You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What would you do? And why?

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Middle stage of last night's ToT. 12 minute blinds. I'd recently doubled up to get to closish to average chips (I think, maybe a bit below actually). Made the raise from the SB and suspected the re-raise was bullying me away from stealing the BB. What would you do? And why?
bandini Small blind  75.00 75.00 3322.50
danno49 Big blind  150.00 225.00 5793.75
  Your hole cards
  • A

MonkeyF Fold     
stokefc Fold     
On_The_Rip Fold     
cookie83 Fold     
bandini Raise  375.00 600.00 2947.50
danno49 Raise  1200.00 1800.00 4593.75

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Fold he's not folding to your shove enough.
  • edited August 2010
    Blinds 150/75 so almost 20bb left.So with your stack calling 1200 not really on, so shove or fold.Me fold A10 not that strong wait for a better situation.
  • edited August 2010
    Everyone's a winner!

Except for me. Because I did the following. And got cruelly rivered yet again (I know it's not just me).

I think I possibly did the right thing because I just about did have fold equity and had pretty much guessed that he wasn't on a monster. Was I wrong to even accept a 50/50 here? Was I wrong to put my tourney on line for a chance of surging up towards the leaders? Was he wrong to call? I genuinely don't know the answers to any of these questions and would be interested to hear opinions.

Cheers - bandini
    bandini All-in  2947.50 4747.50 0.00
    danno49 Raise  4095.00 8842.50 498.75
    danno49 Unmatched bet  2047.50 6795.00 2546.25
    bandini Show
    • A

danno49 Show

Flop

Turn

River

danno49 Win Three 6s 6795.00  9341.25
  • edited August 2010
    you say cruelly rivered it was a race over 5 cards and he was ahead with you being the a slight dog, if you had done the correct thing and folded your AT we would not have this post. The flop was cruel to you but in my opinion to persue was rather rash as so many hands could be dominating you before you look a PPs.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: What would you do? And why?:
    you say cruelly rivered it was a race over 5 cards and he was ahead with you being the a slight dog, if you had done the correct thing and folded your AT we would not have this post. The flop was cruel to you but in my opinion to persue was rather rash as so many hands could be dominating you before you look a PPs.
    Posted by waynecure
    Hey, I know I went in underdog over 5. But it was a cruel river? Surely that's true?

And the flop was extremely generous to me? Couldn't have been kinder in all reality? Don't get you there mate? I could possibly have taken it away on the flop if I'd called?

It was rash though, I readily admit that. And I need to contemplate on my decision for sure. I was interested to see if anybody else would have done the same. It was a small straw poll but 100% disagreed. Like I said I need to contemplate. I'm still learning this game.
  • edited August 2010
    it was cruel- it's always horrible when it swings your way only to be stolen at the end. But it wasn't an unfair river- the best hand when the money went in held up, statistically speaking.

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: What would you do? And why? : Hey, I know I went in underdog over 5. But it was a cruel river? Surely that's true? And the flop was extremely generous to me? Couldn't have been kinder in all reality? Don't get you there mate? I could possibly have taken it away on the flop if I'd called? It was rash though, I readily admit that. And I need to contemplate on my decision for sure. I was interested to see if anybody else would have done the same. It was a small straw poll but 100% disagreed. Like I said I need to contemplate. I'm still learning this game.
    Posted by bandini
    I am not ripping you m8 i am not a good enough player to do that, it is  just my thinking on the hand which maybe right or totally wrong..... you did post the thread for peoples opinions which I gave without malace intented.
  • edited August 2010
    Everyone's a winner! Except for me. Because I did the following. And got cruelly rivered yet again (I know it's not just me). I think I possibly did the right thing because I just about did have fold equity and had pretty much guessed that he wasn't on a monster. Was I wrong to even accept a 50/50 here? Was I wrong to put my tourney on line for a chance of surging up towards the leaders? Was he wrong to call? I genuinely don't know the answers to any of these questions and would be interested to hear opinions. Cheers - bandini bandini All-in   2947.50 4747.50 0.00 danno49 Raise   4095.00 8842.50 498.75 danno49 Unmatched bet   2047.50 6795.00 2546.25 bandini Show 10 A       danno49 Show 6 6       Flop     2 5 10       Turn     4       River     6       danno49 Win Three 6s 6795.00   9341.25
    Posted by bandini

Hello.

Couple of questions, 

1)what tourny was this?

2) what was the buyin?

3) how many paid?

4) how many left?

5) how had the villain played up until now, did you see him go to showdown at all? (if so how?)

6) Why do you think you had fold equity with your reshove?

7) Did you expect him to call your shove with a small pp such as 66 etc ?

8) what was the average stack in the tournament at this point?
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: What would you do? And why? : I am not ripping you m8 i am not a good enough player to do that, it is  just my thinking on the hand which maybe right or totally wrong..... you did post the thread for peoples opinions which I gave without malace intented.
    Posted by waynecure
    Fair enough man. I wasn't having a go at you, just debating your points.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: What would you do? And why? : Hello. Couple of questions,  1)what tourny was this? 2) what was the buyin? 3) how many paid? 4) how many left? 5) how had the villain played up until now, did you see him go to showdown at all? (if so how?) 6) Why do you think you had fold equity with your reshove? 7) Did you expect him to call your shove with a small pp such as 66 etc ? 8) what was the average stack in the tournament at this point?
    Posted by beaneh
    Mostly guess work tbh, but;

1) ToT, 12 min blinds.
    2) £10
    3) About 50 I think
    4) About 25 I think
    5) He'd doubled me up with something fairly marginal the round before
    6) It was still a sizable chunk of his stack to call off?
    7) No, to be honest. I didn't have that much time to think
    8) A bit above me I think

Just answering these questions tell me I did make a mistake actually.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: What would you do? And why? : Mostly guess work tbh, but; 1) ToT, 12 min blinds. 2) £10 3) About 50 I think 4) About 25 I think 5) He'd doubled me up with something fairly marginal the round before 6) It was still a sizable chunk of his stack to call off? 7) No, to be honest. I didn't have that much time to think 8) A bit above me I think Just answering these questions tell me I did make a mistake actually.
    Posted by bandini

I asked for the extra info to have a go. Will see what I can do :)
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: What would you do? And why? : I asked for the extra info to have a go. Will see what I can do :)
    Posted by beaneh
    lol, by all means have a go.

Cheers man, it's appreciated. You make a lot of sense in The Clinic.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: What would you do? And why? : lol, by all means have a go. Cheers man, it's appreciated. You make a lot of sense in The Clinic.
    Posted by bandini

can you try and expand on answer 5, what 'marginal' thing did he do that doubled you up, making hand histories as exact as possible is very helpful :)
  • edited August 2010
    i think it wud take a pretty solid player to make me raise/fold A 10 Sb-Bb.  

u cud be exploited
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: What would you do? And why? : can you try and expand on answer 5, what 'marginal' thing did he do that doubled you up, making hand histories as exact as possible is very helpful :)
    Posted by beaneh
    Beginning to regret asking now :-)

Hand history keeps timing out on me when I try to find it. It maybe wasn't "marginal" due to my short stack at the time. It was maybe kjo to my A5o or something similar.

I was wearing an adidas hoody, lil wayne was playing and it was a drizzly rain outside if that helps? :-)

I've actually forgotten what the original question was.
  • edited August 2010
    i think it wud take a pretty solid player to make me raise/fold A 10 Sb-Bb.   u cud be exploited
    Posted by hotpotato
    That was the original question.

And exactly how I felt at the time.
  • edited August 2010
    i think it wud take a pretty solid player to make me raise/fold A 10 Sb-Bb.   u cud be exploited
    Posted by hotpotato

surely a pretty solid player putting  in 1/3 of his stack is going to have a strong enough range with few enough folds that you cant be shoving this for a profit.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: What would you do? And why? : surely a pretty solid player putting  in 1/3 of his stack is going to have a strong enough range with few enough folds that you cant be shoving this for a profit.
    Posted by beaneh
    u agree then?

im sayin wud only raise/fold a solid player cos they are always gonna 3bet/call specially BvB. & a solid player doesnt have enough air to make a 4bet shove show a profit.

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: What would you do? And why? : u agree then? im sayin wud only raise/fold a solid player cos they are always gonna 3bet/call specially BvB. & a solid player doesnt have enough air to make a 4bet shove show a profit.
    Posted by hotpotato

yes sorry misunderstood your original post.