You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this a losing call over time?

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Right no reads as such but put the villain on ak-a10 here couldn't see them limping with anything stronger. So after i raise my instinct is i have the made hand so i'll call but is this correct? or should i not be flipping for 40bb when 100 deep?
suzy666 Small blind
£0.02 £0.02 £5.04
YOUNG_GUN Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £3.86
  Your hole cards

Villain
Call   £0.04 £0.10 £1.59
devonfish5 Fold        
lucky10 Fold        
suzy666 Call   £0.02 £0.12 £5.02
YOUNG_GUN Raise   £0.16 £0.28 £3.70
Villain All-in   £1.59 £1.87 £0.00
suzy666 Fold        
YOUNG_GUN Call   £1.43 £3.30 £2.27
YOUNG_GUN Show

Villain Show
  • Q
  • A

Flop

• A
  • Q

Turn

River

Villain Win Two Pairs, Aces and Queens £3.06   £3.06

Comments

• edited August 2010
    You have to fold, he is basically playing a gambling game, you do not want to play that sort of game. He only has £1.59 but it doesn't matter it's still too much, if he had say less than a £1 than I can undrestand the call but just a little too much for me.
  • edited August 2010
    thanks dudeskin sound advice here i think, as no point risking half my stack on a gamble i should be better than that. think other days i would have folded here just felt like GAMBLE!!!!! lol bad idea
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this a losing call over time?:
    thanks dudeskin sound advice here i think, as no point risking half my stack on a gamble i should be better than that. think other days i would have folded here just felt like GAMBLE!!!!! lol bad idea
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    TBH mate I use to have these spots playing at this level (before I gave it a break) and sometimes you just think it's only 2,3,4 quid and just call cus you know they cud do it with any two, but you have to build up a lot of self-control which helps you press the fold button eventually lol.
  • edited August 2010
    at this level he prob does the same with 22 as he does with AQ
  • edited August 2010
    If you think it's a flip, it's not a losing call over time is it...
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Is this a losing call over time?:
    Right no reads as such but put the villain on ak-a10 here couldn't see them limping with anything stronger. So after i raise my instinct is i have the made hand so i'll call but is this correct? or should i not be flipping for 40bb when 100 deep?

Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    you are playing in a cash game not a tournament, the bolded parts make no sense from a cash game point of view, if your opponent has 40bbs and you have 100bbs you are playing a 40bb effective stack.

the 'no point risking half my stack' also is not sound cash game logic, if you do lose a flip you just reload back upto 100bbs and complain to your cat/dog about how bad you run and how life isnt fair

if your read on him having AT-AK is correct (which i think it isnt i am almost certain he can have JJ+ here aswell)

then you should calling this off everytime all day long
  • edited August 2010
    well that was my read ak-a10 mate honest, but still i shouldnt really be flipping as others have said

i think sometimes i will get in a position and think if i lose the flip ill reload which i did, but still cant be a good call over time. I definately didn't put them on JJ or 10/10 otherwise i wouldn't call it or any pair above mine had the range as above and thought only half my stack and i'll reload which i realise you need to be more strict at micro's it is frustrating as played cash alot higher just need too build my roll back from these games
  • edited August 2010
    well that was my read ak-a10 mate honest, but still i shouldnt really be flipping as others have said i think sometimes i will get in a position and think if i lose the flip ill reload which i did, but still cant be a good call over time. I definately didn't put them on JJ or 10/10 otherwise i wouldn't call it or any pair above mine had the range as above and thought only half my stack and i'll reload which i realise you need to be more strict at micro's it is frustrating as played cash alot higher just need too build my roll back from these games
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    i really don't know how you get such a specific read as definitely putting him on A,10-A,K
    what you mean is : im calling this so i really hope he has A,10 A,K
    basically he can have anything here 22-AA and so on
    you really have to think in ranges rather than specific hands then work out how you hand fares against that range,
    obviously you can start to narrow that range down as the streets unfold also considering his actions and any other info you have, ok im getting off track here but i think this is a valid point im making
  • edited August 2010
    I did think of ranges and didnt think he would play that way with any pair simples and as above that was the range i put him on, maybe due to the level and people are rather predictable and wasn't solely because of the player
  • edited August 2010
    if there range is AT-AK and you have 99 and you fold pre flop that is a mistake

there is nothing wrong with losing a stack in a cash game unless you will go on super tilt and spew more money away. if you have 55% equity in the hand like you do above and you fold, THIS IS A MISTAKE.

you say its not a good call over time, 55% equity in a 77bb pot give you a return of 42.35bbs every time you make the call.  you invested 40bbs (39.75 actually but meh).

so everytime you make this call you GAIN ~2.5bbs hence it is not a losing call over time.

• edited August 2010
    Oh right thanks lol raise, i honestly didn't know odds etc i play on feel alot thats why i put it out there

so in future same call with effective stacks at 40 bb?