You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£3.30 DYM Bubble, PP facing 3 bet shove

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic
First off a little history here.

Villain in this game has been uber aggresive right from the very start. He doubled up in the 2nd level & had been raising/3 betting at least ~70/75% of hands from most positions.

He'd doubled me up on level 3 when the blinds were 25/50. I had 88 & open raised to 175 & he min 3 bet me from the BB which I flatted. The flop came down 6 high & he bet into me for 3/4 of the pot which I shoved back into him. On that occasion he called me with AQ & missed.

About 6/7 hands prior to this (4 handed at the time) I had 88 again in the BB. He raised me from the SB & folded when I shoved all in.

I put villains range here to be any pocket pair, K10+ & any ace. This is mainly down to the fact that he was raising so much right from the start.

For the past two levels the table dynamics were that no one wanted to tangle & were just trying to get in the cash.

So does anyone make this call here or do we wait for a better spot?

Best case scenario is that I'm up against a smaller pair with worst case being that I'm up against 10 10+. fwiw, my feeling at the time is that if I made the call then I'm most likely flipping against over cards.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
 Small blind  100.00 100.00 2115.00
VILLAIN Big blind  200.00 300.00 3630.00
  Your hole cards

silentbob Raise  600.00 900.00 3100.00
 Fold     
 Fold     
VILLAIN All-in  3630.00 4530.00 0.00
silentbob ???    

Comments

• edited August 2010
    You're playing dym's so i'm guessing u undastand d strategy, u dnt wanna race, esp on d bubble, ur comfortable, so its an easy pass. however if he's constantly 3bettin, why raise in the 1st place?
  • edited August 2010
    fold and open smaller
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: £3.30 DYM Bubble, PP facing 3 bet shove:
    You're playing dym's so i'm guessing u undastand d strategy, u dnt wanna race, esp on d bubble, ur comfortable, so its an easy pass. however if he's constantly 3bettin, why raise in the 1st place?
    Posted by SHANXTA
    I raised because it's 4 handed & I've got a reasonable pair in my hand. Surely you're not advocating just limping here? Yes the guy has been raising/3 betting a lot but with the blinds getting bigger what hands are you waiting for to make a raise with then?

Surely in this spot it's raise or fold?
  • edited August 2010
    fold and open smaller
    Posted by Eagle26
    Min open raise? Is that not just asking for trouble?
  • edited August 2010
    Fold IMO, you will still be comfortable in 2nd.

I fold 99 pre-flop UTG against a maniac on the BB who's sharing the chip lead with me on the bubble of a DYM. 99 isn't good enough to risk busting out while you're in a postion of safety.

BTW, the two short stacks would have been shouting 'Call Bob, Call!' at their monitors while you made your decision.

• edited August 2010
    Save yourself headaches on the bubble.  

The game should be much more shove / fold.  Either option would have worked fine in ur scenario.  I personally would have folded and saved myself a few chips and let the 2 short stacks continue to sweat it out.

If they weren't so short though, I don't mind the shove as it puts others on the backfoot when playing the bubble.
  • edited August 2010

I think you played it fine. You're showing decent strength UTG, still leaving 3100 chips behind and got your answer.

Fold.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: £3.30 DYM Bubble, PP facing 3 bet shove : Min open raise? Is that not just asking for trouble?
    Posted by silentbob
    dont minraise, make it anywhere around 450/500 it does exactly the same job as opening for 600 and your saving chips.
  • edited August 2010
    id rather open shove, stop the re-raise in the first place.

As played id fold
  • edited August 2010
    id rather open shove, stop the re-raise in the first place. As played id fold
    Posted by The_Don90
    lol gurantee you dont, not sure if i am but correct decision due to it being DYM
  • edited August 2010
      The key to DYMs is risk avoidance and getting your chips above the right level. In a DYM the all important number is 3000 chips. This is the average stack on the bubble.

In this situation the villain is the chip leader with you closely behind , which leaves 2 shorter stacks on the table.And if i have worked it out correctly the 2 shot stacks have about the same amount.The 2 short stacks will be folding a lot in these circumstances hoping for a confrontation that doesnt involve them so they can cash ( with 10-11 BB they are not desperate yet).The 1 player on the table you do not want to get involved with is the chip leader and him with you.With the blinds at this levelk it is bully the shortstack time and make them call for their tourny preflop.You also have position on the chip leader 3 out of every 4 hands which you should be thinking about.

As to your play on this hand i do not like it one bit. By putting in a raise you have opened yourself up to a reraise from the chip leader.With this hand in this situation you should either open shove or fold to make them have the difficult decisions not you.And personally i would favour the fold because do you really want to be racing for your tournament life when a simple fold leaves you in a brilliant position.
  • edited August 2010
    By the looks you have 3700 before the action gets to you, in this situation I'm basically ready for the next game as his should be over fairly soon. Also with this stack I would only be playing AA/KK and maybe QQ.
  • edited August 2010
    "Also with this stack I would only be playing AA/KK and maybe QQ"

This is why dym's r auwful! lol.
  • edited August 2010
    "Also with this stack I would only be playing AA/KK and maybe QQ" This is why dym's r auwful! lol.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    That's why I don't play them anymore ;)
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: £3.30 DYM Bubble, PP facing 3 bet shove : lol gurantee you dont, not sure if i am but correct decision due to it being DYM
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    ie changed my game alot recently, as a result i garentee i do. 2 weeks ago id be the idiot who called.
  • edited August 2010
    OK, well I'm a little embarrassed to say that I did make the call. I know why I made the call & it wasn't for poker reasons. Unfortunately every now and again my brain disengages itself from the rest of my body & I do stupid things.

As it was he had AQ & hit on the river but thems the breaks. Stupid thing for me to do so nh & move on to the next one.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: £3.30 DYM Bubble, PP facing 3 bet shove : I raised because it's 4 handed & I've got a reasonable pair in my hand. Surely you're not advocating just limping here? Yes the guy has been raising/3 betting a lot but with the blinds getting bigger what hands are you waiting for to make a raise with then? Surely in this spot it's raise or fold?
    Posted by silentbob
    yeah, and if the other big stack is a maniac and u dnt feel its possible to control the dym urself, just fold til d money