You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

did i have the correct odds to make this call??

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic
yes i know i was short stacked but i was on tilt yesterday lol

anyway guy min raised i thought id call and hit open s/d!

i called a fairly weak raise imo and turned the magic card :)

question is did i have the correct odds to make that call??

oh and i cracked aces for the first time i think ;)
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
  Big blind   £0.04 £0.04 £4.77
  Big blind   £0.04 £0.08 £0.96
  Your hole cards

Fold        
  Check        
donkeyplop Call   £0.04 £0.12 £2.39

Raise   £0.08 £0.20 £3.05
  Fold        
  Call   £0.04 £0.24 £0.92
donkeyplop Call   £0.04 £0.28 £2.35
Flop

• J

Check        
donkeyplop Check        
  Bet   £0.21 £0.49 £2.84
  Fold        
donkeyplop Call   £0.21 £0.70 £2.14
Turn

donkeyplop Check        
  Bet   £0.92 £1.62 £1.92
donkeyplop Raise   £1.84 £3.46 £0.30
  All-in   £1.92 £5.38 £0.00
donkeyplop All-in   £0.30 £5.68 £0.00
  Unmatched bet   £0.70 £4.98 £0.70
donkeyplop Show

Show
  • A
  • A

River

donkeyplop Win Straight to the 7 £4.61   £4.61

Comments

• edited August 2010
    your getting 2.5/1 pot odds and your odds to hit your draw are 5/1 on the turn so no But you do have implied odds if you think he will pay you off if you hit,

you know this yeah and this is just a brag how you busted aces???
  • edited August 2010
    well i knew i was getting good value if id hit and it wasnt for alot of money ;)
  • edited August 2010
    i didnt need any pot odds or impied odds for this one!

this is why you shouldnt slow play aces.

like busses i wait then two come at once..............
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    donkeyplop Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £3.86
      Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £3.31
      Your hole cards

Fold        
      Call   £0.04 £0.10 £3.22

Call   £0.04 £0.14 £2.38
    donkeyplop Call   £0.02 £0.16 £3.84
      Check        
    Flop

donkeyplop Check        
      Check        
      Bet   £0.16 £0.32 £3.06
      Raise   £0.32 £0.64 £2.06
    donkeyplop Raise   £1.04 £1.68 £2.80
      Fold        
      Fold        
      All-in   £2.06 £3.74 £0.00
    donkeyplop Call   £1.34 £5.08 £1.46
    donkeyplop Show

Show
    • A
    • A

Turn

River

donkeyplop Win Straight to the 8 £4.70   £6.16
  • edited August 2010
    Yes.With the aid of an odds calculator and calculator you were 1.7/1 to hit your hand on he turn, with pot odds of 2.3/1 to hit your hand. Even doing it roughly, rough guide of x your outs by 4 for the turn and x 2 for the river and a udsd is 2/1 to hit on the turn, you are getting over 2/1 to hit on the turn.
    I will, of course stand corrected if someone a lot cleverer than me proves me wrong.It's just my understanding of it.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: did i have the correct odds to make this call??:
    Yes.With the aid of an odds calculator and calculator you were 1.7/1 to hit your hand on he turn, with pot odds of 2.3/1 to hit your hand. Even doing it roughly, rough guide of x your outs by 4 for the turn and x 2 for the river and a udsd is 2/1 to hit on the turn, you are getting over 2/1 to hit on the turn. I will, of course stand corrected if someone a lot cleverer than me proves me wrong.It's just my understanding of it.
    Posted by Mohican
    you just got it the wrong way around, the 2 and 4 method is if your on the flop to see the next card x your outs by 2 and add 1, if your on the flop and its allin so your going to see both cards its x4

remember to only x2 on the flop as there will be another round of betting on the turn
  • edited August 2010
    You've got it at 5/1 to hit on the turn which is roughly 16%. Which is his outs(8) x2. However, the odds calculator
    has that exact hand at 36.87% which is 1.7/1 to hit and 2.33/1 on his money. Even doing it roughly, his outs(8) x4 are 32%  which is a nadge over 2/1 to hit and he's getting a nadge over 2/1 on his money, so an insta call and the correct way to work this out.
    I've showed my workings out and believe they are correct. However, perhaps a third opinion on the matter can resolve this. For what it's worth, this has been my method for deciding whether to call of fold for a long time in certain scenarios and obviously if I'm getting it wrong I'd like to know.
  • edited August 2010
    to be honest i strugle to work all that out in such a short space of time but i wouldnt of called any raise over say 30p at this level.....
  • edited August 2010
    You've got it at 5/1 to hit on the turn which is roughly 16%. Which is his outs(8) x2. However, the odds calculator has that exact hand at 36.87% which is 1.7/1 to hit and 2.33/1 on his money. Even doing it roughly, his outs(8) x4 are 32%  which is a nadge over 2/1 to hit and he's getting a nadge over 2/1 on his money, so an insta call and the correct way to work this out. I've showed my workings out and believe they are correct. However, perhaps a third opinion on the matter can resolve this. For what it's worth, this has been my method for deciding whether to call of fold for a long time in certain scenarios and obviously if I'm getting it wrong I'd like to know.
    Posted by Mohican
    im talking about the first hand not the 2nd is this were the confusion is?
  • edited August 2010
    ok he on the flop with a straight draw, the chance of hitting 1 of the 8 outs is 17% which is 4.9:1 WITH ONE CARD TO COME

now if the other guy goes allin then he gets to see 2 cards for the same bet and his odds will be 31.5% or 2:2:1
  • edited August 2010
    (First hand 5s 7s)So please explain why the odds calculator has him at 36.87%(1,71/1) on the flop and on the turn(with Qhearts added which doesn't give any more outs) it has him at 18.18%(4.5/1).Using the 4 and 2 rule gives figures close to these which is why i don't understand how you are working out your odds.
  • edited August 2010
    (First hand 5s 7s)So please explain why the odds calculator has him at 36.87%(1,71/1) on the flop and on the turn(with Qhearts added which doesn't give any more outs) it has him at 18.18%(4.5/1).Using the 4 and 2 rule gives figures close to these which is why i don't understand how you are working out your odds.
    Posted by Mohican
    im really sorry but i cant explain this any better than i have already, read my last post again and think about it
  • edited August 2010
    Wait till the picture is approved and explain it to me then.
  • edited August 2010
    Wait till the picture is approved and explain it to me then.
    Posted by Mohican
    i know what its going to say,
    calculators are great for solving equations but they are rubbish if you dont know how to use them
  • edited August 2010
    Posted by Mohican
    this is how i work it out: there are 5 cards in this hand that we know of, his TWO hole cards and the THREE cards on the flop, this leaves 47 cards in the deck, ok so out of the 47 there are 8 that will make the straight and 39 that wont, so if we put this into a ratio it gives us 39/8 which is 17%
  • edited August 2010
    (8/47) x 100= 17%.
    Still doesn't explain why the odds calculator has it at 36%
  • edited August 2010
    (8/47) x 100= 17%. Still doesn't explain why the odds calculator has it at 36%
    Posted by Mohican
    your calculating the equity based on perfect information, he has 36% equity to win the hand on the flop
  • edited August 2010
    I had him at 32% on the flop.
  • edited August 2010
    I had him at 32% on the flop.
    Posted by Mohican
    are you leveling me?