You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Was play reckless?

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Myself I am happy enough with my play on this hand, will explain in a mo but after a debate with another player later whom observed the hand felt my play was reckless... to resolve this your opions please.

The XXX in question was only playing premium hands I had noticed, I was in late position with KJ so my standard raise into the pot. XXX called and with their position felt they had AT/AJ/AQ with AK or a PP would have expected a 3bet. XXX bet into me on the flop I was sure it was just a probbing bet so reraised wanting to take the pot down there and then, the call was unexpected and puzzling if not a worry. The poker gods were looking down on me and hit the turn the call to xxx bet was a must now due to pot size ect.

My read was right so in my view trying to take the hand down was not reckless.... you may now rip me to bits
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xxx Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £23.87
KELLY1954 Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £24.31
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • J

waynecure Raise  £1.20 £1.65 £28.80
DOHHHHHHH Fold     
xxxCall  £1.05 £2.70 £22.82
KELLY1954 Fold     
Flop

MrsNit Bet  £2.03 £4.73 £20.79
waynecure Raise  £8.79 £13.52 £20.01
xxx Call  £6.76 £20.28 £14.03
Turn

• K

xxx All-in  £14.03 £34.31 £0.00
waynecure Call  £14.03 £48.34 £5.98
xxx Show
  • J
  • A

waynecure Show
  • K
  • J

River

waynecure Win Two Pairs, Kings and 7s £46.54  £52.52

Comments

• edited August 2010
    My reaction to this hand last night.....lol

• edited August 2010

I wait in antisipation for pending to be approved lol

• edited August 2010
    I dont mind it tbf depends what your plan is if you dont hit? if he checks to you and you do hit

worked out this time as you hit but depends how you would play it when you miss on the turn as no doubt you will miss more then you hit here.

Suprised opponent flat called your re-raise? but then again if you missed couldnt really call turn. think 6 of one half a dozen the other. think your play is correct and got lucky with turn, opponent has obviously played correctly to some extent also. although you both could have gave up at certain points
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Was play reckless?:
    I dont mind it tbf depends what your plan is if you dont hit? if he checks to you and you do hit worked out this time as you hit but depends how you would play it when you miss on the turn as no doubt you will miss more then you hit here. Suprised opponent flat called your re-raise? but then again if you missed couldnt really call turn. think 6 of one half a dozen the other. think your play is correct and got lucky with turn, opponent has obviously played correctly to some extent also. although you both could have gave up at certain points
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    The flat call I could not work out, I expected a fold or an all in..... after this had no idea where i was.
  • edited August 2010
    why raise so much as a bluff, betting £5.50 would of got the same result and make your bluffs cheaper.
  • edited August 2010
    Good raise preflop, then xxx makes decent 3/4 bet into pot, at this stage I would probably just fold as any raise is a pure bluff and you might be reraised or even called like here. Also if you're gonna reraise I think £6.50 does the same job and saves you a little cash. On the turn xxx has less than a pot sized bet left so will never fold so you were very lucky in actually hitting the one card you needed as you were just 16% to win after the flop.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Was play reckless?:
    Good raise preflop, then xxx makes decent 3/4 bet into pot, at this stage I would probably just fold as any raise is a pure bluff and you might be reraised or even called like here. Also if you're gonna reraise I think £6.50 does the same job and saves you a little cash. On the turn xxx has less than a pot sized bet left so will never fold so you were very lucky in actually hitting the one card you needed as you were just 16% to win after the flop.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Without doubt very lucky but my point is I was convinced xxx had missed the flop, you have a point on the raise size I will agree to that.