You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

how did i let opponent get away

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
 Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £8.18
The_Don90 Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £13.09
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • A

Call  £0.08 £0.20 £11.04
 Fold     
Call  £0.08 £0.28 £16.84
 Call  £0.04 £0.32 £8.14
The_Don90 Raise  £0.32 £0.64 £12.77
 Raise  £0.64 £1.28 £10.40
 Fold     
 Fold     
The_Don90 Call  £0.32 £1.60 £12.45
Flop

• A

The_Don90 Bet  £1.20 £2.80 £11.25
 Call  £1.20 £4.00 £9.20
Turn

• K

The_Don90 Bet  £4.00 £8.00 £7.25
 Call  £4.00 £12.00 £5.20
River

The_Don90 All-in  £7.25 £19.25 £0.00
 Fold     
The_Don90 Muck     
The_Don90 Win  £11.10  £11.10
The_Don90 Return  £7.25 £0.90 £18.35
Not sure what happened here on the river was 100% sure my opponent was commited. The limp raise pre suggested to me JJ or QQ however i didnt feel i could fold for the price of the re-raise.

Flop has an ace im now sure im ahead, the K came down as a card i felt gave him a draw so decided to put a very strong bet in and the river came a nothing card, im sure he had QQ or JJ and im sure hes pot commited so i decide putting an all in bet to him is the best play.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    How can you be so convinced and specific he has JJ or QQ? Do you have reads on opponent that says min reraises preflop means a monster hand? Or is it an assumption without basis?

Even so, if he's sneaky enough to minraise to disguise hand strength (admittedly a basic move, but shows understanding) then he's knowledgable enough to know that QQ and JJ, whilst strong hands, lose value drastically when there's an A on board, even more so if there's a K on board too. You can't discount him having suited cards and chasing a flush, though they'd have to be low- so I can't imagine that.

How quickly did he fold? If he dumped them straight, he must have been chasing a draw- J9 clubs or something like that. If he thought, then maybe he did have QQ or JJ- and in that situation, I'd be folding them too. He was probably involved in the hand on the turn purely for the chance of straight/set. By the time you shove allin he must have worked out you have at least an ace or a king, and his single pair isn't good enough- good escape by him, make a note that he's not a complete muppet like a lot of low limit players.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: how did i let opponent get away:
    How can you be so convinced and specific he has JJ or QQ? Do you have reads on opponent that says min reraises preflop means a monster hand? Or is it an assumption without basis? Even so, if he's sneaky enough to minraise to disguise hand strength (admittedly a basic move, but shows understanding) then he's knowledgable enough to know that QQ and JJ, whilst strong hands, lose value drastically when there's an A on board, even more so if there's a K on board too. You can't discount him having suited cards and chasing a flush, though they'd have to be low- so I can't imagine that. How quickly did he fold? If he dumped them straight, he must have been chasing a draw- J9 clubs or something like that. If he thought, then maybe he did have QQ or JJ- and in that situation, I'd be folding them too. He was probably involved in the hand on the turn purely for the chance of straight/set. By the time you shove allin he must have worked out you have at least an ace or a king, and his single pair isn't good enough- good escape by him, make a note that he's not a complete muppet like a lot of low limit players.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    He slow called and folded on every street the raise was instant. He was never limping under the gun, always raising so the limp raise suggested alot to me.
  • edited August 2010
    tbh i dont like any street postflop, i wouldnt be surprised if vs most villains utg limp/min3bet you are turning your hand into a bluff and heis never folding better