You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ASK TK - can you settle a bet. Set = trips?

edited August 2010 in Poker Chat
My poker pal says that a "Set" is if you have a  pocket pair and get the third card on the board, that is a set. But, if you match a single card with two on the board, that is "Trips". I say that a set and trips are the same.
Who wins?    Best regards, PHRANK.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    In Response to ASK TK - can you settle a bet. Set = trips?:
    My poker pal says that a "Set" is if you have a  pocket pair and get the third card on the board, that is a set. But, if you match a single card with two on the board, that is "Trips". I say that a set and trips are the same. Who wins?    Best regards, PHRANK.
    Posted by Phrank
    your m8...i think
     they are the same tho
  • edited August 2010
    Most experienced poker players would agree with your pal.
  • edited August 2010

If in doubt.......talk to Phrank :)
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: ASK TK - can you settle a bet. Set = trips?:
    Posted by MereNovice
    Mere talks sense :)

Your m8 is right!!
  • ACAACA
    edited August 2010
    does 3 pair beat 2 pair

• edited August 2010
    My poker pal says that a "Set" is if you have a  pocket pair and get the third card on the board, that is a set. But, if you match a single card with two on the board, that is "Trips". I say that a set and trips are the same. Who wins?    Best regards, PHRANK.
    Posted by Phrank
    Hi Phrank

Your friend is correct
  • edited August 2010
    Your friend is right
  • edited August 2010
    I have just had a Shet that was on the Turn.

Do I Win £5?
  • edited August 2010
    does 3 pair beat 2 pair
    Posted by ACA
    not in poker--
    unless 1 of the 3 pair is higher than any of the 2 pair cards hand--
  • ACAACA
    edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: ASK TK - can you settle a bet. Set = trips? : not in poker-- unless 1 of the 3 pair is higher than any of the 2 pair cards hand--
    Posted by batman4

u sure
  • edited August 2010
    dont talk about sets,i walked into 666 4 times today!!!!!!!
    once i had 333 arghhhhh!!
    done bye!
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to ASK TK - can you settle a bet. Set = trips? : your m8...i think  they are the same tho
    Posted by stokefc
    they are the same its whoever has the highest three of a kind

hence     high card
                 one pair
                 two pair
                 three of a kind
                 straight
                 flush
                 full house
                 four of a kind
                 straight flush
                 royal flush
  • edited August 2010
    Posted by MereNovice
    Well you learn something every day.

I just thought they were different names for the same ranking. Such as a tight or full house.

Cheers guys

Paul
  • edited August 2010
    Pocket Pair plus Card on Flop,Turn,River = A Set
    One card in hand plus 2 on Flop,Turn,River = Trips

Give me any of them i wont complain ;)
  • edited August 2010

Sorry Phrank - your mate is 100% correct.

I never realised the difference for many years, but when I began on PNL, & started mixing up the two expressions, I got well & truly mullered by the Poker Community. Because I was wrong.

A set & trips are different things.

And so, the expressions" "setted up" or "tripped up" convey to viewers & readers different things, because we know that in the former, they held a PP, & in the latter, they held a non-pair but the Board paired. From that we can get a better feel for how a hand panned out.

"Cement" & "concrete" are different, too, as are "roof" & "ceiling", "tiles" & "slates", and, most importantly, "trains" & "locomotives".

Forget all the others if you wish, but remember the last one. If you are amongst train-spotters* & make that error, you'll be in a world of hurt.

* Train-spotters are people who make notes of Locomotive numbers. Weird how we use words, eh?
  • edited August 2010
    Posted by Phrank
    This could be read as asking if the hand values are equivalent, which they are, at turn over. 

However, a set is much more valuable since you can get more out of your opponent as they will not be able to put you on a set as easily as they could trips. 

Let's take a trip to value town?  I'd rather take a set!
  • edited August 2010
    I'd rather take a set!

That would be a train set then? ;)
  • edited August 2010
    Sorry Phrank - your mate is 100% correct. I never realised the difference for many years, but when I began on PNL, & started mixing up the two expressions, I got well & truly mullered by the Poker Community. Because I was wrong. A set & trips are different things. And so, the expressions" "setted up" or "tripped up" convey to viewers & readers different things, because we know that in the former, they held a PP, & in the latter, they held a non-pair but the Board paired. From that we can get a better feel for how a hand panned out. "Cement" & "concrete" are different, too, as are "roof" & "ceiling", "tiles" & "slates", and, most importantly, "trains" & "locomotives". Forget all the others if you wish, but remember the last one. If you are amongst train-spotters* & make that error, you'll be in a world of hurt. * Train-spotters are people who make notes of Locomotive numbers. Weird how we use words, eh?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks TK - he gets his fiver over a pint tomorrow. Phrank. (Was tempted to go all-in but he was so sure I settled for a fiver!)
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: ASK TK - can you settle a bet. Set = trips? : they are the same its whoever has the highest three of a kind hence     high card              one pair              two pair              three of a kind              straight              flush              full house              four of a kind              straight flush              royal flush
    Posted by lucky77777

You missed one mate 7-2.......... any 7-2 you have wins regardless of what else goes down :)
  • edited August 2010
    Sorry Phrank - your mate is 100% correct. I never realised the difference for many years, but when I began on PNL, & started mixing up the two expressions, I got well & truly mullered by the Poker Community. Because I was wrong. A set & trips are different things. And so, the expressions" "setted up" or "tripped up" convey to viewers & readers different things, because we know that in the former, they held a PP, & in the latter, they held a non-pair but the Board paired. From that we can get a better feel for how a hand panned out. "Cement" & "concrete" are different, too, as are "roof" & "ceiling", "tiles" & "slates", and, most importantly, "trains" & "locomotives". Forget all the others if you wish, but remember the last one. If you are amongst train-spotters* & make that error, you'll be in a world of hurt. * Train-spotters are people who make notes of Locomotive numbers. Weird how we use words, eh?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Talking about trips, just got back from Hertfordshire. Sorry, talking about sets, one of my many poker books says that when one flops a set one should never worry about your oppo having a bigger set. If both players have a pocket pair set over set will only happen about one in 100 times - good odds  - go for broke! What do you think TK?