You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bet on the grand final!

edited August 2010 in The Sky Poker Tour
Hey guys,

I know there has been some murmuring about Sky Bet running a book for various SPT events, well i'm pleased to announce we've finally got one up for the SPT grand final in Nottingham!

To have a bet or if you're just interested, click here

enjoy!

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Are there plans to add more players to the book?
  • edited August 2010
    I'm not 100% sure, let me try and find out for you but that may be your lot.
  • edited August 2010
    Doesnt help everybody elses confidence who is playing, could of at least had an 'other' option
  • edited August 2010

So......any smaller BR players amongst that lot then?

looks like Sky Poker are really discriminating against the bread and butter players on this site with regard to this 'open to all' tournament at DTD next month.

With their stance on Rebuy sats and now this.....I for one aint impressed.

Yours, disgruntled, west midlands.
  • edited August 2010

In reply to Alan.

I think there's a slight disconnect or misunderstanding here.

There are PLENTY of "smaller BR" players in that list. They are not, as I suspect you have assumed, "Direct Buy-Ins", they are "Direct Qualifiers", namely, the first three in each SPT leg.

It's just a "fun" market, & nothing too deep should be read into it.

It is a LAST-LONGER between the players who qualified DIRECT in SPT Live Events. It is not an overall betting Market

It is not possible to price up the field, as it is only currently half full, & Sky Bet have no idea who will yet qualify, or buy-in.

The (full-field) market would move, for example, if Praz Bansi, or Rich Orford, qualified or paid in. In different directions, mind......

I'm not sure how this fun market could possibly be seen to discriminate against anyone, or why peeps continully think Sky Poker would do such a thing.

The Grand Final is automatically open to all "Top Three" finishing positions players in each SPT Leg, & always was. That's who the players are. It has nothing to do with their Bankroll. FWIW, most of them are what I would call "regular guys".

In reply to Lewis, it's not possible to price up the "field", as the final field is not known, & won't be until the day. As such, any market would be false.

Hope that explains everything clearly.

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Bet on the grand final!:
    Doesnt help everybody elses confidence who is playing, could of at least had an 'other' option
    Posted by Gavinxxxx
    Please see my reply to Alan & Lewis, Gavin.

I'm not sure what point you are making - can you elaborate, please?
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks for the Essay Tikay :)

Well explained
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks for the Essay Tikay :) Well explained
    Posted by Gavinxxxx
    I'm not sure I had a choice. I needed, it seems, to spell it out clearly. There was not, & is not, any discrimination against anyone there.

The Page the thread links to says, in great big font, right across the top......

Highest Finisher for SPT Grand Final (from Direct Qualifiers) 
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Bet on the grand final! : I'm not sure I had a choice. I needed, it seems, to spell it out clearly. There was not, & is not, any discrimination against anyone there. The Page the thread links to says, in great big font...... Highest Finisher for SPT Grand Final (from Direct Qualifiers)  
    Posted by Tikay10
    My eyes are playing tricks on me lately, i was in a live tournament on sunday, and ended up looking stupid after announcing i had a straight flush when i indeed only had a straight (darn that spade sure looked like a club at the time lol) still won the hand though and ended up coming a tidy 2nd :)
  • edited August 2010
    In reply to Alan. I think there's a slight disconnect or misunderstanding here. There are PLENTY of "smaller BR" players in that list. They are not, as I suspect you have assumed, "Direct Buy-Ins", they are "Direct Qualifiers", namely, the first three in each SPT leg. It's just a "fun" market, & nothing too deep should be read into it. It is a LAST-LONGER between the players who qualified DIRECT in SPT Live Events. It is not an overall betting Market It is not possible to price up the field, as it is only currently half full, & Sky Bet have no idea who will yet qualify, or buy-in. The (full-field) market would move, for example, if Praz Bansi, or Rich Orford, qualified or paid in. In different directions, mind...... I'm not sure how this fun market could possibly be seen to discriminate against anyone, or why peeps continully think Sky Poker would do such a thing. The Grand Final is automatically open to all "Top Three" finishing positions players in each SPT Leg, & always was. That's who the players are. It has nothing to do with their Bankroll. FWIW, most of them are what I would call "regular guys". In reply to Lewis, it's not possible to price up the "field", as the final field is not known, & won't be until the day. As such, any market would be false. Hope that explains everything clearly.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thank you for your explanation above.

I have absolutely no problem with any player earning and fully deserving their place at the Grand Final who have received an automatic seat from their SPT legs. (mind you, top 30 from each leg would of been better IMO) :)

I also wish EVERYONE who goes the best of luck.

My beef with Sky poker is the rebuy sats which I can not for the life of me understand. I know I have fought a losing battle on this one so I am not going to bother repeating myself.

I will, however, still show my continued support, as always, for ALL the players that attend the Final but, alas for me, it will just be on the forum now.
  • edited August 2010
    lol ring up and request a price for yourself, im sure theyll give u one.

Then stick a load on urself.

Moan for the sake of moaning ne1?
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Bet on the grand final! : Thank you for your explanation above. I have absolutely no problem with any player earning and fully deserving their place at the Grand Final who have received an automatic seat from their SPT legs. (mind you, top 30 from each leg would of been better IMO) :) I also wish EVERYONE who goes the best of luck. My beef with Sky poker is the rebuy sats which I can not for the life of me understand. I know I have fought a losing battle on this one so I am not going to bother repeating myself. I will, however, still show my continued support, as always, for ALL the players that attend the Final but, alas for me, it will just be on the forum now.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Noted, Alan, but I'm not at all sure what that issue has to do with betting on Direct Qualifiers, or on the bankrolls of Direct Qualifiers, which was the matter you raised.

I do know your view on Rebuys, a view which you are perfectly entitled to hold. I know, because you make the point in almost every reply, & even in the Chat-Boxes on the Tables when we are playing poker & supposed to be chilled. But there is not anything more I can do about it. You made me aware of your view, I told you I'd send it upstairs, I did. There is no more I can do.

If you wish to pursue the point further, you need to write to any or all of the following;

Sky-Rich

Sky_Adam

Sky_Des

Sky_Bernard

That would be a far more effective way of expressing your view.

I'm genuinely sorry you will not be at the Grand Final, but I respect your position.

See you at the Tables, I hope.
  • edited August 2010
    Eh, I don't understand the problem with rebuy sats- I quite like them. I managed to get straight through in a field of 7/8 which ended up with 3 seats available to the semi- I didn't rebuy once or use an addon. People are a little more willing to gamble in a rebuy once they lose 20% or more of their starting stack, especially when it gets close to the end of the rebuy period, so if you pick your moments and your cards hold up- you can easily go into the addon period without need for rebuying. Alternatively, if you go out, don't rebuy- wait for the next opportunity, unless you're sat at a table with players you are certain you have dominated.

The rebuy nature means that even in a very small field, you can still get a good amount of seats for a small amount of players, as opposed to most other 1 per 5 or 1 per 10 seaters, which can be a lot tougher, IMO. Rebuys are (in my mind) like having a new player enter halfway, having missed out on half an hour to build up chips, whilst still contributing the same prize. Great stuff.
  • edited August 2010

as said on general chat thread...

great idea... fun idea.. but totally awful in operation.  the skybet book for this particular market has an over-round of 138%.  this is not good.  for example horseracing is usually between 110% and 120%.  skybet are normally higher than others.  this time, for every £100 they will payout they will keep a further £38.  so the odds need to improve before i suggest anyone putting their money down.

very good idea, very poor show.

• edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Bet on the grand final! : Thank you for your explanation above. I have absolutely no problem with any player earning and fully deserving their place at the Grand Final who have received an automatic seat from their SPT legs. (mind you, top 30 from each leg would of been better IMO) :) I also wish EVERYONE who goes the best of luck. My beef with Sky poker is the rebuy sats which I can not for the life of me understand. I know I have fought a losing battle on this one so I am not going to bother repeating myself. I will, however, still show my continued support, as always, for ALL the players that attend the Final but, alas for me, it will just be on the forum now.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Hi Alan

Me and you are mates so don't take this the wrong way. I know alot of people will get the wrong idea about what i'm trying to say here because people just have that kind of view about me....

At the end of the day this tournament is a £220 buyin. So if you struggle to buyin to a £5 satelite is this the tournament for you? I know i'm going to get shouted at for saying this... but if you have a small BR then can you really expect to be playing big events like this. Satelites are a great way to get into tournaments on the cheap its very good value, but its like me saying I have £5 in my bankroll, its not fair that I can't satelite into the world series main event.

These sky events are a great day/weekend out as we all know, and I like to see as many regulars there as possible. I'm not saying small BR players can't play!! I just think sometimes when an event like this comes along once a year, maybe if you really want to play it you need to stretch the purse strings a little.

Goodluck in qualifying m8, I hope to see you and many other regs there.
  • edited August 2010
    Eh, I don't understand the problem with rebuy sats- I quite like them. I managed to get straight through in a field of 7/8 which ended up with 3 seats available to the semi- I didn't rebuy once or use an addon. People are a little more willing to gamble in a rebuy once they lose 20% or more of their starting stack, especially when it gets close to the end of the rebuy period, so if you pick your moments and your cards hold up- you can easily go into the addon period without need for rebuying. Alternatively, if you go out, don't rebuy- wait for the next opportunity, unless you're sat at a table with players you are certain you have dominated. The rebuy nature means that even in a very small field, you can still get a good amount of seats for a small amount of players, as opposed to most other 1 per 5 or 1 per 10 seaters, which can be a lot tougher, IMO. Rebuys are (in my mind) like having a new player enter halfway, having missed out on half an hour to build up chips, whilst still contributing the same prize. Great stuff.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    Hi deuces...

I think I railed you when you qualified, so congratulations in doing that.
    I will try to explain my main gripe with REBUY sats for a FREEZEOUT tournament.
    Rebuys IMHO encourage loose play as if some players 'gamble' and they get stacked, they just rebuy and start again. So, a player who is total aggro with any two cards can in effect out play a more solid player by just the power of being able to continue to rebuy.
    For example, you could play solid poker and KO a player, who can then REBUY....get lucky and then KO you. In my book, that is wrong. Once you KO a player, he should be eliminated and you should know that he is one less player to worry about when trying to reach that final table prize (be it another MTT or a seat).

Regards,

Alan
  • edited August 2010
    I actually don't mind rebuy satellites because they create more seats. I'm not a fan of rebuys in general (but will play them), but hate seeing Alan cutting his nose off to spite his face on this one. With rebuys, a 5 seater sat will quite possibly yield two semi seats and you're easily good enough to get one of those. Seriously I wouldn't want your issue with the rebuy concept preventing you qualifying for an event you clearly want to be at.

I know for a fact that you win regularly on here and that (disagreeing with Flashflush) paying £5 for a sat isn't the issue, it's the chip on the shoulder with rebuys :-)
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Bet on the grand final! : Hi deuces... I think I railed you when you qualified, so congratulations in doing that. I will try to explain my main gripe with REBUY sats for a FREEZEOUT tournament. Rebuys IMHO encourage loose play as if some players 'gamble' and they get stacked, they just rebuy and start again. So, a player who is total aggro with any two cards can in effect out play a more solid player by just the power of being able to continue to rebuy. For example, you could play solid poker and KO a player, who can then REBUY....get lucky and then KO you. In my book, that is wrong. Once you KO a player, he should be eliminated and you should know that he is one less player to worry about when trying to reach that final table prize (be it another MTT or a seat). Regards, Alan
    Posted by MAXALLY
    In a way, these players create more value though by chucking more money into the prizepool, and yes, they may get lucky but a bad player is still a bad player.

I suggest you do what I always do in rebuys (advice taken from Tikay) - rebuy immediately at the start - this doubles your chipstack - nobody else tends to do this and then you can bully and you have a cushion that noone can bust you. The number of players you see hanging on with next to no chips presumably thinking you can only rebuy when busto is quite amusing!
  • edited August 2010
    OK Alan I may of got what you meant wrong... I knew you didn't like Rebuys (I think we all know that now ;-) ) I thought you meant your BR couldn't cope with keep rebuying...

Well there is no rule on having to rebuy or addon. Why don't you just play it like a freezeout. Tell yourself you are not going to rebuy, like others have said, more seats are generated through rebuys so can be good value to sit tight and pick off the 'Gamblers'.

Again, goodluck hope to see you at DTD
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Bet on the grand final! : Hi Alan  Me and you are mates so don't take this the wrong way. I know alot of people will get the wrong idea about what i'm trying to say here because people just have that kind of view about me.... At the end of the day this tournament is a £220 buyin. So if you struggle to buyin to a £5 satelite is this the tournament for you? I know i'm going to get shouted at for saying this... but if you have a small BR then can you really expect to be playing big events like this. Satelites are a great way to get into tournaments on the cheap its very good value, but its like me saying I have £5 in my bankroll, its not fair that I can't satelite into the world series main event. These sky events are a great day/weekend out as we all know, and I like to see as many regulars there as possible. I'm not saying small BR players can't play!! I just think sometimes when an event like this comes along once a year, maybe if you really want to play it you need to stretch the purse strings a little. Goodluck in qualifying m8, I hope to see you and many other regs there.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Charles.....where do I start on this one?

Yes, everyone realises how big a tournament this is and I genuinely do not begrudge anyone who has the BR to buy in direct as the option is there and should be used.

The whole point of sats IMO is to give an opportunity to the smaller BR players a fair chance to play in a big tournament.

I am always going to fight the corner of the smaller BR player on here and for you to 'sugest' that this Final would not be right for those is totally ludicrous and well out of order IMHO.

Like the WSOP (where you could qualify for as little as £5 BTW!), it is an event where you could be competing with the best players around which is a marvellous concept which you do not get in any other sport I can think of.

A point that has been said a thousand times before but is definitely worth repeating in this case is......A players BR balance does not necessarily reflect a players ability.

In a world that is full of those who have, and those who have not, poker sometimes lets them two worlds meet.

And yes, we are mates, and hopefully you will understand my point of view.

Regards,

Alan

• edited August 2010
    Hey, you did indeed rail me at the end of that, thanks :)

The thing I see with rebuys is, it's all about how you view them- and you view them the same way I do, up to a point. The difference is, I see that as positive to my chances rather than negative. If you have a player who is willing to gamble with less than premium hands, your odds of getting your money in good with premium hands AND getting paid improves, thus so do your chances. If they then rebuy, that's another 1/5 of a seat you're playing for, not to mention you now double their chip stack.

They rebuy for 3000, you have 6000. You have another race, and they suck out on you this time- you still have your 3k starting stack, and the prizepool has increased. Alternatively, more often than not they won't suck out on you, you've now tripled up and there's potentially 2/5 of a seat extra up for grabs if they're that loose.

The rebuy is good all round IMO, my bankroll is tiny and this event is certainly out of my reach- as are things like buying in direct to primo and 8k BH. I kinda understand your viewpoint, but I truly believe if you're disciplined enough to avoid rebuying at all, and instead move on to the next satellite, a rebuy tournament offers low BR players a BETTER chance, not worse of achieving their goal.

How about offering a mixture? For every rebuy satellite, there's a standard freezeout- I'd actually love to see rebuy satellites possible for primo and other big tournaments too, as long as there are standard ones to avoid arguments.
  • edited August 2010

In Response to Re: Bet on the grand final! : Charles.....where do I start on this one? Yes, everyone realises how big a tournament this is and I genuinely do not begrudge anyone who has the BR to buy in direct as the option is there and should be used. The whole point of sats IMO is to give an opportunity to the smaller BR players a fair chance to play in a big tournament. I am always going to fight the corner of the smaller BR player on here and for you to ' sugest' that this Final would not be right for those is totally ludicrous and well out of order IMHO. Like the WSOP (where you could qualify for as little as £5 BTW!), it is an event where you could be competing with the best players around which is a marvellous concept which you do not get in any other sport I can think of. A point that has been said a thousand times before but is definitely worth repeating in this case is......A players BR balance does not necessarily reflect a players ability. In a world that is full of those who have, and those who have not, poker sometimes lets them two worlds meet. And yes, we are mates, and hopefully you will understand my point of view. Regards, Alan
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Yes I do understand your point and 100% agree with everything you said!

There just seems to be a bizzarre thing at skypoker, so many players want the small buyin satelites for tournaments which is all well and good, but nobody seems to play them. I'm not sure how this happens, 1 week the forum is full of threads saying we need cheaper satelites, then the next week they are saying none of them are running lol.

p.s WHEN you satelite in meet me at the bar you can buy me a drink with the money you saved by sateliting in.

EDIT: - Me being a bit slow iv just picked up on what you interpreted my post to be about!... I was at no point saying smaller BR players are not the same standard as larger BR players, I think we all know that.  Yes GENERALLY there is corrolation with that but by no means is that a written rule.

All I was trying to say was as its a bigger buyin tournament, you may need to spend a bit more to satelite than you would in other events.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Bet on the grand final! : Yes I do understand your point and 100% agree with everything you said! There just seems to be a bizzarre thing at skypoker, so many players want the small buyin satelites for tournaments which is all well and good, but nobody seems to play them. I'm not sure how this happens, 1 week the forum is full of threads saying we need cheaper satelites, then the next week they are saying none of them are running lol. p.s WHEN you satelite in meet me at the bar you can buy me a drink with the money you saved by sateliting in.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    I'll do better. I'll buy you both a drink at SPT.

"Pot of tea for three, please".
  • edited August 2010
    Hi guys, nice odds there on some of the guys, but its no good as im going to win it lol ;)

I played in the 1st SPT at DTD , i won a seat that time, and i just come back to skypoker as i stoped playing online for some time, i came back last week and played the £24 sat for the SPT and came 2nd and won a seat!

as for rebuys they are there for all to play, to try and win a seat for alot less than the buyin, if you dont like rebuys then dont play them and pay the £24 and play the sim and try and win a seat.

i played in the gutshot open in london and came in 10th that was also £220 buyin, dont play so much online any more, i try and get out once aweek to play live poker,

can not wait for this game at DTD

ill be the one with the old skypoker top on that we got in the 1st SPT at DTD, ( my lucky top) lol

last longer anyone??
  • edited August 2010
    Played the rebuy last night. 4 Entrants yielded 2 seats. After the hour I took the decision to add-on as I knew the worst that could happen was finishing 3rd and losing 40p. In the end I got through for a tenner - result. Shame I played like a donk in the semi.
  • edited August 2010
    i think rebuys are great value personally, do you know at any stage whether you will be able to give me a price on winning the tourney or reaching the final table etc. Would I be allowed to bet on this or friends only.

thanks
  • edited August 2010
    hi guys is there a lastlonger book, done this before and it adds a bit more fun to the over-all game, ??