You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

MTT early strategy?

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Which style do you advocate?

I currently go with the TK, Harrington thought of playing tight and playing your cards. Tourneys can't be won early but can be lost? So save the moves till later.

But I can't help but notice that a lot of the big tourney players on here often crash early. And I've heard arguments you should sweep up the easy money and that a big stack is crucial to bully everyone else?

Once I get deep I think I can hold my own when on my A game. But I really struggle with decisions early on.

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    ABC poker for a few levels a must
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: MTT early strategy?:
    ABC poker for a few levels a must
    Posted by waynecure
    Thus thought I Wayne.

But I keep in touch with the tourney lobby and often see hitherto big winners crash out early?
  • edited August 2010
    i agree with wayne. unless its fast paced in whcih case making moves is also a must
  • edited August 2010
    i agree with wayne. unless its fast paced in whcih case making moves is also a must
    Posted by The_Don90
    I used to also.

But am wondering when I see loads of big name winners of Sky tourneys crashing early in tourneys.

Ain't arguin with you Don or Wayn, I pretty much agree with you, but it would be interesting to hear from someone who advocates something else.

And if everyone's playing ABC, maybe it makes sense to make moves? Goddamn this game is complicated and ever changing.
  • edited August 2010
    i just played in one of those freerolls and id say pick any decent hand and shove lol..............................
  • edited August 2010
    totally depends on the tournament. If it's a deepstacked, slow blind event- most good players won't be messing around with air shoves and crazy moves early on (unless it's a really cheap buyin). Whereas, in BH and faster paced tournaments, it makes sense to just gamble on any half decent hand early on- if you hit big, you're set for a big tournament win, if you don't- you're out.

The reasoning is that tournaments are unpredictable, and if you wait an hour to have your first race- there's every chance you lose it and have lost an hour of your time. If your first race is within 5 minutes, you've either wasted 5 minutes, or left yourself enough space to have a race and still be alive. If your BR doesn't mind the tournament fee, then it's a far more efficient use of your time, and instead of barely cashing in 20/30 out of 100 tournaments, and possibly breaking even, you'd probably run extremely deep in 5/10, making more money and spending far less time.
  • edited August 2010
      The next time you are watching the show, make a note of the top5 the first time they show the leaderboard and then see if they are even mentioned later on.

The players that are very aggro early on tend not to run deep. The reason you see the top players going out early in a lot of these tournaments is that they are trying to build a stack up in the early stages for the all important middle stages of the tournaments.The middle stage of the tournament is where the real edge of these players comes in and they can build their stacks nicely and relatively easily if they have the chips going into it.

Although you can not win the tournament in the early or middle stages, the early stages set up the middle and the middle defines the cashes and final tables.Once you get to the end of the tourny luck takes over much more so the skill comes earlier when you can get the stack to hopefully offset the bad luck.

So the strategy i would suggest early on is to set aside some of your chips for a bit of a gamble to try and build the stack up.But mainly use this stage to accumulate chips and set yourself up for the middle stages of the tourny.
  • edited August 2010
    It depends on the table dynamics , in my experiance if you have a very tight table i will try to bully them and hoover some chips up, if the table is calling and playing alot of hands i will tighten up for first few levels

think tight is right but sometimes you have to make some moves earlier
  • edited August 2010
    i think there is a good argument for both strategy's, tbh i couldn't say that one was better than the other, how my table is playing would determine what approach i would take
  • edited August 2010
      The next time you are watching the show, make a note of the top5 the first time they show the leaderboard and then see if they are even mentioned later on.   Posted by Talon
    Kind of a given as your looking at about 1 % of the field.. also the top 5 players arent necesssarily those playing the above mentioned hyperaggresive style, its more likely they got lucky with a monster in a 3 way pot.

i think shud just play in a style that you are comfortable with, it gets ugly wen ppl try to force stlyes, be free & mixitup
  • edited August 2010
    playing pots is fun, folding isnt