You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

tips for playing ace king

hi everyone.

i am continuously overvalueing ace-king.
if the flop was to come with a single ace or king i will often raise my opponent but if it goes to the turn or the river i see most of my chips going into the middle.

any help?

thanks, tom

Comments

• edited August 2009
    In Response to tips for playing ace king:
    hi everyone. i am continuously overvalueing ace-king. if the flop was to come with a single ace or king i will often raise my opponent but if it goes to the turn or the river i see most of my chips going into the middle. any help? thanks, tom
    Posted by tstimpson
    Hi
    It depends how you normally play AK, do you call of do you raise, if so how much.
    This is a really wide ranging question, with multiple answers.
    Idoesnt help sorry
    col
  • edited August 2009
    preflop i will normal raise 2/3 times the big blind.
    flop play, if i hit my king or ace i will often bet out if first to act.
    turn, if uneventful, if i have been bet into i will raise to see where i am.
    river, if bet into again i will most probably just call
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: tips for playing ace king:
    preflop i will normal raise 2/3 times the big blind. flop play, if i hit my king or ace i will often bet out if first to act. turn, if uneventful, if i have been bet into i will raise to see where i am. river, if bet into again i will most probably just call
    Posted by tstimpson
    Hi
    One problem may be your preflop bets 2/3 times big blinds will not get rid of a lot of hands, like connecting cards, etc.
    try raising more like 4/5 times the BB,on occasions. ie mix it up.
    col
  • edited August 2009
    It depends how many opponents you are getting in the pot too. If you are only min raising i guess that u will be getting multiple callers so then its much easier to be behind even when u flop top pair or for there to be multiple draws against you. Raise bigger 4 times if you are on a table where ppl like to call a lot and if there is a raise b4 u then try reraising especially in postion where you can either take down the pot pre flop or get to the flop with only 1 opponent and you can take it on the flop a lot of times even when you miss.
  • edited August 2009
    ok thanks guys, i'll take that on board and see how it goes.

thanks again, tom
  • edited August 2009
    I usually raise about 4 times maybe more but if i get called by a pair and they hit on flop making there hand 3 of a kind. and i hit a pair, I always loose all my chips by calling there all in. is that bad play by me or is that bad luck?