You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Omaha Shove from Behind

edited August 2010 in The Poker Clinic
My first hand post in the Poker Clinic.

10/20 PLO

F was raising pretty much every pot to £1 pre.

Obviously I knew I was behind, had I checked I could have been shoved into so it would have been a hard call.  So I wanted to push F off the pot so I was just against the one player with my many outs.  Hope that makes sense.

How badly did I play this?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
a Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £33.38
b Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £7.64
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • K

Machka Call   £0.20 £0.50 £26.77
c Call   £0.20 £0.70 £12.15
d Call   £0.20 £0.90 £6.31
F Raise   £1.00 £1.90 £33.92
a Fold        
b Call   £0.80 £2.70 £6.84
Machka Call   £0.80 £3.50 £25.97
c Call   £0.80 £4.30 £11.35
d Call   £0.80 £5.10 £5.51
Flop

• A

b Check        
Machka Bet   £3.83 £8.93 £22.14
c Fold        
d Call   £3.83 £12.76 £1.68
F Call   £3.83 £16.59 £30.09
b Fold        
Turn

Machka Bet   £16.59 £33.18 £5.55
d All-in   £1.68 £34.86 £0.00
F Fold        
Machka Unmatched bet   £14.91 £19.95 £20.46
Machka Show
  • Q
  • K

d Show
  • Q
  • K

River

d Win Pair of 7s £19.05   £19.05

Comments

• edited August 2010
    fold pre, you have a trashy hand and you will be OOP

I dont play lolmaha but even I know that hand is not good enough to even see a flop with.
  • edited August 2010
  • edited August 2010
      I have looked through this hand several times and so little of it makes sense. First of all when dealing with someone who is uber aggressive preflop the first thing you have to do is tighten your range and make sure you have at least 3 nut drawing potentials in your hand. Then if you hit the flop or a big draw then you continue otherwise fold with minimum losses. The one thing not to do ( and i advocate this in any situation ) is call with any 4 and hope to get very lucky.

Now here you have 2 nut drawing KQ and 63 and 2 close to nut drawing K3 suited and Q6 suited, so this is close to the edge of calling but more than acceptable.You did the right thing in betting out on this flop with the nut flush draw and a gutshot and somehow got called by someone for two thirds of their stack with a gutshot and the sixth nut flush draw.The turn brought you another gutshot so again i like the bet and this time you only get the one customer who somehow is now ahead and wins.

As far as your play is concerned i liked it a lot and it is good winning play. The need to bet big draws and bet to protect made hands is paramount in PLO and you did this well.Opponent F was obviously just trying to  blag his way through the hand and obviously calls the flop bet with air and rightly folds on the turn. Opponent D however made 3 major errors and one good play. Preflop that is an instafold hand unless you can get an opponent heads up, so the call knowomg a raise would follow is awful. Then to call the raise with such a bad hand is also awful.Calling two thirds of their stack on the flop with a gutshot and a bad flush draw is about as bad a call as i have ever seen.Their call on the turn was correct however because they had committed them selves to the pot with the bad calling on previous streets.

To make an analogy of how good their hand was and the level of their play, it is the equivalent of limping UTG with 84 off suit and then calling a big raise preflop. They had a truly awful starting hand and yet were prepared to commit one sixth of their stack just to see a flop.

It is easy to play against players who know the game, it is harder but still doable to play against the uber aggressive players. But it is very difficult to play against people who show no knowledge of what constitutes a good hand and also have no knowledge of where the fold button is or how to use it.

In a nutshell you played it well and got caught by someone who should never have even been in the pot. Unlucky but keep it going.
  • edited August 2010
    ^how did he play it well when they should of folded pre?