You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ASKING TK - Making a set from a pocket pair.

edited August 2010 in Poker Chat
Hi TK,
I played an interesting hand yesterday. I had AA and was All-In against QQ & JJ. The set from a pair is 8.25/1 and therefore I think we are all equal at 2.75/1 the set on the flop and 1.65/1 on the board. The flop gave up a J and AA & QQ were eliminated.
I understand that AA was fav but mainly if no-one hit a set. What are the odds in AA's favour under these circumstances? Quite marginal, I think.
Best regards, Frank - "PHRANK."

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Put in Ask Tikay which is the first thread in general, cant be too hard to miss mate as i doubt he will get a chance to come accroos here
  • edited August 2010

Hi Phrank,

Pre-Flop, A-A v Q-Q v J-J, all-in pre-flop is......(rounded up or down to nearest whole %)

A-A 67%

Q-Q 18%

J-J 14%

This assumes an even distribution of suits.

It is 0.34% for a chop.

I think your point is this, really. An overpair is 80-20 (approx) v an underpair, but those odds change if there are TWO underpairs.

Take that a stage further, then.

It's a 6 handed Table on Sky Poker, & every PP from A-A down to 9-9 is out. The odds now are.....

A-A 37%

K-K 19%

Q-Q 14%

J-J 11%

T-T 10%

9-9 9%

And so comes the most oft-asked trivia question in poker.

It's the very FIRST HAND of the WSOP, & 8 players go all-in before you, & it's you now to act - & you have A-A. What do you do?

The clues are.....

1) Your hand is favourite to beat ANY other single hand.

2) Your hand is an UNDERDOG to the entire table, as a whole. A-A in that spot is only a 26% shot.

• edited August 2010
    Preflop

AA - 67%

QQ - 17%

JJ - 15%

Post Flop

(Roughly as I don't know all of the flop cards, or their suits)

AA - 8.9%

QQ - 8.5%

JJ - 82%

Hope this helps.

Edit - How can Tikay beat me?
  • edited August 2010

It's the very FIRST HAND of the WSOP, & 8 players go all-in before you, & it's you now to act - & you have A-A. What do you do?

Is the answer - Shove all in, hope for the best and if the worst happens.....REBUY?

:)
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: ASKING TK - Making a set from a pocket pair.:
    Preflop AA - 67% QQ - 17% JJ - 15% Post Flop (Roughly as I don't know all of the flop cards, or their suits) AA - 8.9% QQ - 8.5% JJ - 82% Hope this helps. Edit - How can Tikay beat me?
    Posted by Cowgomoo
    Better still, we BOTH beat MereGeek at his own game!
  • edited August 2010

The clues are.....

1) Your hand is favourite to beat ANY other single hand.

2) Your hand is an UNDERDOG to the entire table, as a whole. A-A in that spot is only a 26% shot.

Wow this is an interesting one. I've heard it plenty of times before and always said to myself "Don't be silly, of course this is a snap fold."

But I didn't investigate the odds or consider it properly until now. 26% to 9x u first hand? I'm snap calling, high fiving the dealer, and 3/4 times, going home having spent $10,000 on 1 minute of actiion.

I think it's a real shame this is almost certainly never going to be anything more than a theoretical question lol.
  • edited August 2010
      Nice question TK with the AA allin 9 handed. My views and i am ready to be slated for them.

Cash game is instacall
      Rebuy tournament  is instacall
      Big buyin freezeout tournament is instafold.

I have no intention of risking everything preflop first hand when no better than 3 to 1 dog to win.But better spots will be available with much worse hands later
  • edited August 2010

You are not alone Colin - I fold there, too. And I've been lambasted & mocked for nearly 10 years on every poker Forum in the UK for holding such a ridiculous view, too.

I don't get so much stick about it these days though, perhaps because most of those who stuck it in my eye have long gone busto.....;)

Seriously, it's a great question, & proves that poker is a game of opinions.

As it happens, I have never played the WSOP Main. And if I ever do, I'll savour every second. And I'll be at the Table a goodly while, too. I want value for my $10,000, &, realistically, I'm not gonna win it, so I'll trundle along quietly, enjoy myself, & more likely than not, make a minor Cash.  
  • edited August 2010
    What about if it is still the very first hand of the main event but it is simply a heads up pot. Somebody 6-bet shoves all in on you for the full 30,000 starting stack. You looked down at AA. You have a very weak table that you think you will be able to outplay during the course of day 1. Also lets assume you won entry via a satellite and it is unlikely you will have the chance to play the main event again for the foreseeable future . Do you still make the call? Or do you fold and get some more bang for your buck? 
  • edited August 2010
    What about if it is still the very first hand of the main event but it is simply a heads up pot. Somebody 6-bet shoves all in on you for the full 30,000 starting stack. You looked down at AA. You have a very weak table that you think you will be able to outplay during the course of day 1. Also lets assume you won entry via a satellite and it is unlikely you will have the chance to play the main event again for the foreseeable future . Do you still make the call? Or do you fold and get some more bang for your buck? 
    Posted by BrownnDog
    This is a no brainer lol I really couldn't live with myself if I folded AA heads up here lol
  • edited August 2010
     Yours is a much easier question to answer brownndog. AA vs any other holding is between 4 and 8 to 1 favourite preflop so would be happy to go all in pre HU in that situation knowing the odds were big time in my favour.(with of course the unlikely AA vs AA coup).

If i went out in this situation i would have the knowledge of going in a big fave and i think i can live with that.You cant wait until you have the hand locked down to get your chips in and this is as good a spot as any you will ever see.
  • edited August 2010
    No I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Would you let the experience of playing in the main event (once in a lifetime for many people) affect the way you play AA before the flop. 
  • edited August 2010
      The thing is if you are going to play in the main event for the once in a lifetime experience and then refuse to play good poker to make sure it stays with you a bit longer then you are selling yourself and the experience short. By folding in this situation you are just playing bad poker to stay in the tournament and almost ensure you cant run deep. If this is your intent then all you need to do is go to vegas and just stand on the rail and get the atmosphere from there.
  • edited August 2010
    Im NOT foldin AA anywhere at all,with only the following exceptions and this ONLY depends on my stack size.

1 Bubble of an important sat

2 Final table bubble

3 Vs TIKAY

dav
  • edited August 2010
    Hi Phrank, Pre-Flop, A-A v Q-Q v J-J, all-in pre-flop is......(rounded up or down to nearest whole %) A-A 67% Q-Q 18% J-J 14% This assumes an even distribution of suits. It is 0.34% for a chop. I think your point is this, really. An overpair is 80-20 (approx) v an underpair, but those odds change if there are TWO underpairs. Take that a stage further, then. It's a 6 handed Table on Sky Poker, & every PP from A-A down to 9-9 is out. The odds now are..... A-A 37% K-K 19% Q-Q 14% J-J 11% T-T 10% 9-9 9% And so comes the most oft-asked trivia question in poker. It's the very FIRST HAND of the WSOP, & 8 players go all-in before you, & it's you now to act - & you have A-A. What do you do? The clues are..... 1) Your hand is favourite to beat ANY other single hand. 2) Your hand is an UNDERDOG to the entire table, as a whole. A-A in that spot is only a 26% shot.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thank you for this comprehensive reply TK. WSOP QUESTION - MY ANSWER - PANIC !!!! But I think I am in position and any other hand must be worse than 26%....., so ALL-IN !! Frank - "PHRANK"
  • edited August 2010
    Posted by BrownnDog
    Is this a question about hookers?
  • edited August 2010
    There's no way i'd be folding AA preflop. If they held up i'd be in a great position to progress. If they didn't, i'd be knocked out with best hand possible. Im sure i could live with myself and if nothing else i'd be able to tell the ultimate bad beat story.
  • edited August 2010
    Fold AA then get your money in good on the next hand then a guy hits runner runner on you and your out. Think i take the AA hand please.
  • edited August 2010
    Tikay.

To your WSOP question.

Now myself, i have the view i would fold, however if the situation ever arose, could i fold, i guess i probably couldnt. Even though i know in my head im drawing to an Ace, im getting 8-1 on my money with AA.

However i remember my Dad told me a story about a hand he had on another site while he was watching me play a Scary Bounty Hunter MTT. I had AK with a raise and re-raise followed by shove infront of me. I made the call. As the hand was being delt he told me, ive folding KK in a very similar situation. He said There where 3 raises infront and 2 allins behind them, i just didnt feel comfortable against that many holdings knowing my stack wouldnt get any other raisers off their hands.

P.S. I lost the AK hand. lol
  • edited August 2010
    No I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Would you let the experience of playing in the main event (once in a lifetime for many people) affect the way you play AA before the flop. 
    Posted by BrownnDog

HU is totally diff to a 9 person arrr een.

it all depends on whether your edge over the field is greater than the benefit of 9xing up at the start a small% of the time.