You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The "THAT Show" Blog Feedback Thread.

13»

Comments

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: The "THAT Show" Blog Feedback Thread.:
    I've already commented above on a specific problem I'm having with the 2-D graphics but I also want express wider views.  In Tikay's blog it says: "For now, certainly until we move Studios, & quite possibly beyond, we will be 2D, as moving the software across is not really do-able." As a former ops director of an internet development company, I find that ridiculous and would love to see some technical explanation.  As I have said elsewhere, the 3D graphics don't need a new pit dug in the new floor - they are just graphics.  All you need is a blue floor and I have set blue rooms up in half a day.  It cannot be a long term problem for Sky. As with many other people, it was the visual quality of the 3D presentations that attracted me to Sky in the first place and unless we can see the presenters' reactions as the hands develop, the shows wont work for me. As for content, of course it must evolve; but I would add my pleas for having fewer mind-numbingly tedious repeats of interludes and for having as much live poker as the site can afford to produce.  Of course these mean paying presenters and crew and the old nightly shows must have been a loss leader - but they are what produced the vibrant growth the site is now enjoying and are what could sustain this growth in the future. Incidentally, I love the repeats of the Five O.  It is great to see the old presenters like Kara and Norman. (Finally, I would like to agree with Scotty77 (no,really!) when he says that the large field 9pm live tournament was a major attraction of the site.  We don't have enough large field tournaments.  Sadly, the only way to guarantee a large field is to offer a guaranteed pool, but it doesn't have to be large.  If we look at other sites, the biggest fields are produced by guarantees of around £1000 against a buy-in of around £2.  It would also work here.)
    Posted by metaraptor
    I think there is some confusion here. "Blue studios" (or "green studios") & 3-D are quite different things. We have both. Our 3D animation is provided by something called Free-D, (made & patented/licensed by the BBC) which presumably you are familiar with.

Here's a link which explains "Free-D". Note particularly the ceiling markers, which are shown in photographs on Page 2 of that web-page. Our Studio has over 900 (nine hundred) of those. If you can install, commission & test that little lot in half a day, I think we may be able to find you a little job......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/virtual/free-d/index.shtml

As to your comments on sizes of our Tourney fields, that's noted. Sky Poker are a young & new "standalone" site, not part of a network, & liquidity takes some time to achieve. They'll get there, but there's no magic short cut. It needs hard work this end, & loyal & understanding Clients at the other end. Fortunately, Sky Poker have both. 
  • edited August 2010
    The stopping of a live televised tournament every night is a shame. It was a great usp but i can understand why this has been reduced if the costs were huge. If the money becomes available again i think this is where it should be spent as it is the best reason to watch the channel and indeed play on the site.

A point that has been raised before is that the live tv coverage stops at midnight. The tournaments usually end at approx 12.30am so it would be better if you were to continue live coverage until 1am where you could show the whole tournament to its conclusion.

Ed
  • edited August 2010

Out of time, I'm afraid, so that's it for today, as I am doing PTP tonight, & I need to go get ready for that. After that's finished, I need to drive home tonight, setting off about Midnight, to sort some stuff out at home first thing tomorrow, then drive straight back down here.

Tomorrow I'm doing the Show - it's "BIG GAME" night! - & that in itself is time-consuming, as I need to spend all afternoon setting "my" part of that up - helping to find the players. The Show will be from 8pm until Midnight, & I believe will include "Top of the Pots".

Sunday I have to be Offline all day, as I need to go back up to Nottingham on business, & maybe play a littler poker, too, then drive back down ready for an early start on Monday.

Enjoy your weekend.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: The "THAT Show" Blog Feedback Thread. : Thanks Rich. That may in fact be a idea! To be fair, to expect a Presenter or Analyst to play the Tourney (in itself, quite possible given that they are at a Desk, with an attached Laptop module if necessary), and at the same time.... 1) LOOK at the (correct) camera - a must must. 2) Take talkback instructions down their earpiece from Producer & Director in the Gallery. 3) Concentrate on addressing the viewing audience, & be respectful by not ignoring them a la "ooh, can't talk now, I have Aces" or "I'm in the Big Blind, can't talk now" would be a tall order.  The Presenters (more than the Analystys) have a very tough job on, & do a brill job to look & sound natural. Adding to their brief "Play the Tournament, & don't put a foot wrong, because you'll be called out big time if you do" is maybe a step too far.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hmmm....not sure where in my post I suggest that a presenter/analyst should play whilst presenting/analysing??!

Mission Impossible, I'd say.
  • edited August 2010
    I mean one of your (as in one of ant avid watcher's, not your hands as in Tikay's) :-)
  • edited August 2010
    I mean one of your (as in one of ant avid watcher's, not your hands as in Tikay's) :-)
    Posted by darich
    Ahh, that makes perfect sense. Sort of.....

My apologies, a complete misread by me.

Still, at least I got a reply, I've been on this thread all day working at the replies & barely got a response!
  • edited August 2010
    Many thanks for replying Tikay.

Just didn't want you to think I was demanding even more from presenters and analysts, who already have so many plates to spin. 
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: The "THAT Show" Blog Feedback Thread. : Hi Col, No, we are moving a mere 5 miles east, to "Big Sky" in Osterley, from Feltham, which is on the fringes of Heathrow Airport.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tony,
    Thanks, maybe it's about time i got to grips with this Googlie thingy, eh.
    In my defence Osterley does sound like a good northern town.
    col
  • edited August 2010
    I am reliably informed, from the horses mouth in fact, that we SHOULD already have "series links". Attila is going to look into this, & will sort it out if it's not already in place.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks, Series Link was there, then disappeared from most shows.
    He stops at a service station for a cup of coffee, & she's got a mood on, & she decides (much to his relief) to stay in the car. He returns 15 minutes later, & resumes the drive.
    And with beautiful understatement, Garrison ends the chapter with the expression "how do these things happen?"
    Posted by Tikay10
    It was an 'accident' dear. ;-)
    "BIG SKY" at Osterly is in fact on the Great West Road, & right in the midst of all that splendid architecture. So I'll be able to bring you lots of photos of those lovely buildings, too.
    Posted by Tikay10
    That's a blog we're all thrilled to be looking forward to, sigh.
    Here's a link which explains "Free-D". Note particularly the ceiling markers, which are shown in photographs on Page 2 of that web-page. Our Studio has over 900 ( nine hundred ) of those. If you can install, commission & test that little lot in half a day, I think we may be able to find you a little job...... http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/virtual/free-d/index.shtml
    Posted by Tikay10
    Easy peasy, just slap them up on the ceiling spaced about 10cm apart (at 2 different heights as per spec, I'm no cowboy) and then whizz about with a camera letting it auto-calibrate itself. Job done. ;-)

Where you find the time to reply, so verbosely, to all questions posed, I shall never know.  But every sentence is appreciated.  Especially the one about LML nagging. :-D