You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How do you play a maniac.

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Edit: origionally made this post while peeved off so was upset and worded it wrong so re-written

Right, quick question. I recently played a maniac and just couldnt win a thing. Not only did he raise any two he hit every card he needed against the odds. Two pair crumbled to undersets, back door flushes everything.

So my question how do you manage to play someone like this it felt just impossible, i lost £40 to the guy and another lost £60. He was on NL10 with over £150.

Anyways any advice for future referance please, whil;e i go and re-build my BR again.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    these are the people you want to be playing don, easy money!

Firstly i would tighten up and only raise with top hands and if he is still in raise by more or re-raise, if you dont hit(and you need to) dont put any more in post flop unless you have a good hand. Just need to tighten up really mate and pick your spots well against them, dont start widening your range as unfortunately doesn't work
  • edited August 2010
      The answer to your question is 2 fold.

Firstly when you are playing a maniac tighten your range  and when you hit you get paid off big time. As happened to me earlier sat down at 2/4 with £1-60  and maniac joined woth £4 . He left with nothing and i had £6 when he left virtually all of it from him.

Secondly  if you are playing against someone who is running like god,making bad calls and moves and always hitting then the only thing to do is walk away. If you play you will only go on tilt trying to recover losses and start to play badly yourself and your losses will then spiral.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: How do you play a maniac.:
    these are the people you want to be playing don, easy money! Firstly i would tighten up and only raise with top hands and if he is still in raise by more or re-raise, if you dont hit(and you need to) dont put any more in post flop unless you have a good hand. Just need to tighten up really mate and pick your spots well against them, dont start widening your range as unfortunately doesn't work
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    I tried that mate, he cracked aces 4 times, and my KK got cracked by 55 by another player too :( the guy was running like god, i thought id eventually catch im but after losing half BR gave up.
  • edited August 2010
      The answer to your question is 2 fold.   Firstly when you are playing a maniac tighten your range  and when you hit you get paid off big time. As happened to me earlier sat down at 2/4 with £1-60  and maniac joined woth £4 . He left with nothing and i had £6 when he left virtually all of it from him.   Secondly  if you are playing against someone who is running like god,making bad calls and moves and always hitting then the only thing to do is walk away. If you play you will only go on tilt trying to recover losses and start to play badly yourself and your losses will then spiral.
    Posted by Talon
    Thanks talon, as said i did go on tilt. Ive recovered £15 of the losses since but a long way to crawl back yet. Not going to chase it but think a long day of multi tables i in order. Sorry i couldnt speak to you on the table or i would have but had 4 running. Doubled up on 3 of them and left and a small loss on the one you where on but seemed like a very tight table.
  • edited August 2010
      It was a tight table apart from the maniac who was in your seat before you got there. A few stations there as well but i couldnt take advantage cos i was missing a lot of flops and that only left making moves, and i try not to bluff stations.
  • edited August 2010
    flop top pair & dont fold
  • ybyb
    edited August 2010
      The answer to your question is 2 fold.   Firstly when you are playing a maniac tighten your range  and when you hit you get paid off big time. As happened to me earlier sat down at 2/4 with £1-60  and maniac joined woth £4 . He left with nothing and i had £6 when he left virtually all of it from him.   Secondly  if you are playing against someone who is running like god,making bad calls and moves and always hitting then the only thing to do is walk away. If you play you will only go on tilt trying to recover losses and start to play badly yourself and your losses will then spiral.
    Posted by Talon
    Nope the only thing to do is to keep reloading because they won't always hit their miracle cards, why would you want to leave a table against a maniac with a big stack who you supposedly have a massive edge over?
  • edited August 2010
    Ask them politely to play you heads up, then take them to the cleaners!!!!!
  • edited August 2010
    cIn Response to Re: How do you play a maniac.:
    Posted by GliterBabe
    can we play HU pretty please lol
  • edited August 2010
    cIn Response to Re: How do you play a maniac. : can we play HU pretty please lol
    Posted by N1CK
    Good luck with that :P
  • edited August 2010
    Posted by GliterBabe
    doing this is so terribly bad etiquette wise it makes me want to stab people
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: How do you play a maniac. : Good luck with that :P
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    obviously jokingly implying hes a maniac lol
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: How do you play a maniac. : doing this is so terribly bad etiquette wise it makes me want to stab people
    Posted by LOL_RAISE

this x a mirrion

there are a few classless munchkins on this site who lose a single pot to 'a lesser skilled player' and instantly demand not only heads up but also much higher stakes heads up. It's so tilting, as lol says I want to stab them in the face for being so deluded/rude/bad/clueless and if they make the 'less skilled player' leave then I want to stab them and twist the knife.