You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What would you like to see on 865?

edited August 2010 in Poker Chat

Following on from last night's show and comments made this morning by Sky_Claire and Tikay, it is clear that Sky WILL listen to feedback about what people want to see. Therefore, I thought it would be a great shame if people didn't offer their feedback. I know there is plenty of feedback already on the show threads but I thought it would be a  good idea to start this specific thread.

So, for what it's worth, here is my 2 cents worth:

I love the live shows and think they are the best part of the channel by far. I actually look forward to the evenings when they are on and I never miss one. I went on holiday for a week last month and I recorded them all to watch when I got back. I am very disappointed to learn that the 3D studio is going as I think that setup is fantastic.

As I understand it the channel is basically a marketing tool. In my own personal experience, the live shows are the SINGLE reason I am now hooked on poker. I played a couple of games on another site a few years ago and won a couple of games but never really got into it. Then I discovered Channel 865 around xmas 2008 and absolutely loved it and like I say it got me completely hooked on poker. If it wasn't for these shows I would never have discovered that there are correct ways to play poker, I would never have considered simple concepts such as pot odds etc and I would not be playing now, simple as that. As it is I spent around 7 months watching the show and never missing one while I finished my degree. On finishing my degree, I made my first deposit the night of my last exam and I have played on Sky virtually everyday since then. So, just in my personal experience, Channel 865 is an extremely valuable marketing tool for Sky.

Bottom line then, looking forward, what I would like to see is as many live shows as is at all possible. I wish they were on every day I have been disappointed every time one has been axed and I for one would absolutely hate to see the end of the live show on Channel 865.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Well said John, I was one of those that voice my disapproval last night and I honestly think that scrapping the Primo live show would be a big loss to the site.  I hope that those in charge truly do listen to their customers and bring the show back quickly.  I do understand that change has to happen and I believe there is a place somewhere in the scheduling for the new "Dealers Choice" show but not as a replacement for the live action in the Primo.  We have already lost a huge number of the live shows and to lose this one as well would, in my opinion, be the death knell for Channel 865.

I understand as well that they are doing away with the 3D graphics and I'd like to know the rationale behind this as I believe this adds to the show, watching a flat screen display is just like looking at your computer screen and as a TV presentation looks, in my opinion, boring.

Steve
  • edited August 2010
    I didn't see the show on Sunday but from what I've read, the hands were shown on a 2D table. Obviously if there is a problem with showing hands on the 3D table then there's nothing that can be done but I definitely prefer the 3D view with the presenters sitting behind the virtual table.

One thing I would like to see is more highlights of the live event coverage like when sky went to Vegas the last couple of years, the SPUKT '09 and the 5 legs of the SPT '10, with one maybe replayed 2 or 3 times per day for flexibility, 1pm, 7pm and midnight, something like that with a different one each day with maybe an advanced notice on the forum and the site which ones will be shown.
    I always enjoy watching these type of shows.
  • edited August 2010

Cash hands from all the different mastercash levels, and selected dyms (TV symbol) shown, hand after hand, all night.

No need for commentary, so will be cheap as chips to do? 2 - d is fine?

Encourage ppl to play more to get on TV - give us something interesting to watch - and avoid so many repeats.

- If people don't want to be shown - don't play MC/TV tables :)

simplez

......oh....and yeh bring primo back! :) (loving all the cash action tho - so definitely NO open/spt/ANY sort of tourny coverage on masterCASH plzzzzzzzzz )
  • edited August 2010
    I wrote this on the primo thread as well.  I loved sky with the nightly open tournies shown.  To basically now have a tourney shown 2 nights a week (1 if primo goes) and that being on a Thursday which is generally a bounty hunter will be disastrous for Sky's image. 

Also, why remove 3D when all of Sky's push now is towards 3D????????????  Just makes no sense and as Brownndog said on the other thread - looks like a big backward step.

I love playing on Sky and the presenters / analysts / staff are great.  However, for the site to attract new customers the TV channel needs to be used more productively than simly showing repeat after repeat of the same 'Top of the Pots' show!!!!

Also, Sky need to be very careful of maintaining their current clients as this TV move alongside pumping money into freerolls and rebuys are not helping the current clients (me definitely + others I have chatted to)with a bit of a bankroll feel valued in any way.  

Just my tuppence anyway!
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks for the feedback and please keep it coming.

John that is a lovely post and we are so grateful for your support.

Kiwini4u- the main reason for the change in set is we are trying to cut back on costs. The studios we currently rent costs us a lareg amount of money per year which the business cannot justify. The money saved can therefore be reinvested into the website and other areas of Sky Poker.

Kevilfish- we show highlights of the SPT events across the channel and will be covering the final at DTD this September. This normally gets aired one week after the event as we need to edit the footage. These shows are scattered all over the schedule and are under the TV schedule section on this site. We are also hoping to attend the WSOPE and possibly the WPT in London this September and will be bringing you the highlights of them.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: What would you like to see on 865?:
    Thanks for the feedback and please keep it coming. John that is a lovely post and we are so grateful for your support. Kiwini4u- the main reason for the change in set is we are trying to cut back on costs. The studios we currently rent costs us a lareg amount of money per year which the business cannot justify. The money saved can therefore be reinvested into the website and other areas of Sky Poker. Kevilfish- we show highlights of the SPT events across the channel and will be covering the final at DTD this September. This normally gets aired one week after the event as we need to edit the footage. These shows are scattered all over the schedule and are under the TV schedule section on this site. We are also hoping to attend the WSOPE and possibly the WPT in London this September and will be bringing you the highlights of them.
    Posted by Sky_Claire
    Thanks for the response Claire, I can understand the reasoning behind it, but its a shame it has to happen, guess i'll just have to get used to seeing things in 2D again.

Steve
  • edited August 2010

we needn't persuade skypoker to listen as it is wise for them to seek out the views of their customers.  if they listen, good for them.  if they act on what they hear, good too.  if it means that they persevere making these decision, such as removing 3D, good for them too.  but probably not good for business.

the decisions are theirs on business matters, the decisions are ours on whether skypoker are offering something more attractive than other options and how and where we choose to spend our time and money.

• edited August 2010

Hi All, but especially "THE SUITS"

I work in a business that has a large element of customer service as part of it's business plan, and over the past 20 odd years I've seen the transient effects that accountants have on businesses if they are allowed to 'dictate' what goes into the business plan.

In my experience I've never seen an accountant build a successful business, they only push cost cutting through (if allowed by weak management) with no thought to who actually pays for the goods and services.

Changes only happen with an influx of good ideas from forward thinking people who invest in creating a great/improved product, market it well and deliver exceptional customer service.

Cost cutting and devaluing the offering by 'product engineering' ie:

Less live broadcasts

Too many repeats

Not enough hand analysis  - the main reason we are here - well except for the community

Alienates the current customer base, and does nothing to attract new ones.

Things that can be done:

Attack the costs that are not customer facing:

Renegotiate the studio rent & rate terms.

In my world 75% of the employees are frontline who make & sell, so look at your non-productive establishment, and make sure they are good value for their input.     

Talk to your customers and deliver on the best 4 - 5 ideas that will surely become obvious very quickly.

Never think you know better than your customers, it leads you to making the wrong call, last night being a prime example  - oh yes, if anyone said "they'll get used to it"  FIRE THEM.

If you need any help in getting it right give me a call.

Dave

• edited August 2010
    Cash hands from all the different mastercash levels, and selected dyms (TV symbol) shown, hand after hand, all night. No need for commentary, so will be cheap as chips to do? 2 - d is fine? Encourage ppl to play more to get on TV - give us something interesting to watch - and avoid so many repeats. - If people don't want to be shown - don't play MC/TV tables :) simplez ......oh....and yeh bring primo back! :) (loving all the cash action tho - so definitely NO open/spt/ANY sort of tourny coverage on masterCASH plzzzzzzzzz )
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    +1 this is also my idea of a great programme to watch on 865 and yeah tbh i dont mind a show of this nature in 2D,dav
  • edited August 2010
    GREAT first post. You hit the nail right on the head.

Lets hope they contact you.

Congrats again to Sue for her performance in Vegas.

Steve
  • edited August 2010
    Kidgrimsby you deserve a Knighthood, take a bow my friend, great post !!
  • edited August 2010
    Cash hands from all the different mastercash levels, and selected dyms (TV symbol) shown, hand after hand, all night. No need for commentary, so will be cheap as chips to do? 2 - d is fine? Encourage ppl to play more to get on TV - give us something interesting to watch - and avoid so many repeats. - If people don't want to be shown - don't play MC/TV tables :) simplez ......oh....and yeh bring primo back! :) (loving all the cash action tho - so definitely NO open/spt/ANY sort of tourny coverage on masterCASH plzzzzzzzzz )
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    +1 ive mentioned this before in other threads
  • edited August 2010
    More Dancing from Lisa and Sarah (and maybe Claire ;0))
  • edited August 2010
    John Connor says it all. The main reason i play on the site was because of the live shows on 865. i've learnt most of what I know from watching hour after hour of these shows and if it goes to a 2d version then i'll be switching off.
    The 2d version is ok for show my hand and analysis in the club but if they intend to do whole shows in 2D it'll ruin an excellent show. So bring back the primo and keep it in 3d.
    Kidgrimsby, excellent post Sir. Far more eloquent than my drivel.
  • edited August 2010
    Kidgrimsby you deserve a Knighthood, take a bow my friend, great post !!
    Posted by goodylad21
    Yes excellent business thoughts , +110%  
    Also  just to add, in any business  no matter be it  car sales or food  or  entertainment, what makes  customers keep coming back time and again ?   
    "They have enjoyed their buying  experience" !!  Smile and make them laugh, it's that easy !

• edited August 2010
    The only shows I watch regularly are the live shows, and I prefer the tournement shows to the Saturday cash show, so my viewing time on Sky has been diminished quite a lot in the last two years.  I am less likely to recommend Sky now as well, as one of the attractions when I first started playing on-line was seeing my hand from the last 10 minutes being shown and analysed.  I do sometimes watch the club, but not regularly and anything else just ocassionly.
  • edited August 2010
    I totally agree with the general consensus on this thread. The thing that really makes Sky Poker in my opinion is the live shows.

I'm gutted it was taken away yesterday especially when it was one of my best mates who went on to win the Primo last night!!! It's a great addition to the site and I really enjoy watching 865 and watching my tournament live whilst playing. Shame the only time I've been shown in a hand for analysis was when I was bluffed :P

• edited August 2010
    I reckon Kidgrimsby must have snook in the meeting and hid behind the water cooler.

Great post sir....were they also saying we'll learn to love rebuy rake in time?

Did Jonny Gould's name crop up at any point?

Were there any muffins left?

• edited August 2010
    The only shows I watch regularly are the live shows, and I prefer the tournement shows to the Saturday cash show, so my viewing time on Sky has been diminished quite a lot in the last two years.  I am less likely to recommend Sky now as well, as one of the attractions when I first started playing on-line was seeing my hand from the last 10 minutes being shown and analysed.  I do sometimes watch the club, but not regularly and anything else just ocassionly.
    Posted by SoLack
    My sentiments exactly , I never even turn the channel on these day's. I used to watch  the live shows in 3D 5 or 6 days a week, not worth a mention now. You will always get the odd few who say they love the new format, but I'm sure the vast majority of players joined sky because they could watch the live tournaments. Surely sky can see that in the long run the cost-cutting will end up losing a lot of customers, therefore losing more revenue, and eventually the end of sky poker, I hope that never happens. On a positive note, they still have some great presenters and some very good tournaments, with more variety now than before,, I hope they can build on that. Cost-cutting is happening everywhere, and I understand it has to happen, but maybe sky could look at other way's to implement it, a way that won't directly effect their biggest asset, customers.Good luck sky.
  • edited August 2010
    Im not sure if it been mentioned.

However when the SPT comes along, have live coverage. Select a featured table and use that. Then have highlights from other tables at night. Think that would be interesting.
  • edited August 2010
  • edited August 2010
    i`v got to admit i used to go out sunday nites because nowt was on but then watched primo, whether in it or not i enjoyed watchin, if it`s gone, i`m off out again which means no poker for me on laptop
  • edited August 2010
    There are some really good points here, but the basis of any programme has to be variety, fun and excellent content. The presenters and analysis is second to none. The live programmes are superb and enthralling especially if you are playing, so the more the merrier. You need cash AND tournament coverage to cater for everyones taste, we aren't all cash players after all.
    Surely, there are ways of cutting down costs without losing the superb 3D effects and losing more and more live coverage. When sky poker first started, The Club was on every night which was very witty and informative and there was an Open tournament or such every night. Surely things should be getting better and better rather than going backwards? Sky has always been innovative with its football and other sport coverage, surelt it has to lead the way with Poker aswell.

After all, we would ALL like to see more of Tikay and Lisa Marie.....
  • edited August 2010
    I agree with most of the posts on here, the only reason I joined Sky Poker over any other site was because of the live tournaments shown on TV, and in particualr the 3D studio set up. This is one of the big reasons for watching and joining Sky Poker in the first place. I also enjoy the presenting of Rich Orford and Tikey together (great chemistry) and also LML with anyone. I think Sky are lucky to have her, she is a great presenter and is not just a pretty face, she knows her stuff too, as well as being ammusing with her on screen banter.

In my opinion to lose lots of live tournaments in favour of re runs and repeats, and to lose the unique 3D imaging and how that works with the presenters will be a huge step back for Sky. I understand that the cost might be high for the 3D studio, but how many people will not sign up or even leave Sky Poker because it will just become one of many similar Poker formats.

Keep things the way they are, 3D screen, on screen presenter chemistry and the live tournaments are what sets Sky Poker apart from the rest.