You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Past & Present Sporting LEGENDS read more......... This is for all TYPES of SPORT Contributions

edited August 2009 in The Shed
one true legend 4 me is

STAN BOWLES,,okits football but wot a player

Dont know 2 much about the oval ball game but thought bill beaument got stuck in...

nice read bud

Comments

• edited August 2009
                                                           Famous Quotes---

The first ninety minutes of a football match are the most important.~ Bobby Robson (RIP)
    Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it’s much more serious than that.~ Bill Shankly

Hi all sports fans   Enjoy

Now we all have our Sporting Legends either Past or Present Sky Poker has its own living legend  who is known to us all as TK / Tikay or Tony Kendal 

To kick start this thread i have chosen   William "bill" Horton

a lot of you are gonna say     WHO?

This Legend is Described as one of the all time greats

William "Bill" Horton rugby league footballer of the 1920s and 1930s who played for; Wakefield Trinity, Yorkshire,         England and Great Britain.  from 1924-1936

Club              Wakefield Trinity Wildcats
     nickname       Wakey Trinity Wildcats

play at           Dreadnoughts Ground, Belle Vue, Wakefield (capacity 11,000)
     founded in     1873

Challenge cups     5
     Championships      2

In his career he played for     YORKSHIRE       39 Times often  captain 
                                              GREAT BRITAIN 14 Times 1928-1933
                                              ENGLAND           5 Times

Wakefield Trinity is also one of the original twenty-two rugby clubs that formed the Northern Rugby Football Union in 1895, making them one of the world's first rugby league teams.

Bill Horton started his career at Knottingley junior club, he joinded Wakefield Trinity at the age of 17 & by the time he was 21 was playing for GB against Australia  downunder 

His favoured position was Second Row where he dominated the play

Bill played for Trinity for all of his Career (12 years) 

you can find Bill Horton at Wakefield Trinity hall of Fame

Some other Famous  Knottingley (wakefield)   Residents (past and present),include:-

William "Bill" Horton rugby league footballer of the 1920s and 1930s who played for; Wakefield Trinity, Yorkshire, England and Great Britain.

Terry Cooper, Former Leeds United & England footballer. Currently Southampton's European scout.

Wayne Godwin, Bradford Bulls Rugby League footballer, and also played for Knottingley Rockware ARLFC.

Graham Steadman, Former York Wasps, Featherstone Rovers, Castleford Tigers & Great Britain Rugby League footballer. 

I would say that BILL HORTON is a true LEGEND

this came while researching a signed picture i have

I hope to see some more on here ABOUT any sport

THANKS

dtw

PS

Knottingley is famous for something else that could be classed as a sport of the 17th Century

Bear - Baiting    but thats another story

• edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Past & Present Sporting LEGENDS read more.........:
    one true legend 4 me is STAN BOWLES,,okits football but wot a player Dont know 2 much about the oval ball game but thought bill beaument got stuck in... nice read bud
    Posted by razorkev

hiya mate this thread is for all types of sporting legends so STAN BOWLES would be a welcome addition look forward to reading it m8
  • edited August 2009
    STAN BOWLES THE LEGEND

PLAYED 13 TIMES FOR ENGLAND 6 GOALS
    PLAYED 211 TIMES FOR QPR 110 GOALS
    BET MILLIONS OF TIMES ON GREYHOUNDS,WON 3 TIMES.LOL
    ALSO PLAYED FOR FOREST,MAN CITY,AND CARLISLE

FOR QPR THIS MAN WAS AND STILL IS A LEGEND ,SO SKILLFUL YET HAD AN EYE FOR GOAL I THINK HED STILL GET A CHANCE OF BEING OUR NUMBER 10 NOW....

CMON THE HOOPS.....
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Past & Present Sporting LEGENDS read more......... This is for all TYPES of SPORT Contributions Welcome:
    STAN BOWLES THE LEGEND PLAYED 13 TIMES FOR ENGLAND 6 GOALS PLAYED 211 TIMES FOR QPR 110 GOALS BET MILLIONS OF TIMES ON GREYHOUNDS,WON 3 TIMES.LOL ALSO PLAYED FOR FOREST,MAN CITY,AND CARLISLE FOR QPR THIS MAN WAS AND STILL IS A LEGEND ,SO SKILLFUL YET HAD AN EYE FOR GOAL I THINK HED STILL GET A CHANCE OF BEING OUR NUMBER 10 NOW.... CMON THE HOOPS.....
    Posted by razorkev

cheers for that m8 if you have a picture of Sir Stan Bowles why not put it here (would be nice)

am currently sorting the Legend Peter Osgood at the mo

have fun at " V " m8

michael
  • edited August 2009

JIMMY ( JINKY ) JOHNSTONE          1944 - 2006
     GLASGOW CELTIC FC
      1962 - 1975  = 130 goals
    HONOURS 1 european cup , 9 scottish league championships , 4 scottish cups , 5 league cups , 23 scotland caps.
     Jimmy Johnstone , celtics greatest ever player died in march 2006 after a courageous battle with
      motor neurone disease.

A GENT  A PLAYER  A TRUE LEGEND.

• edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Past & Present Sporting LEGENDS read more......... This is for all TYPES of SPORT Contributions Welcome:
        JIMMY ( JINKY ) JOHNSTONE          1944 - 2006  GLASGOW CELTIC FC   1962 - 1975  = 130 goals HONOURS 1 european cup , 9 scottish league championships , 4 scottish cups , 5 league cups , 23 scotland caps.  Jimmy Johnstone , celtics greatest ever player died in march 2006 after a courageous battle with   motor neurone disease. A GENT  A PLAYER  A TRUE LEGEND.  
    Posted by -JINKY-

great post m8 some good players to come out of Celtic FC nice choice look forward to seeing the pic

good luck against arsenal m8

dtw