You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

trully a bad call?

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic
OK this hand is from Monday nights ToT. Now never expected to get far and infact this was in the last 8 players. Much furher than i ever expect to get. Im on BB and SB is short stacked, i know if its folded round hes shoving any 2 cards. So i make my mind up early if thats not the case ill shove myself, if it is ill call So i made my desision before it even came to me.

The first option happens.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
 Small blind  1500.00 1500.00 7296.42
The_Don90 Big blind  3000.00 4500.00 18830.00
  Your hole cards

Fold     
 Fold     
 Fold     
 All-in  7296.42 11796.42 0.00
The_Don90 Call  5796.42 17592.84 13033.58
 Show
  • J
  • J

The_Don90 Show

Flop

Turn

River

• K

The_Don90 Win Full House, 2s and 9s 17592.84  30626.42
Ok so i never expected to be in as bad shape as i was and i got lucky. The guy gave me a mouthful of abuse. But i expected an any two shove and my stack wasnt exact that strong in its self.

Opinions

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Any pair and I'm snapping that with the same reasoning with your stack. I'd call with a very wide range there, you have 6 blinds after putting your BB in, and it costs you less than 2 blinds to call. Sure, as it turned out you were crushed, but any paint card, any suited cards, any connected cards and he probably makes the same move (unless he's a massive nit). So I'd probably call with any pair, any A or any K, maybe reasonably high suited connectors too- chances are you're not in bad shape most of the time.

At the end of the day, a call is what he wanted with jacks- he got it, and just because the outcome isn't what he wanted isn't your problem. Carry on in the knowledge you made the right play.
  • edited August 2010
    with your stacks the hands played themselves he got outdrawn tough

thats poker folks
  • edited August 2010
      Two things about this.

Firstly i think calling an all-in with 22 is probably the worst thing to do in most circumstances because at best you are racing and at worst you are a 4 to 1 dog. Your opponent will always have over cards and the chance of counterfeiting is always there.

Secondly in this situation you were being offered 2 to 1 to call with no more bets possible so in this instance it was right to call with his potential shoving range. You were unlucky to run into the over pair and he was unlucky to be outdrawn.

Remember though in general 22 is an all-in shoving hand and not an all-in calling hand.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: trully a bad call?:
      Two things about this.   Firstly i think calling an all-in with 22 is probably the worst thing to do in most circumstances because at best you are racing and at worst you are a 4 to 1 dog. Your opponent will always have over cards and the chance of counterfeiting is always there.   Secondly in this situation you were being offered 2 to 1 to call with no more bets possible so in this instance it was right to call with his potential shoving range. You were unlucky to run into the over pair and he was unlucky to be outdrawn.   Remember though in general 22 is an all-in shoving hand and not an all-in calling hand.
    Posted by Talon
    i fully agree talon which is mostly why i posted the hand after going back through my HH of the take on tikay, and the aftermath of this hand stuck out like a sore thumb. I did speak to Irishrover at the time and he said he agreed with my call but the guy went nuts, i was called so many things. Washes off my back im usualy the first to react in these situations but under the circumstances i felt it was the correct desision.
  • edited August 2010
      The main thing to remember is that the guys mistake was to be sat there with less than 3BB.Unless he had lost a big pot the hand before and gone down to this then he had not been shoving when he should have been and was waiting and being blinded down.Shoving when a small stack is about situations and not about cards, his mistake seems to be about making it about the cards.
  • edited August 2010
    thanks talon.

feel better i wasnt at fault. Id only recently moved table and he was short and wasnt defending his BB to the big stack. I looked around and didnt see many people whos blinds id uauly be able to steal my self. Luckily i was able to steal Madmoos when on the small blind then she stole irishrovers and he stole the big stacks who stole mine and Mr JJ above. Anyways thanks for the comments ive pondered on this for 2 days now and thought was there anyway i could have folded that but everything said NO! so i stand by it and glad that better and more experianced players agree with me.