willing to fold to a raise then why did you c-bet for half of your stack?  This bet has meant that you have over twothirds of your stack in the middle at this stage.Amongst all the hands that are beating you he is also liable to do this sort of raise with a draw so this needs to be taken into account. Not sure what the best move here is but you could be drawing very thin to dead or be in quite a good position. But it is hard to see anything other than a call because you have come close to pot committing yourself with the 3-bet and c-bet
    Posted by Talon
    as i said in the title i cant fold aces.

so i did call but it was such a tricky call to make in such a short space of time!!!

i really wish sky had timebanks for these situations.
  • edited July 2010
    Got to call with the amount you have left, though it's quite a crying call- if he does have the two spades or made straight, such is life- but there is a possibility he's got top pair, a spade draw or a straight draw. With the amount invested, just gotta call and hope I think! Interested to see what he had.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: i just cant fold aces can you?? : as i said in the title i cant fold aces. so i did call but it was such a tricky call to make in such a short space of time!!! i really wish sky had timebanks for these situations.
    Posted by donkeyplop

this is an easy call.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: i just cant fold aces can you?? : this is an easy call.
    Posted by beaneh
    how would you play this hand?  would you ever lead out smaller or always check it?
  • edited July 2010

I would say to myself fantastic fold ul .. wd then u have all 3 excuses lol .. but to be honest i would have folded seein that flop, like u said u reraised and didn't like it so good judgment there, so as in u mind u was beaten so wd gf ...  :)

• edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: i just cant fold aces can you?? : how would you play this hand?  would you ever lead out smaller or always check it?
    Posted by N1CK
    this is the advice im after.

like talon said after id c bet half my stack i was commited really.

i guess on such a scary board all i could do was raise alot or fold????
  • edited July 2010
    I'd personally just open shove, as unless he's hit a set/2 pair/str8/flush your ahead. And he'll call on a draw which is good for you.
  • edited July 2010
    With this hand all he has done is min raised you if you where deeper stacked would you call a min raised on that flop with AA. YES with those pot odds. It looks like AJ with the Ace of spades or maybe QQ, i think your ahead here but just ahead. If he has KQ then all well another day AA got cracked.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to i just cant fold aces can you?? : 1) Think what sort of hands he would raise that big and call your re-raise, what hands he would/could have re-re-raised. 2) Then i'd reduce those hands into ones that would continue on said flop. 3) I'd try and gauge the %chance of winning for us and then compare that to the pot odds we are getting and go from there. (hint we need just<20% chance to win to cawl this shove). As 2 is hard to actually 'do' in game this is where your non playing time can really help. Pokerstove is your friend.
    Posted by beaneh
    how do you get 20%?
  • edited July 2010
    Yes, I can fold with a big stack here, but I insta call with my remaining £1.63 for the fiver already in the pot.

If I folded with a big stack I may well be ahead and it would hurt, but this is the worst flop ever for AA without a spade.

However, with only £1.63 left to play for he could easily be shoving with any 9,T,J any pair, any spade, any straight draw, or air.
  • edited July 2010
    The pot odds are as follows I believe

On the flop the pot was £1.70 before any action. Donkeyplop then bets £1.70 into it. So the pot becomes £3.40. The Villian then raises another £1.63 effectively as this is all Donkeyplop has left in his stack. So we are being asked to call £1.63 to win £6.73. So we need to be right about 24 percent of the time or 1 time in 4 to make this call.

At this point we do not really have enough info to put the Villian on a hand but will try. He makes a raise of 6xB preflop. Is this normal on Sky? I don't play on that site much sorry (although I might do soon). He then calls a raise of just over three times his original raise. 

A very rough range could be, AK (with at least one spade), QQ, JJ, 1010, 99, even 88. Maybe KQ, although I don't think that is a likely hand as he has called a big reraise. I am assuming he reraises preflop with AA and KK so thwy are probably not in his range. 

If that is is entire rane then out equity in this pot is 25% (from Pokerstove) making it a call. I think this is a pretty tight range to put the villan on. If we take KQ out of the equation then we go up to 38%. If we add in AJ with the ace of spades then we go up to 41%.

This looks like a pretty easy call to me.

btw - on that flop with this hand and what is already in the pot I am shoving.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm no expert but personally, I think you have the info you need.

He called a big re-raise and then threw another massive re-raise onto your pot sized bet.

You are behind (at least, your opponent think's he is ahead, which may or may not be the same thing). I would have him on AK spades, KQ (any) or perhaps AQ spades / pocket jacks at a stretch. I would discount the draw on the basis of the re-raise to your pot sized bet.

Some people have suggested that holding a limited number of chips left means you should call, but I have to ask why you didn't put the whole lot in on the flop? Why did you hold some back? I think you smelled a rat pre-flop perhaps? If I was in your position I might min raise on the flop to get the same info? That might show weakness, but after that flop, I might be feeling pretty weak and want to get out quickly.
  • edited August 2010
    I would deffo be calling here to find out where I am
  • edited August 2010
    I would deffo be calling here to find out where I am
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    lol

fwiw, i agree with dudeskin, open shove the flop...
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: i just cant fold aces can you?? : how do you get 20%?
    Posted by N1CK

quick maths in your head with these silly sky hh's

everything in the pot/how much do you need to put in (this is as long as the betting will be over).
  • edited August 2010
    FlashFlush Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £90.01
    goochman Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £54.17
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

DeadAce666 Fold     
    OMahonyO Raise  £2.00 £2.75 £46.00
    alias367 Fold     
    FlashFlush Fold     
    goochman Call  £1.50 £4.25 £52.67
    Flop