You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Got some stick for this move. Would like opinions

short stacked with 917.50 on 40/80 blinds. I have the button and everyone has folded to me. I have 10J I raised 4 BB and got reraised all in. With only 8 BB's I made the call and spiked the river against AK.

I grant the other player was unlucky, but was it sucjh a terrible play by me? At the point I made the raise I had decided I had to call anything that happened behind. Should I just have gone all in from the button?

Hand History #279574484 (21:27 11/08/2010)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
SB Small blind  40.00 40.00 2992.50
BB Big blind  80.00 120.00 7840.00
  Your hole cards
  • J

Fold     
Fold     
Fold     
luvBWFC Raise  320.00 440.00 917.50
SB All-in  2992.50 3432.50 0.00
BBFold     
luvBWFC All-in  917.50 4350.00 0.00
SB Unmatched bet  1795.00 2555.00 1795.00
SB Show
  • A
  • K

luvBWFC Show
  • J

Flop

Turn

• Q

River

luvBWFC Win Pair of 10s 2555.00  2555.00

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Yeah not a fan either, you have commited a 3rd of your chips so your pretty commited and not folding might aswell go all in. although with j10 would fold in this spot still got a couple of rounds you can afford to wait on a hand and when you find a hand commit pre as can get people of hands. Would have preferred if you went all in pre- rather then raise call here, although i would fold and wait a couple of rounds as you have 10 bb still
  • edited August 2010
    What range are you waiting for? I don't particularly like going in with weak aces, cos u end up dominated if you get called. Are you waiting for a pp or A10+?
  • edited August 2010
    right with 10 bb + would wait for 66+ . a10+ even KQ suited but these are all if no calls in front

when get to -8 would start shoving quite wide any pp or k or ace

hard to say really as i dont set specific guidelines but would only go all in j10 last resort say 5 bb really, but thats just me. not the worst if you go all in pre j10, but wouldnt commit and call either shove or fold
  • edited August 2010
    Really hate this play, you have over 15 BB's and with this stack you are mainly looking to re-shove over weak raises and maybe make weak raises with AA/KK/AK hoping to get raised by a bigger stack at which point you press the all-in button. By raising 4x here you leave 11 BB's behind and tbh should snap fold imo as you are never winning and will be very lucky to even have live cards like here.

Also as you have 15 BB's you are still way off open-shove time so should simply fold J10 on the button and wait for next hand, with this stack the play is very automatic there is no need trying to get involved when any raise basically means you cannot fold.
  • edited August 2010

917.5 / 80 <> over 15. It's 11.5

• edited August 2010
    10.5 roughly i thought ;o)
  • edited August 2010
    ur description is a little confusing, u say u only had 917.5 left then made a raise but the hand id shows u raised 320 and when opponent shoved u still had 917.5 which u then called off (11.5 bb) so at start off hand u had 1237.5 which is over 15bb.

what i would say is ur preflp raise is a litttle big (4bb which is 1/3 of stack) thus comitting u slightly to hand although if u were to fold u still have over 10 bigs, which can give u another round or 2 to find spot and get money in.

a few questions i would ask myself is what are u wanting from the hand, do u want a caller, do u just want to pinch the blinds, do u want to gamble.

with the 4x raise if u get flatted what would u do? as pot would be 800 and u have 900, would u be hoping to hit or do u give up.

i feel a 3x bb raise pre is fine and any resistance i would fold still leaving me with 1000 chips then its easy as ur at allin or fold mode and also the pot isnt as bigso u dont feel comitted

the other way is just to jam it in pre, easier to shove first than call altho im not a fan coz usually means u dont want caller as hand is weak with so many bb in ur stack but even a weaker hand will get thru at times coz many dont want to call with weak aces or low pairs.

i feel u played the hand horribly from start to finish got a result but theres no need for ur opponent to give u stick, prob only coz he lost, u had 2 live cards which makes u an underdog but not a huge 1 ur gonna win roughly 1 in 3.

regarding ur range all i will say is it is easier to shove ur stack in middle with 56 than it is to call a push with 56
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Got some stick for this move. Would like opinions:
    917.5 / 80 < /> over 15. It's 11.5
    Posted by luvBWFC
    this is after u have bet 320 on the button, add 320 to 917.5 then u have the amount u started the hand with
  • edited August 2010
    917.5 / 80 < /> over 15. It's 11.5
    Posted by luvBWFC
    917.5 + 320 =1237.5, divide this figure by 80 gives 15.5.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Got some stick for this move. Would like opinions : 917.5 + 320 =1237.5, divide this figure by 80 gives 15.5.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Doh!

Out of interest, is it 10 BB's or the cost of 10 circuits (BB + SB + any antes)?
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Got some stick for this move. Would like opinions : Doh! Out of interest, is it 10 BB's or the cost of 10 circuits (BB + SB + any antes)?
    Posted by luvBWFC
    For me it's 10 Big blinds, when I get to this I just start looking for spots to shove.
  • edited August 2010
    4x folding would be worse than 4x calling imo lol
  • edited August 2010
    why make it 320 it the 1st place, either make it like ~220 and fold to a shove, or just ship it pre, either are much better options imo.

And why dont u like shipping it wiv an ace? u realise ace high beats jack high?
  • edited August 2010
    why make it 320 it the 1st place, either make it like ~220 and fold to a shove, or just ship it pre, either are much better options imo. And why dont u like shipping it wiv an ace? u realise ace high beats jack high?
    Posted by SHANXTA
    J high hands tend not to call all ins. AK AQ AJ however do. So if i am in with A4 and have been called with AJ, I am dominated. 
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Got some stick for this move. Would like opinions : J high hands tend not to call all ins. AK AQ AJ however do. So if i am in with A4 and have been called with AJ, I am dominated. 
    Posted by luvBWFC
    lol ok, what if u get called by KQ? (btw u av jus called an all in wiv J high!)
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Got some stick for this move. Would like opinions : lol ok, what if u get called by KQ? (btw u av jus called an all in wiv J high!)
    Posted by SHANXTA
    I dislike open shoving with A weak is what I mean. I felt committed to calling that one with J high as I already had 1/4 o fmy stack in
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: Got some stick for this move. Would like opinions : I dislike open shoving with A weak is what I mean. I felt committed to calling that one with J high as I already had 1/4 o fmy stack in
    Posted by luvBWFC
    ok, so why put a 1/4 of ur stack in?