You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Inception

edited August 2010 in The Shed
*** WARNING: PROCEED NO FURTHER IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THIS MOVIE. THERE ARE SPOILERS AHEAD! ***

But, for those of you who HAVE seen the film, here's a place to discuss what you thought and to analyse the movie's hidden meanings and messages.

First of all, my review:

Second, a fascinating article from CHUD.com - a deconstruction of the film that I tend to agree with:

Finally, an interesting observation about the music:

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Film- Good if a bit mind bending at times , Pitty i watched a cam D/L but ok A9 V8 . One for the Big Screen , As in the same way the matrix was . A big screen does it justice.
    Music - I liked it but a bit soft p orn at times (no connection , honest)

• edited August 2010
    Really looking forward to this and even more so after reading James's review.

Nearest cinema's 120 miles away but might just be worth it.
  • edited August 2010

I've gotta be honest - I went to see Inception on the big screen after a couple of beers.

I really wanted to like this because I appreciate movies which make you think (just as much as I love a good old popcorn flick, can't wait for The Expendables).

However, I came away feeling it was ultimately much ado about nothing and actually too ambitious for it's own good.

For any kind of movie to truly work, and especially this type -  you really have to care about and connect with the characters and their fates, and for all the movie's good (possibly even great) intentions, this script and cast simply left me cold for the most part.

Tom Hardy is probably the pick of the bunch, Di Caprio nothing more than solid. Ellen Page and Marion Cotillard give extremely jarring performances imo (probably not helped by the script) and Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Tommy from 3rd Rock from the Sun) is hopelessly miscast.

However, having read/heard the links posted by James above, I may have to give this movie a 2nd chance - I think I may still come away with the same conclusion but I would certainly encourage anyone to give Inception a shot - it's a Hollywood Blockbuster with brains and originality, and for that we should be grateful.

Quick reviews of 2 other films I've recently seen:

A Team - A complete mess, nobody can replace Mr T and Jessica Biel looks like a skeleton - Sharlto Copley as Murdock and Patrick Wilson as the villain try their best with the two stand-out perfomances (not difficult in this shower) but nobody can save this re-make. Liam Neeson is just awful.

Karate Kid - Thumbs up. Easily the best 80's re-make of the summer. Jaden Smith simply moonwalks through his performance and Chan is definitely the man. A little too gentle in pace perhaps, but maybe all the better for it. Surprisingly understated, KK 2010 is probably missing a cathphrase or two, but this is a slow-burner which nicely hits the spot.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Inception:
    I've gotta be honest - I went to see Inception on the big screen after a couple of beers. I really wanted to like this because I appreciate movies which make you think (just as much as I love a good old popcorn flick, can't wait for The Expendables). However, I came away feeling it was ultimately much ado about nothing and actually too ambitious for it's own good. For any kind of movie to truly work, and especially this type -  you really have to care about and connect with the characters and their fates, and for all the movie's good (possibly even great) intentions, this script and cast simply left me cold for the most part. Tom Hardy is probably the pick of the bunch, Di Caprio nothing more than solid. Ellen Page and Marion Cotillard give extremely jarring performances imo (probably not helped by the script) and Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Tommy from 3rd Rock from the Sun) is hopelessly miscast. However, having read/heard the links posted by James above, I may have to give this movie a 2nd chance - I think I may still come away with the same conclusion but I would certainly encourage anyone to give Inception a shot - it's a Hollywood Blockbuster with brains and originality, and for that we should be grateful. Quick reviews of 2 other films I've recently seen: A Team - A complete mess, nobody can replace Mr T and Jessica Biel looks like a skeleton - Sharlto Copley as Murdock and Patrick Wilson as the villain try their best with the two stand-out perfomances (not difficult in this shower) but nobody can save this re-make. Liam Neeson is just awful. Karate Kid - Thumbs up. Easily the best 80's re-make of the summer. Jaden Smith simply moonwalks through his performance and Chan is definitely the man. A little too gentle in pace perhaps, but maybe all the better for it. Surprisingly understated, KK 2010 is probably missing a cathphrase or two, but this is a slow-burner which nicely hits the spot.
    Posted by JingleMa
    Interesting - I thought he brought a benign quality to the character of Arthur that strangely worked.

• edited August 2010
    Thanks for the linkage.... That chud review was amazing, think they've got it spot-on there! 
  • edited August 2010

I saw this film yesterday on a pokey little local screen. It's possible that it MAY have detracted from the film, but i doubt it. The film itself was exremely inteligent and very well acted. As with 'The Matrix' it certainly left me with 'alternate' thoughts, and i love any movie that does that; especially if it is sci-fi! So many things have become normal in the sci-fi genre, that to create something as thought provoking as Inception is a near miracle. As James has said, this is no 'put brain in neutral' film. It does require the watcher to do some thinking, and if truth be told many will hate the film because of that. All in all the film is, in my opinion, amazing and i would urge anyone and everyone to give this film a look!
    I very, very rarely leave a cinema thinking that i will definitely have to get this on dvd or blue-ray; but this is one of those times. I also hope that the version we get to see will be the same as the cinematic one. Too often i have been disappointed that the dvd version has been remade or edited. if this was done to Inception it would be a travisty and would damage the film.

ps. I will probably be thinking, and possibly dreaming, of this film for quite some time!!