You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Guy went nuts at me for this, but i feel i played it well you opinions folkes

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xSmall blind  £0.02 £0.02 £5.39
The_Don90 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £6.22
  Your hole cards
  • Q

aCall  £0.04 £0.10 £8.38
bFold     
cFold     
xCall  £0.02 £0.12 £5.37
The_Don90 Check     
Flop

• J

xBet  £0.12 £0.24 £5.25
The_Don90 Raise  £0.48 £0.72 £5.74
aFold     
xCall  £0.36 £1.08 £4.89
Turn

xCheck     
The_Don90 Bet  £0.54 £1.62 £5.20
xCall  £0.54 £2.16 £4.35
River

xCheck     
The_Don90 Bet  £1.08 £3.24 £4.12
xCall  £1.08 £4.32 £3.27
The_Don90 Show
  • Q

xMuck
  • J

The_Don90 Win Straight Flush to the Queen £4.00  £8.12
Pre flop, playing quite tight dont want to get involved with things like Q9 but offered check so i thought id take it.

Flop comes down offering me massive draws, i think here im slight favorite against almost any holdings and the guy bets out so i thought id make a re-raise while slight favorite. He checks the pair on the turn so i believe i can take it down here so bet out again, he calls not quite to plan but the river is a dream card, again he check calls.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Guy went nuts at me for this, but i feel i played it well you opinions folkes:
    Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance x Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £5.39 The_Don90 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £6.22   Your hole cards 9 Q       a Call   £0.04 £0.10 £8.38 b Fold         c Fold         x Call   £0.02 £0.12 £5.37 The_Don90 Check         Flop     J 6 10       x Bet   £0.12 £0.24 £5.25 The_Don90 Raise   £0.48 £0.72 £5.74 a Fold         x Call   £0.36 £1.08 £4.89 Turn     10       x Check         The_Don90 Bet   £0.54 £1.62 £5.20 x Call   £0.54 £2.16 £4.35 River     8       x Check         The_Don90 Bet   £1.08 £3.24 £4.12 x Call   £1.08 £4.32 £3.27 The_Don90 Show 9 Q       x Muck 3 J       The_Don90 Win Straight Flush to the Queen £4.00   £8.12 Pre flop, playing quite tight dont want to get involved with things like Q9 but offered check so i thought id take it. Flop comes down offering me massive draws, i think here im slight favorite against almost any holdings and the guy bets out so i thought id make a re-raise while slight favorite. He checks the pair on the turn so i believe i can take it down here so bet out again, he calls not quite to plan but the river is a dream card, again he check calls. What do you guys think?
    Posted by The_Don90
    Hi Don,

You got in for nowt and hit the flop with the flush draw, so for 12p i dont go away. After this your opponent allows you to take control of the pot. You bet on the turn and get called, which would have worried me, but you hit the magical card on the river yet still get called, by someone who might be a calling station.
    It would be interesting to know what he put you on, because with j3 he is beaten by any combo of j7 and above.
    Imo, you have done nowt wrong and their outburst was probably down to the fact that you hit on the river, but as i have said, you didn't call any bet and took control of the hand. If they thought they were ahead on the flop they should have bet more to not give anyone the price to chase to chase draws.

nh m8
    col 
  • edited August 2010
    This actually seems well played, I'm glad you just checked it down in the BB, but when you get that flop you have to think you've got the best chance of winning this hand. Your solid reraise on the flop should really have killed the hand their as with J3 he has no re-draw other than to 2-pair/trips so is looking bad, on the turn you stick another descent bet in maybe could have been more but half-pot with his hand should be enough and then the river rewards your good play so you get the lot. Nice hand aswell ;)
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Guy went nuts at me for this, but i feel i played it well you opinions folkes:
    In Response to Guy went nuts at me for this, but i feel i played it well you opinions folkes : Hi Don, You got in for nowt and hit the flop with the flush draw, so for 12p i dont go away. After this your opponent allows you to take control of the pot. You bet on the turn and get called, which would have worried me, but you hit the magical card on the river yet still get called, by someone who might be a calling station. It would be interesting to know what he put you on, because with j3 he is beaten by any combo of j7 and above. Imo, you have done nowt wrong and their outburst was probably down to the fact that you hit on the river, but as i have said, you didn't call any bet and took control of the hand. If they thought they were ahead on the flop they should have bet more to not give anyone the price to chase to chase draws. nh m8 col 
    Posted by mr_mbro
    to be honest mate, i think id have called any bet on the flop. Im sure bar a set im 60% to most holdings. Up and down straight flush draw so almost any spade, 8 or K with one over too.

I done a check against the J3 on the flop and i was 64.5% i think against it on the flop.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Guy went nuts at me for this, but i feel i played it well you opinions folkes:
    This actually seems well played, I'm glad you just checked it down in the BB, but when you get that flop you have to think you've got the best chance of winning this hand. Your solid reraise on the flop should really have killed the hand their as with J3 he has no re-draw other than to 2-pair/trips so is looking bad, on the turn you stick another descent bet in maybe could have been more but half-pot with his hand should be enough and then the river rewards your good play so you get the lot. Nice hand aswell ;)
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Thanks Dudeskin, good to get some positive feedback again, had alot of negitive recently.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Guy went nuts at me for this, but i feel i played it well you opinions folkes : Thanks Dudeskin, good to get some positive feedback again, had alot of negitive recently.
    Posted by The_Don90
    It's just confusing when you post these hands where it looks like you know what your doing perfectly, but also post ones that you've clearly made a silly mistake but can't see it.
  • edited August 2010
    I can understand that mate, most of the time im putting hands up i know ive played badly. Only a very small percentage of my hands end up here on the clinic. That is the main reason why its at either end of the spectrum.
  • edited August 2010
    Yea, nicely played. The guy should be slapping himself for his own play- if he truly thought you were on a draw, he should never have offered you the price- and if he thought he was beat, what on earth was he calling for? Awful play, so be thankful for that.

Calling on a draw is pretty much a bad play, but the fact you took initiative and made it look like you had the made hand was excellent, and his constant calling was a pretty clear indicator his hand was weak, either single pair or a draw himself. If you call someone down to the river you can't be surprised if they push ahead when you have such a weak hand, the time to take a stand is on the flop.
  • edited August 2010
    bet more turn and river 
  • edited August 2010
    what lynx said, its nice to see you making proper sized flop raises though
  • edited August 2010
    what lynx said, its nice to see you making proper sized flop raises though
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Ok, i agree i should have made more on the turn.

I dont want to really disagree or aegue any points however on the river i felt i bet as much as i could get paid.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Guy went nuts at me for this, but i feel i played it well you opinions folkes : to be honest mate, i think id have called any bet on the flop. Im sure bar a set im 60% to most holdings. Up and down straight flush draw so almost any spade, 8 or K with one over too. I done a check against the J3 on the flop and i was 64.5% i think against it on the flop.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Hi Don,
    You must beware of putting too much stall on the straight flush draws, as it was only a 2 outer. If it comes then happy days and figure from that point how much you can get paid. It would be better to just work on the odds of the flush coming in. Some players DO become too focused on the straight flush.
    Just a thought m8.

col
  • edited August 2010
    On that draw id be lookin to stack an oppo so as others have said get MORE cash in.dav
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Guy went nuts at me for this, but i feel i played it well you opinions folkes : Hi Don, You must beware of putting too much stall on the straight flush draws, as it was only a 2 outer. If it comes then happy days and figure from that point how much you can get paid. It would be better to just work on the odds of the flush coming in. Some players DO become too focused on the straight flush. Just a thought m8. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    I felt any spade, 8, Q or K was good.

So

3 8s

3 Qs

3 Ks

9 spades

18 outs
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Guy went nuts at me for this, but i feel i played it well you opinions folkes : I felt any spade, 8, Q or K was good. So 3 8s 3 Qs 3 Ks 9 spades 18 outs
    Posted by The_Don90
    Yeah i know, it was just you mentioned the up and down straight flush thats all.
    I liked the way you played it and cant believe what a plank the villian was to call you down. By the way it wasn't me was it lol.

col
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Guy went nuts at me for this, but i feel i played it well you opinions folkes : Yeah i know, it was just you mentioned the up and down straight flush thats all. I liked the way you played it and cant believe what a plank the villian was to call you down. By the way it wasn't me was it lol. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    Yea i just mentioned the biggest draw as it covers the other two draws :D.

Yea i couldnt believe it when i seen the cards either he mucked so i was interested to see so went to Hand History as i almost always do.

Thanks, i felt i played it well at the time, maybe the reward was hitting the 8 of spades. Only my third straight flush excluding royals.

Think my plays getting there. Starting to take most of the advice on board and using it more wisley.