You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Telling them what you do for a living....(please EVERYONE in the poker world comment!)

edited August 2010 in Poker Chat
ok I got a great book (or rather hubby has) and there is a section in it about telling people that you play poker for a living, anyway I think a lot of people look down at you and assume your a manic gambler who spends the bills and food money leaving your family in the gutter.....but as this book says it's all about how you tell em!

ok so here is the extract:

When I first started playing poker for a living in 2005, virtually everyone I talked to thought I was out of my mind. I hated it when people asked me what I did for a living.
I used to reply sheepishly, "Well, believe it or not, I actually play online poker for a living. I know, It's wierd, right? But, hey, it's paying the bills so far."

I would cringe while I said it and pray the person I was talking to wouldn't lecture me. I soon realised that a tentative reply was the exact opposite of what you want to say.

Mu advice - same as my wife's - is to say it loud and proud. It's important to believe in what you are saying. After all, if you don't make it sound like it's a good job, why would you expect anyone else to think it?

If you say with a smile on your face, "I play online poker for a living and it's the best job in the world to me", you chances of getting a favorable responce increase a hunderedfold. Rather than being the guy people are quick to make fun of, you'll be the envy of the room. Ultimately, people admire the independent spirit that it takes to strike out on your own in such a bold way, and they generally wish they had a bit more of it inside themselves.

I'll end this section as I began it, by reminding you that the man dignifies the job; the job doesn't dignify the man.

"Treat Your Poker Like A Business, Dusty Schmidt, 2009"

So one day I would like to play poker full time. At the moment I look after peoples pets and dog walk but I make just as much money playing poker and feel I have the drive to be able to be disiplined to play proper hours each day as I am currently playing poker and running pet care business equally.

I know if I told people what I did in the tentative way i would get the sarcastic smug smiles and sneaky comments behind my back so I will be loud and proud about it! hahaha

I would love to hear from everyone who has ever told people they play poker...how do you say it?...what are people's reactions?

Comments